Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "while I'm there"..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TRS63
Hello all,

slowly I am coming to the point of thinking about putting the engine back..but now is also the point for some preventive maintenance on it!

The start:
-engine is the original 1,8l with L-Jet
-it worked all good until I stopped it and removed the engine for rust repair last August
-fuel pump is approx 2 years old

What is planned:
-oil change of course
-oil+air filter of course
-all fuel lines, engine side but also the ones in the tunnel (stainless steel ones) and under the tank

I don't want to invest so much as it was a good running unit and I don't want to overdo. But I want a reliable car and more than that as much safety as possible (especially fire-risks).
I am also unsure what the future will be : carbs or modern FI with ITBs ? I am missing the clean look and admission sound with the current setup. So no unnecessary invest in the L-Jet. What is sure: I will stay in the future with a 4 cylinders (but probably a bigger one) for weight reasons.

-->do I need to change injectors sealings ? If yes, which ones?
-->something else ?

Thanks for the inputs

Antoine
Shivers
How many miles on the engine? If older, and it was me I would be replacing the front and rear seals, the V belt, the TO bearing and depending on the life left, maybe the clutch. The seals are not much, mostly your time.
TRS63
I don't know the mileage..really low the last 15 years, like 6-8000 miles in 15 years..

Thanks for your inputs I will check these !

Antoine
914Mels
The small injector seals that fit into the intake tubes are easy. Push rod tube seals are way easier out of the car and not a lot of money. The rubber around the engine compartment is usually pretty toasty and easy to do with the engine out.
wonkipop
as per @Shivers .

do those end seals with the engine out.
you might consider diving in and doing the oil cooler seals, but you have to get a bit off to get in there and do that.
you will kick youself if you don't do the end seals and have to pull the engine again.

most of the rest of it is fine whatever happens along the way with the engine in the car.
perhaps slightly less convenient but if you don't want to do unnecessary work that would be the way to go.

you might be lucky with injectors, but the hoses might have dried out.
again you can do that once you get it back in car and fired up and check it out.
no big deal. perhaps slightly less convenient.

exciting for you. beerchug.gif

ps i did not pull the engine on mine when i recommissioned.
just the gearbox and did the clutch flywheel and rear seal.
the front seal started to leak after i got it back on the road again.
and i thought, ah ....f k.
but then after a couple of good long runs by miracle it stopped.

those seals are well worth doing.
bkrantz
Any indication of pushrod tube seal oil leaks? That's another job that is low cost and much, much easier with the engine out.
SKL1
Oh heck, while the engine is out, just add a new engine mount, oil tank, assorted hoses etc, and a six cylinder engine... smile.gif
930cabman
What is there NOT to change "while you are in there"?
BK911
Rubber brake lines. Rears much easier with engine out of the way.
Verify rear calipers work.
Rebuild if necessary.
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(BK911 @ Mar 18 2022, 06:56 AM) *

Rubber brake lines. Rears much easier with engine out of the way.
Verify rear calipers work.
Rebuild if necessary.

Bingo. The rear soft lines are one of the hardest jobs to do on a car with the motor installed.
TRS63
Thanks so much for all your inputs!!

Brake lines are already planned, as is the rubber around the engine. I was unsure about the engine itself smile.gif

I will look for those end seals, thanks!

Antoine
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.