Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Creamsicle on BAT
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jhynesrockmtn
A new LE auction showed up on BAT yesterday. Resident OR based BAT favorite 911r is the seller. Anyone know the car?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-porsche-914-2-0-60/
Jett
I love the LE cars, but this one is wrong in many ways , starting from the hood and headlight alignment, rear trunk looks like someone slapped seam sealer over rust, door vents are rusting (not a good sign), but there was a large investment in black rattle cans.
rhodyguy
The aluminum flex, dryer vent, line for the aux fan is a nice touch.
tygaboy
Interesting. 911r cars are usually the "cream" of the crop, pardon the pun. I'm a little surprised to see him rep'ing a special car that's got so much incorrectness.
jagalyn
Photo 137 shows a poor repair of the front trunk weather seal channel when they replaced the front drivers fender… should have been much better in my opinion.

Click to view attachment

Lots of shades of orange.

Click to view attachment
jhynesrockmtn
Thank you for the replies. I got close to buying the Bumblebee that was previously on BAT. I've decided I probably can't afford a factory 6 at this point but may look for an LE. Preferably no on BAT :-)
orthobiz
Shades of orange: I agree but digital yellow/orange/red shades sometimes come out a bit wonky.

Paul

Forget it. I looked again: lots of different shades!!
mb911
QUOTE(jagalyn @ Mar 19 2022, 09:01 AM) *

Photo 137 shows a poor repair of the front trunk weather seal channel when they replaced the front drivers fender… should have been much better in my opinion.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The lighting is the issue with the Phoenix red. I can confirm that as my car is Phoenix red and really is interesting when light hits it.
wonkipop
QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 19 2022, 03:12 PM) *

QUOTE(jagalyn @ Mar 19 2022, 09:01 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The lighting is the issue with the Phoenix red. I can confirm that as my car is Phoenix red and really is interesting when light hits it.

yes.

very true re phoenix red.
mine can look like anything from red to orange depending on the light and time of year, whether its in the shadows or uv rich aus sunlight. thats even without studio light and cameras, just with human eye in real world!!!!
MCShack
This car is not in the LE CanAm registry... yet, but I have notified Jeff B. and Dave P. about the car. It has had a repaint in some of the repair areas and someone painted the Targa bar top and side sails in Phoenix Red, or Phoenix Orange as I like to call it.

The car also has a Brown vinyl interior and I know they could be ordered with Tan vinyl interiors, but not seen one with such a dark shade of Tan, maybe it's the orange throwing me off... shades.gif

There are a few other things, but the VIN and Chassis numbers fall in line with the known examples from the LE CanAm registry.

IPB Image
wonkipop
@MCShack .

i have an ordinary 74, brown interior is that shade of brown and about the same.
tan was lighter shade of brown.
think there were three colors. black, brown and tan (or what i would call tan).

interestingly the carpet visible in that photo does look original for that brown interior.
its lost its pronounced white fleck, which it seemed to do with age.
i have bits of my old carpet floating around in the cupboard that i replaced when i did conversion 30 years ago, it looks the same as that.
DBF
The PPS for the car states it came with a black leatherette interior. It does look nice with tan though, so I could see why someone changed it when they re-did the interior. At one time, these were inexpensive used cars so they felt free to add some orange here and there and change the interior.
poorsche914
It has an OEM LE air dam piratenanner.gif

driving.gif
wonkipop
QUOTE(DBF @ Mar 19 2022, 06:42 PM) *

The PPS for the car states it came with a black leatherette interior. It does look nice with tan though, so I could see why someone changed it when they re-did the interior. At one time, these were inexpensive used cars so they felt free to add some orange here and there and change the interior.

there are stories of interiors being ripped out at the dealers and exchanged for a color the customer wanted.
who knows.
could have been as you say, someone doing a nice fix up along the way from a good donor car, or it could have been a showroom negotiation from new.

factory COA would say what it came out of factory with? but not necessarily the showroom?

i like the brown interior with the white and orange.
makes me think whoever did whenever they did it was on to something.
porsche should have done it originally?
i even like the "phoenix orange" sail panels.

with badges etc on engine lid looks like it has been owned by a serious type along the way and looked after.

jhynesrockmtn
Who knows with the COA and accuracy. With the 356's, it seems the COA will generally show how the car left the dealership, assuming the dealers recorded changes that they made. My C Coupe that for most of it's life was thought to be original and matching and shows that on the COA, actually left the factory as an SC and it's bits were swapped out at Brumos before deliver to the 1st customer. The changes were recorded on the Kardex at Porsche which I ordered as the 4th owner.
StarBear
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Mar 19 2022, 07:50 PM) *

@MCShack .

i have an ordinary 74, brown interior is that shade of brown and about the same.
tan was lighter shade of brown.
think there were three colors. black, brown and tan (or what i would call tan).

interestingly the carpet visible in that photo does look original for that brown interior.
its lost its pronounced white fleck, which it seemed to do with age.
i have bits of my old carpet floating around in the cupboard that i replaced when i did conversion 30 years ago, it looks the same as that.

agree.gif Me, too.
JeffBowlsby
Not sure what to make of all in this photo. Love the very rare dealership inspection label/stamp. Tape over the chassis #? Rough edge of the Schutz seam sealer?
74ravenna
It's interesting to see all the early maintenance records showing issues that needed to be tweaked when the car was new.

At just under 4000 mile is was running rough and the Oil Temp Sensor Plate needed to be resealed.
Bushing and seals for the speedo drive gear were replaced early on.
Left axle seal at 5600 miles.
At 2400 miles the speedo-head needle needed to be replaced.
Idling problems at 668 miles.
Plus other little issues here and there.

Were those problems de rigueur for 914s (911s also?).

Were 914s ready to hit the road right off the ship or did Technicians in the U.S. have to
put them through a "tweaking" before they were sold?

Also, what was used for the "over-seas protective coating?
Shivers
QUOTE(74ravenna @ Mar 20 2022, 11:27 AM) *

Were 914s ready to hit the road right off the ship or did Technicians in the U.S. have to

I believe they coated them with Fe2O3

Mine was 10 when I got it and the FI was a real problem child. Finally got tired of it and went to the dark side.
jhynesrockmtn
QUOTE(74ravenna @ Mar 20 2022, 11:27 AM) *

It's interesting to see all the early maintenance records showing issues that needed to be tweaked when the car was new.

At just under 4000 mile is was running rough and the Oil Temp Sensor Plate needed to be resealed.
Bushing and seals for the speedo drive gear were replaced early on.
Left axle seal at 5600 miles.
At 2400 miles the speedo-head needle needed to be replaced.
Idling problems at 668 miles.
Plus other little issues here and there.

Were those problems de rigueur for 914s (911s also?).

I have a bunch of records from the original owner of my 1970. There are handwritten notes for many dealership visits with various problems at very low miles. Looks like quality issues, at least with my car, were numerous.
ejm
QUOTE(74ravenna @ Mar 20 2022, 02:27 PM) *

Cosmoline. At the dealership they'd spray the cars with kersosene to soften it then use a steam jenny to clean it off.
DBF
The car shows a number of visits to the dealer when it was new. A friend of mine bought a new 2.0 914 in '74, and took it back to the dealer several times with numerous running problems. He ended up trading it in on a new Trans Am after 6 months. I think we know more now than we did then on how to make the older cars reliable runners.
Bullethead
Remarkable final number: $65,000 huh.gif
rjames
blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.