Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Some old photos to share
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
slivel
I was scanning old photos and came across these from a trip to the Historics in 1998. Thought I'd share. Wish I had a better camera.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Loved the historics at the peninsula in 1998, @MATTYLITE sitting in the 917/30. I recall that the drivers were Hans Stuck & Olaf Länge that weekend !
Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
I was there. I was even out on track for the lunch-time parade laps!

--DD
bkrantz
Hey, I was there, too, for my second or third time at the Historics. I took a ton of photos, back in the film days. These are lower res versions of big scan files--if anyone wants a hi-res file, let me know.
bkrantz
More
bkrantz
More
bkrantz
More
bkrantz
More
bkrantz
More
bkrantz
More
sixnotfour
yes Stazak and I was there ............... 19 & 121where fersh restos.. The 916 was affordable...
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Mar 20 2022, 05:15 PM) *

More

Great shots!

And the first shot here, has the cars that turned in the race of the weekend—#132 911 ST with Barth at the wheel vs #59 914-6 with Haywood at the wheel. I remember thinking the 917/30 was gonna put on the best show, but then the Chevrons (?) or something else cleaned house.

Turned out, the best show was the last (?) show, with an ST and a GT duking it out…
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Mar 20 2022, 06:30 PM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Mar 20 2022, 05:15 PM) *

More

Great shots!

And the first shot here, has the cars that turned in the race of the weekend—#132 911 ST with Barth at the wheel vs #59 914-6 with Haywood at the wheel. I remember thinking the 917/30 was gonna put on the best show, but then the Chevrons (?) or something else cleaned house.

Turned out, the best show was the last (?) show, with an ST and a GT duking it out…

And if memory serves me correct, I saw the #59 drafting #132 (front straight) final lap and then Hurley shot around Jurgen by a car length just to grab the checker flag.
number40_914.jpg
siverson
Hey I was there too. My first time to the historics and I drove up in my 914 AND slept in the car. Ha. I wouldn't do that again!

Anyways, here are a couple of my old photos...

-Steve
siverson
Cairo94507
@siverson - Hey Steve, I am pretty sure that is Ernie King's silver 914-6 in the 2nd picture you posted. That was a nice car; wonder where it is now? beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment
flipb
Great photos; thanks for sharing!

And kinda crazy to think about 914s at historics in 1998 when they were 20-something years old. Like a first-gen Boxster being at a historic event today.
krazykonrad
Thanks for posting! beerchug.gif
Dion
Those are great pics, nice trip down memory lane. Thanks for posting.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Mar 20 2022, 08:31 PM) *

And if memory serves me correct, I saw the #59 drafting #132 (front straight) final lap and then Hurley shot around Jurgen by a car length just to grab the checker flag.
number40_914.jpg

Sounds about right—I remember it was a barn burner of a race, right down to the end!

I wasn't all that far from you, standing at Turn 11, and remember that 914-6 leaving the exit and out-accelerating a Cobra. I thought, Suuuure, that's just a 2.5… Of course, Hurley was in #59, and who knows who was in the Shelby—but the Cobra wasn't soft-pedaling it IIRC.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Mar 20 2022, 08:31 PM) *

number40_914.jpg

Sounds about right—I remember it was a barn burner of a race, right down to the end!

I wasn't all that far from you, standing at Turn 11, and remember that 914-6 leaving the exit and out-accelerating a Cobra. I thought, Suuuure, that's just a 2.5… Of course, Hurley was in #59, and who knows who was in the Shelby—but the Cobra wasn't soft-pedaling it IIRC.

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 21 2022, 08:13 AM) *

@siverson - Hey Steve, I am pretty sure that is Ernie King's silver 914-6 in the 2nd picture you posted. That was a nice car; wonder where it is now? beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment

Wow, that is Ernie's silver 914-6, and my red 914 next to it. Is the 914 on the other side of Ernie's car the one that donated its parts to Ethan's blue 914 six conversion? idea.gif

Ernie's car is alive and well with a friend in Arizona these days, but may be back in Northern California soon.
siverson
And some others...

siverson
Vroooom
siverson
Weird one at Pebble Beach...

-Steve
gms
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 20 2022, 07:20 PM) *

yes Stazak and I was there ............... 19 & 121where fersh restos.. The 916 was affordable...

thanks for posting the pictures, wow that brings back memories!
Bob Garretson was driving Lew Kinst's #1 the Kremer 914/6 GT.
That was a great race between Hurley and Jürgen! Jeff and I were in the grand stands for that one.
gms
forgot the pix
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
@horizontally-opposed I could just imagine that post- race pit conversation with Hurley and the Cobra guy, "Well sir it is a well tuned VW-Porsche and had a little more go-pedal remaining when I passed you Sir".

My nephew had a sheet metal biz in the '90s and made the 5 piece 9146 engine tin kits for the 6-conversion guys. The #59 Brumos 9146 needed the piece (went on the oil cooler side) for the car; it was overnighted UPS to Fla. (NLA from factory) and installed just in time for the '98 Historics at Laguna Seca.
driving.gif
number40_914.jpg
MM1
Great stuff - thanks for posting!
wonkipop
@bkrantz

really great photos.
thanks for posting those up.
i enjoyed looking through them.

i got to get there one day to that circuit.
see the cork screw.
its as good as the bathurst dipper.
campbellcj
Very cool stuff... I'm pretty sure my first time there was 2000 and I should have some photos. I've never regretted a trek up to Laguna.
9146GUY
I was there too.

Click to view attachment

Interesting story as I was entered as a nothing driver and got to run the car in the normal run group.

Bob Akin on the other hand was being honored by Porsche and was allowed to drive the car along with all the factory guys.

Great weekend. A lot of then came back to Watkins Glen and ran Brian Redmonds 50/50 Tribute at Watkins Glen a couple of weeks later.

Vintage racing was so much fun.....
Maltese Falcon
Kinesis Wheels exhibiting their trick 9146, & random race car in the pits !
Click to view attachment
FlacaProductions
I was there, too - my first big Porsche event.
forrestkhaag
Me too. I was working in Carmel at the time and driving a yellow over black 912E while working on one of my 356 adventures..... Fun event in the back in the day.

beerchug.gif
Root_Werks
Very cool, thanks for sharing! You don't see that many air cooled at anything anymore.
strawman
This is a great thread. As I was flipping through, I realized that the green 1975 914 in post #22 is now my wife’s car! I could tell by the non-factory green respray, the hood crest and it being lowered on steelies. The proof is the pic below of the paddock pass I found under the driver seat when we pulled it out of Suzie's garage from an almost 20-year slumber. It reminded me that she told us she was so happy driving the car to the Monterey Historics and that she was elated that we’ll now enjoy her car.

Click to view attachment

Here is the car today, albeit it a bit dusty in our garage. Nancy really enjoys driving it, and still tells everyone how much fun she had at the WCR we hosted here in San Luis Obispo last October. I kept the car essentially the same after restoring/updating the fuel/shifting/braking system, but it now rides on lighter Mahle's. Still has the 1980s-era cassette deck, the Albins lower ring/pinion, and the autocross suspension setup that Suzie raced in the 1990s.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.