Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bowden cable replacement tips
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
advman89
I"m sure it's been covered somewhere.

The Flapper cables look straightforward, but the fan one disappears under the airbox. Does the gas tank need to come out to replace that one?

Robarabian
Im in this process as well. More concerned with trying to get the Bowden cable grommet in. This one is killing me. Anyone with a tip to get something so large and stiff into a small hole....

Don't say it...
bdstone914
QUOTE(Robarabian @ Mar 20 2022, 03:10 PM) *

Im in this process as well. More concerned with trying to get the Bowden cable grommet in. This one is killing me. Anyone with a tip to get something so large and stiff into a small hole....

Don't say it...

Try wrapping dental floss in the groove of the gromett and pull the lip through. A heat gun will soften the rubber. And KY jelly works good for a lubricant.
KELTY360
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Mar 20 2022, 03:02 PM) *

QUOTE(Robarabian @ Mar 20 2022, 03:10 PM) *

Don't say it...

Try wrapping dental floss in the groove of the gromett and pull the lip through. A heat gun will soften the rubber. And KY jelly works good for a lubricant.

popcorn[1].gif
Robarabian
@bdstone thank you. I fought and fought and fought.

Ultimately, I decided to put some slits (5) on one side. The grommet seems to only go in from the Frunk side. So gently holding it with a long nose plier, I was able to start one part of my "pie" and as I got one section in, I used a small flat blade screw driver to pry in the other sections of the pie until the entire grommet was through. As with another task in life, I spent a hour trying to figure it out, and 6 minutes to do the task. From the frunk side, it looks normal, and the dash will hide my pie'd grommet.

advman89
My initial question stands…do I need to pull my gas tank to replace the fan speed cable?
Robarabian
QUOTE(advman89 @ Mar 20 2022, 06:59 PM) *

My initial question stands…do I need to pull my gas tank to replace the fan speed cable?

All I can tell you is that it is easier to get hands under there with the tank out. My car has been pretty well disassembled for some time, so I am installing all this with the tank out. With it in, I would find this to be pretty impossible. It is hard enough with all the clips and cables with it out, I don't know how you could do it with it in.

I didn't mean to hijack your post.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.