Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: another question regarding flywheel installation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DRPHIL914
the full story is i pulled the transmission to figure out if i had a RMS leak or transmission output shaft seal leak, and it was both, but mostly the transmission seal was more of an issue.
So… first off, now in reassembly, and when it came out there was no felt washer , and i know where it should be but my question is, should the pilot bearing be flush to the flywheel on the side of the felt washer or should the bearing be pushed forward to allow the felt washer fit flush with flywheel surface ?

second part is can i reuse the flywheel bolts? i have a new flywheel washer , and i have new bolts from type4store, but they don’t have the ridges on the flange like the old one(old ones are only 9 months old)

picture shows the new pilot bearing installed but not all the way to back of flywheel(i should say it’s flush to the back on side of where the felt washer will go and washers bolts etc)
mgphoto
You can use the bolts again, you must use the new washer.
The felt washer is flush with the flywheel surface, your needle bearing needs to be pushed further into the crank. It should be pushed into the flywheel so the felt washer is flush with the clutch side. The felt is there to prevent the grease from migrating from the needle bearing to the clutch, a small amount of white grease in the bearing before attaching the transmission.
Mark Henry
agree.gif and yes the pilot bearing sits proud crank side.
Also the pilot bearing, one side of the race is square and the other is slightly rounded, the rounded side faces out towards the trans. But note some new pilot bearings are square both sides, so it doesn't matter.
I've been using a dab of swepco grease for years, but any high temp grease will work.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.