Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Differences between 1.8L and 2.0L tin
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
echocanyons
With our current build, we converted our 1.8 heads to 2.0l version.
Because of this our 1.8 l tin won’t work.

I’m hopeful that we can still use some of our tin, because it’s in good shape.

Are there parts that are interchangeable and parts that are not?

What are the primary differences between the two?

sportlicherFahrer
Top tins are different, everything else is the same. If your charcoal canister is in the front trunk, you'll need the L side tin that has the port for the evap hose if you dont have a fan housing with the evap port on the R side.

Main difference is the spark plug hole locations.
930cabman
Yes, as far as I can tell the top tins have a different spark plug location. Probably not too hard to fill and re cut, especially if your 1.8 tins are in good shape. 2.0 top tins in serviceable condition are in short supply these days
Dave_Darling
Agreed the only difference is the location of the spark plug holes--and you can weld up the 1.8 ones and cut new holes in the 2.0 locations if you are a template to follow.

NOTE: The 75-76 tin has some differences underneath, and the 70-72 lower tins are different from all of the above.

--DD
Van B
Dave’s post and this thread are giving me deja vu… I swear I’ve seen him answer this exact question in the exact same way!
echocanyons
Thank you for the great information.

Sounds like someone should produce these in fiberglass or carbon or carbon-Kevlar
930cabman
QUOTE(echocanyons @ Mar 21 2022, 04:18 PM) *

Thank you for the great information.

Sounds like someone should produce these in fiberglass or carbon or carbon-Kevlar

As enthusiasm has been rising for the 914, this looks like a business opportunity. Too bad, I am up to my eye balls in self employment, but making $ to fund my "habit"
Van B
Sounds fancy, but I would be thrilled if someone made them out of aluminum!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.