Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starter bolt size and/or part number
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
moldygreg
Hi all-

Searching through all my materials and am coming up short

What is the size and/or part number for the starter bolt? Also, best source for a Bosch starter?

Many thanks in advance!

Greg
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(moldygreg @ Mar 18 2022, 07:03 PM) *

Hi all-

Searching throught all my materials and am coming up short

What is the size and/or part number for the starter bolt? Also, best source for a Bosch starter?

Many thanks in advance!

Greg

The starter bolt is M10 x 1.5 150mm length. You will also need an M10 x 1.5 nut and spring washer.

Any reputable Porsche parts house will have a starter that will work well for you. The factory Bosch starter has been superceded all the way to the one used on the 911 Carrera 3.2, so the old ones are not available new. And the current starter sold by Porsche/Bosch looks nothing like the factory starter. It uses more modern tech and will spin the engine much faster than an original starter.

You can always go with a gear drive starter. I use the same IMI gear drive starter on both Betty's 4 cylinder, and on my monster 4.0 engine. It has no problem spinning either.

If you want to go original, I am sure someone on here has an old SR17s starter. Or if you have an original six, an SR19x. You could get one and have it rebuilt by a reputable shop.

Hope that helps.

Clay

moldygreg
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 18 2022, 05:14 PM) *

QUOTE(moldygreg @ Mar 18 2022, 07:03 PM) *

Hi all-

Searching throught all my materials and am coming up short

Many thanks in advance!

Greg

The starter bolt is M10 x 1.5 150mm length. You will also need an M10 x 1.5 nut and spring washer.

Any reputable Porsche parts house will have a starter that will work well for you. The factory Bosch starter has been superceded all the way to the one used on the 911 Carrera 3.2, so the old ones are not available new. And the current starter sold by Porsche/Bosch looks nothing like the factory starter. It uses more modern tech and will spin the engine much faster than an original starter.

You can always go with a gear drive starter. I use the same IMI gear drive starter on both Betty's 4 cylinder, and on my monster 4.0 engine. It has no problem spinning either.

If you want to go original, I am sure someone on here has an old SR17s starter. Or if you have an original six, an SR19x. You could get one and have it rebuilt by a reputable shop.

Hope that helps.

Clay

Thanks Clay-

I wish I had a six!

It's a 'D' bolt, correct?

Greg
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.