Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wheel hub question - problem with disc bolt threads
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
roundtwo
Want to remove the rear discs. Of course a couple of the one out of two bolts that hold the disc onto the hub are impossible to remove. Each one rusted with a messed up Phillips head. So, I was able to drill out the head of eachr of the remaining bolts and now I’m stuck with each hub having one bad thread.

1. Is it difficult to remove each hub? I have another car that I could swap hubs with. Looks like a bunch of work.
2. Or, is there a way to create new holes and threads each of those in the existing hubs?
3. Use just one bolt on each disc to hold it to the hub and then once the tires back on with the Lugnuts that’s enough to hold the disc in place on the hub.

4.Better ideas?

Picture one is the remaining portion of the bolts stuck in the hub. Picture two is the good threaded hole in the hub- reusable.

Thanks. Todd Click to view attachment
mepstein
One screw is fine. The screw just holds in in place until the wheel is tightened down.
ndfrigi
even modern cars only have 1 screw to hold the rotor to the hub.
porschetub
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 21 2022, 04:21 PM) *

One screw is fine. The screw just holds in in place until the wheel is tightened down.

Yep that's correct,started thinking he had stripped wheel bolt threads,they look a little rough or that the pic ?.
roundtwo
Those are the answers I wanted to hear. piratenanner.gif
The threads for the lugs a little funky, but are actually in better shape than the picture reflects.
Thanks for the help.
cholland_
I have the same single broken screw on both of my rear wheel hubs and am only using one screw to hold the disc in place.

Instead of dealing with old Philips screws, I used new VW screws which have a Torx head, hopefully they're way less likely to strip out. I also made sure to use anti-seize on them: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B09CGYN5HB...=UTF8&psc=1
Chaznaster
Best to not remove the hub until it is absolutely necessary. I understand it usually trashes the wheel bearing.

I found phillips head screws to replace the original flat head ones at Belmtric. M6 x 1.0mm pitch x 12 long (overall). Should make it easier to get them out next time.
bkrantz
For the future, my strategy is never try to loosen the disk retaining screws with a normal screwdriver. I always use a hand impact driver. It provides a shock to break free any rust plus a force that keeps the bit in the screw slot. Not sure it would have worked here, but IMO less likely to strip out the screw slot, and maybe better on frozen screws (along with Kroil and heat).

I also replaced the stock screws with stainless.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Mar 21 2022, 08:11 PM) *

For the future, my strategy is never try to loosen the disk retaining screws with a normal screwdriver. I always use a hand impact driver. It provides a shock to break free any rust plus a force that keeps the bit in the screw slot. Not sure it would have worked here, but IMO less likely to strip out the screw slot, and maybe better on frozen screws (along with Kroil and heat).

I also replaced the stock screws with stainless.

agree.gif a hand impact does in one second what struggling with a screwdriver can never
do
inexpensive too
Chaznaster
Be sure to use a narrow bit on the hand impact. I had a wider one and the edges ended up buried in the hub because the head shape is conical ... That led me to drilling everything out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.