Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone runnin' chrome steel wheels(chromies)?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jasons
I'm considering using some chrome steel VW/Porsche style wheels sans hubcaps. I found 7" and 8" ones from jbugs that I could run under flares. I just wondered if anyone else is doing this and if they have pics. I'm looking for a vintage/race/utilitarian look and these might be the ticket.
Mueller
got a picture??

as for myself, I think the chrome rims are fugly without the hubcap....

going to run spacers to help fill up the wheelwells??

Aaron Cox
4 or 5 lug chromies????

AA
jasons
QUOTE (Mueller @ Aug 1 2005, 01:57 PM)
got a picture??

as for myself, I think the chrome rims are fugly without the hubcap....

going to run spacers to help fill up the wheelwells??

I don't know what the backspacing is, I haven't gotten that far yet. I'm trying to stay away from spacers, at least on the front. BTW I was planning on using the Diamond Racing wheels.

I like the look without the hubcaps on some cars. Like on the 550 Spyders and 356 race cars? I'm not sure it would work on the 914, thats why I'm looking for pics.

Jbugs doesn't have a pic of the 7's and 8's, but they are just the typical slotted steel chromies. Early Porsche style but with the 4-Lug pattern for VW's.
jasons
Heres the page, goto the very bottom.

JBugs
Mueller
I doubt the Diamond wheels are made for hubcaps, so the rims will have a totally different look....you don't "have" to run spacers, it's just that most of the 7" rims sit too far inboard with GT flares to look decent, most people run a 1" spacer ( I think the factory did as well...I think)

Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Mueller @ Aug 1 2005, 03:06 PM)
I doubt the Diamond wheels are made for hubcaps, so the rims will have a totally different look....you don't "have" to run spacers, it's just that most of the 7" rims sit too far inboard with GT flares to look decent, most people run a 1" spacer ( I think the factory did as well...I think)

then why not run 8's if there is an extra inch of room???/
jasons
QUOTE (Mueller @ Aug 1 2005, 02:06 PM)
I doubt the Diamond wheels are made for hubcaps, so the rims will have a totally different look....you don't "have" to run spacers, it's just that most of the 7" rims sit too far inboard with GT flares to look decent, most people run a 1" spacer ( I think the factory did as well...I think).  

I should be specific, I was planning on using the Diamonds before I found these.

No the diamonds are NASCAR style, which is OK I guess. The only thing that scares me about them is they are Lug-Centric not Hub-Centric. I need to find someone that can balance Lug-Centric 4x130 wheels. I don't know how common that is. Maybe its no big deal, plenty of people here use them. Also, I was just looking for something different. I've never seen anyone use the chromies without hubcaps.
SirAndy
QUOTE (Mueller @ Aug 1 2005, 02:57 PM)
I think the chrome rims are fugly without the hubcap....

i love 'em. would never run 'em with hubcaps if they're deep offset and wider than 5.5 ...

driving.gif Andy

PS: 8" and 9" on my '74 super beetle (with a 2.0L T4), gawd, i miss that car ...
DonTraver
Wow, never seen a bug with a Whale Tail, veeeeerrrrry interesting.

Don
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (jasons @ Aug 1 2005, 02:02 PM)

I like the look without the hubcaps on some cars. Like on the 550 Spyders and 356 race cars? I'm not sure it would work on the 914, thats why I'm looking for pics.

550 Spyders and 356 race cars don't run hubcaps ........................ The Cap'n
d914
I think its circle racing or circle wheels that makes similar wheels to diamond but can be hubcentric and they have some nice AL. ones for more $$$
jasons
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 1 2005, 02:38 PM)
QUOTE (jasons @ Aug 1 2005, 02:02 PM)

I like the look without the hubcaps on some cars.  Like on the 550 Spyders and 356 race cars?  I'm not sure it would work on the 914, thats why I'm looking for pics.  

550 Spyders and 356 race cars don't run hubcaps ........................ The Cap'n

Exactly!
serge914
I bought my car with those wheels:
serge914
Another view
Mueller
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Aug 1 2005, 03:22 PM)
QUOTE (Mueller @ Aug 1 2005, 02:57 PM)
I think the chrome rims are fugly without the hubcap....

i love 'em. would never run 'em with hubcaps if they're deep offset and wider than 5.5 ...

driving.gif Andy

PS: 8" and 9" on my '74 super beetle (with a 2.0L T4), gawd, i miss that car ...

is that bug considered "rice" or "kraut" hahahaha

damn Andy, how wide are those rear tires????? I like 'em
serge914
You can always put some cheap VW hub caps later on
SirAndy
QUOTE (Mueller @ Aug 1 2005, 06:28 PM)
is that bug considered "rice" or "kraut" hahahaha
damn Andy, how wide are those rear tires????? I like 'em

naaa, there was no other bug running in the whole damm city that looked even close to mine.
no rice or kraut involved ...

those are 285/40 x 15 Pirellies on a 9" x 15" Steel Rim ...

the rear of the car stuck like glue, the front was another story altogether.
i ended up putting (permanently) 50kg of lead in the front trunk to give it some more weight.
also added a front mounted oil cooler (after that pic was taken). made it a bit better ...

that car was a blast to drive ...
driving.gif Andy
TravisNeff
I betcha that the extra rim width is all on the positive offset. If you could get the offset right that would be the sleeper mobile with hubcaps and all. There is a place in OR that can widen steel wheels with chebby parts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.