Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch Pedal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
When I let out the clutch pedal, it makes a "creaky" noise are it comes up and a feeling. Some friction accompanies the clutch return.
First noticed this when I couldn't easily start off in1st.
IIRC, the pedal cluster is less than 10 years old.

Where should I start ?
ndfrigi
Good morning Jim! Try to apply some WD40 on your bushings of your pedal and see if the creaky noise will be gone. If not, maybe your clutch cable need replacement.
stownsen914
Could be bushings need lube as suggested, or bushings are worn/disintegrating.

Any chance you just replaced the clutch cable? I accidentally wrapped it around the throttle cable tube once while replacing - that made for a weird feeling clutch!
mlindner
Disconnect the clutch cable and see if pedal works OK, no sound or friction. Then onto the next, cable, trans plastic wheel etc.
jim_hoyland
Clutch cable replaced two years ago; pedal worked fine until recently. I believe the bushing is bronze.
Found this 2016 thread on the same issue,
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=50499&st=0
76-914
Spot weld on clutch tube came apart. Probably the front weld. beerchug.gif
bob164
Jim,
I can come over and help tomorrow sometime, text or call.
Bob
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(bob164 @ Mar 19 2022, 07:46 AM) *

Jim,
I can come over and help tomorrow sometime, text or call.
Bob

Thanks Bob, I have an appointment at PCH Garage first thing Monday. Jorge’s going to look at it. Back in 2016, a similiar thing happened
davenorcal
QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 19 2022, 07:12 AM) *

I just discovered the same thing has happened to my car. What tipped me off was the shift linkage was moving okay until I push in the clutch which causes the shift handle’s range of motion to be reduced. After inspection using the limited number of holes in the center floor tunnel it looks like just the front weld has come loose.

Has anyone come up with a way to surgically secure the cable tube? I really don’t want to cut an access hole in the center floor tunnel?
ndfrigi
QUOTE(davenorcal @ Apr 3 2022, 09:23 PM) *

I just discovered the same thing has happened to my car. What tipped me off was the shift linkage was moving okay until I push in the clutch which causes the shift handle’s range of motion to be reduced. After inspection using the limited number of holes in the center floor tunnel it looks like just the front weld has come loose.

Has anyone come up with a way to surgically secure the cable tube? I really don’t want to cut an access hole in the center floor tunnel?

What others did is just remove the shifter to get access to the clutch tube and they U shape clamp with screw (offcourse you will get 2 holes towards the driver side for the screw/nut.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=274079

Click to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
U-clamps are a hack repair. Remove the shift lever, clamp and plug weld through the tunnel side. Put a #2 Phillips in the tube to control blow through of the weld.

https://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/zTN_Trans_C...hTubeRepair.jpg
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Apr 3 2022, 09:52 PM) *

What others did is just remove the shifter to get access to the clutch tube and they U shape clamp with screw (offcourse you will get 2 holes towards the driver side for the screw/nut.

Click to view attachment

I like this approach.Cars still in the shop though, so Im kinda out of the loop
71six
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Apr 4 2022, 03:12 AM) *

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Apr 3 2022, 09:52 PM) *

Click to view attachment

I like this approach.Cars still in the shop though, so Im kinda out of the loop

I had a similar issue on my original 914-6 and it turned out to be the clutch cable deflection roller was failing, replaced it and all is well now.
gereed75
Mine squaks too and does not come out smooth.

Not sure what is meant by "clutch cable deflection roller". Is this referring to the one mounted back on trans?
Mikey914
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Apr 4 2022, 07:21 AM) *

Mine squaks too and does not come out smooth.

Not sure what is meant by "clutch cable deflection roller". Is this referring to the one mounted back on trans?

Yes that is the one. The OE one was a nylon. We made them from Delrin, and inexpensively. $16 everyday price with the new bushing too!
https://914rubber.com/clutch-cable-deflection-roller-1-1
burton73
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Apr 3 2022, 09:59 PM) *

U-clamps are a hack repair. Remove the shift lever, clamp and plug weld through the tunnel side. Put a #2 Phillips in the tube to control blow through of the weld.

https://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/zTN_Trans_C...hTubeRepair.jpg

What I did on my 6 #41

Bob BClick to view attachment
davep
Yes, a creaking sound is very often a failing weld on either end of the tube. I think the front end fails first, followed by the firewall end.
IronHillRestorations
Do you have problems grinding gear changes, particularly going in 1st or reverse? Because of the tension on the clutch cable it can transmit noises.

Starting front to back, it could be:
clutch pedal bushings
roll pin on the pedal pivot shaft
broken front cable trunion
broken clutch cable tube
pulley, or pulley bushing
rear cable trunion
throw out fork
cup bushing for TO fork
throw out bearing
Root_Werks
Jim,

My clutch pedal also creaks when coming back up. Turns out it's just my knee so I'm no help.

-Dan
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Apr 4 2022, 03:20 PM) *

Do you have problems grinding gear changes, particularly going in 1st or reverse? Because of the tension on the clutch cable it can transmit noises.

Starting front to back, it could be:
clutch pedal bushings
roll pin on the pedal pivot shaft
broken front cable trunion
broken clutch cable tube
pulley, or pulley bushing
rear cable trunion
throw out fork
cup bushing for TO fork
throw out bearing

No grinding during gear changes. Thanks for the list.At first I thought the sound/friction emanated from the pedal assembly. It’s not old, and BS assured me the bushings are brass.
Cars at my local shop waiting it’s turn.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Apr 5 2022, 01:33 PM) *

Jim,

My clutch pedal also creaks when coming back up. Turns out it's just my knee so I'm no help.

-Dan

We’ll knees are replaceable ? smile.gif
jim_hoyland
Turned out to be a loose clutch tube. My Indy repaired the tube by using rear-trunk torsion rod clamps. Also replaced the clutch cable; it had a couple of broken strands near the pulley.
jim_hoyland
Oops
Root_Werks
Sounds like an easy fix = good. I didn't weld on any extra support while my 914 was all apart. Hopefully I don't regret that in the future.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.