Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Your thoughts on this repair?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rmital
Passenger side
The engine shelf is toast too
Have a local ambitious welder
Maybe $2k-ish?

This car will be a beater, local fun car.
Click to view attachment
Superhawk996
Your avitar is correct. . . . you're an optimist.

You're in for $450 of sheet metal for the suspension console and shelf. That assumes that the hell hole is solid enough to weld these parts to which isn't likely.

Don't forget the trailing arm gusset bow ties from 914Rubber $35.00. Of course you're assuming the outer suspension console isn't as rusted as this inner.

Now add in the many, many hours to remove old parts, prep metal for welding, forming and tweaking of parts to fit properly to actually weld them . . . . No way I'd even consider doing a job like that for $2k.

I had to replace the suspension console on my first teener in the early 90's. it was nowhere near as bad as that.

If I recall correctly the job cost me about $1500 in 1990's money and that was with me dropping the engine out in the body shop parking lot on my own so they could even get access to the area to do do the work. Oh, and I provided the sheetmetal. The $1500 was just labor.

mepstein
It’s a $3,500-4k job depending on the shop. But there’s always more carnage from the battery to the suspension console. Usually the engine bar mount and long needs work.

It’s become easy to order sheet metal so people tend to jump on rusty cars. The labor can be 10x the cost of the parts just because so much prep is needed to even get the area ready for installation. It’s also crucially important to get the alignment right.

But I’m all for saving another one. beerchug.gif
930cabman
Remember all 914's came equipped with rust from the factory. The repair work for this stuff adds up quickly and can easily get into the $5.k range in a blink. Do the doors open and close currently? If so I just may drive it like hell.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(930cabman @ Mar 21 2022, 06:57 AM) *

If so I just may drive it like hell.

I think you missed the photo of the suspension console completely compromised by rust though. Not wise to be driving that.
mepstein
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Mar 21 2022, 08:01 AM) *

QUOTE(930cabman @ Mar 21 2022, 06:57 AM) *

If so I just may drive it like hell.

I think you missed the photo of the suspension console completely compromised by rust though. Not wise to be driving that.

They collect water and battery acid and rust from the inside out.
My first 914 had the passenger tire leaning in more than the driver. It kept on leaning in more until it was rubbing the inside quarter. That's when I learned all about the suspension console.
rmital
QUOTE(930cabman @ Mar 21 2022, 05:57 AM) *

…..Do the doors open and close currently?

yes, that's just it.
longs are solid
doors shut wonderfully....no gaps or sagging
there are other rust issues, not structural though

so yeah, I'd be happy to buy the sheet metal from RD then hand over to the shop.

I do have a relationship with the owner....so might be a little easy on me with the cost.
and not my main 914; this would be the one I'd drive around town and not care about.
….just don't want it to fold in half.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.