Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: eye candy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
owned 50 years preserved for 40 and now a 4 year refresh.
Literati914
piratenanner.gif
More pics please !!

914Sixer
Great to see another back on the road driving.gif
Shivers
A six bumper would look great smile.gif Love to see more pictures
emerygt350
Oo oo is this one of those 'you show me yours' things? Cause my cars butt makes shivers uncomfortable too wink.gif

Jett
Lovely car!

Love if it was in my garage :j!!
QUOTE(Shivers @ Mar 21 2022, 03:07 PM) *

please explain about the six bumper far as I know its original having owned the car since 1972.
Dobbsy
There is a difference in profile for the licence plate depression.

1970- 72 then changes for 72 up to the impact bumpers.

There is also a difference in the valance under the bumper.

Looks like you have a later bumper 72+ with an early valance 1970 to 72

What is the build date for your car.

The differences in bumpers are explained here.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=303280
Shivers
QUOTE(914043 @ Mar 21 2022, 07:57 PM) *

please explain about the six bumper far as I know its original having owned the car since 1972.

Every 1972 I've seen that had not been hit in the rear, some time in the past had this bumper. Mine included. I've seen your style bumper on 1973 and newer. Did it get hit? Is it a super late manufacture date where early 73 parts might have been on the floor to pull from? First thing I look for on a 914 that says 914-6 on back.

Click to view attachment
Shivers
This is my build date.

Click to view attachment
Shivers
My car is apart now, but I found this pic that you can catch a glimpse of my bumper.

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
I do not believe the change was 1972. My Six came with the same bumper as the OP's car according to the former owner. My understanding is the change in rear bumpers came in 1971 models mid-production year. My car is a late 1971 and has the later rear bumper. beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment
Shivers
These are the factory painted bumpers, both yellow to match my car. They were painted black on the outside. My brother bought my 1972 in 78', I bought it from him in 82'. The blue car I posted is also a 72'. Don't know what to tell you, not the first survivor 72' I've seen with the old bumper.

Click to view attachment
QUOTE(Shivers @ Mar 22 2022, 04:57 AM) *

QUOTE(914043 @ Mar 21 2022, 07:57 PM) *

Every 1972 I've seen that had not been hit in the rear, some time in the past had this bumper. Mine included. I've seen your style bumper on 1973 and newer. Did it get hit? Is it a super late manufacture date where early 73 parts might have been on the floor to pull from? First thing I look for on a 914 that says 914-6 on back.

Click to view attachment
appears unhit to me
QUOTE(Dobbsy @ Mar 22 2022, 03:53 AM) *

02/70
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Mar 21 2022, 02:07 PM) *

piratenanner.gif
More pics please !!

QUOTE(914043 @ Mar 22 2022, 11:46 AM) *

piratenanner.gif
More pics please !!

QUOTE(914043 @ Mar 22 2022, 11:50 AM) *

piratenanner.gif
More pics please !!

QUOTE(914043 @ Mar 22 2022, 12:58 PM) *

QUOTE(914043 @ Mar 22 2022, 11:50 AM) *

piratenanner.gif
More pics please !!

porschetub
QUOTE(Shivers @ Mar 22 2022, 11:07 AM) *

Jeez mate talking about "pissing on his parade",beautiful car and a very proud owner...who wouldn't be.

Shivers
QUOTE(porschetub @ Mar 22 2022, 02:42 PM) *

QUOTE(Shivers @ Mar 22 2022, 11:07 AM) *

Jeez mate talking about "pissing on his parade",beautiful car and a very proud owner...who wouldn't be.

Yes it is a beautiful car, that is why I asked to see more pictures. It would have been cheaper in 72 to replace a dented chrome bumper than to fix it. If I'm wrong I apologize to him, but from all the real sixes that I've seen at car shows that old, had the style bumper I have. I had no idea if he was aware. "pissing on his parade" was not my intention.
rgalla9146
What a beauty.
You know your car and have taken great care of it.
Anyone here would be proud to have it.
The issue with rear bumpers could be resolved by a poll based on VINs
and production dates.....early square bumper VS. curved late bumpers.
Let one of the 'experts' initate the poll and post the results.
Canary is one of my favorite colors.
Eye candy for sure.
I'm two years from my forty year milestone
Dobbsy
When the bodies left the Karmen factory to go to Porsche how complete were they?. Would the bumpers have been fitted.

Would Porsche have received the face lift to the bumpers before VW.
wonkipop
QUOTE(Dobbsy @ Mar 23 2022, 01:44 AM) *

When the bodies left the Karmen factory to go to Porsche how complete were they?. Would the bumpers have been fitted.

Would Porsche have received the face lift to the bumpers before VW.

yep they had the bumpers on.
vw via karmann screwed porsche for every cent they could get.

but who cares about bumpers.
this man has the engine.

lovely car. eye candy of the best kind. thanks for posting it mr @914043 .
Dobbsy
@wonkipop

I care because I also have THE ENGINE.

But we have gone off on a tangent to the original post. Could do with a definitive answer in the Originality and history forum.

Nice car I wish my car was as clean as this one.
wonkipop
QUOTE(Dobbsy @ Mar 23 2022, 03:29 AM) *

@wonkipop

I care because I also have THE ENGINE.

But we have gone off on a tangent to the original post. Could do with a definitive answer in the Originality and history forum.

Nice car I wish my car was as clean as this one.

good on you. beerchug.gif

i don't....... have a the engine, mine is an an.stirthepot.gif

there are a couple of very very late 914s floating around on internet.
i think a guy in wisconsin owns them.
those cars would give you some leads on bumpers?
wonkipop
QUOTE(Dobbsy @ Mar 22 2022, 04:53 AM) *

over my limited time owing my car the literature i have stumbled on said earlier rear bumper with the sharp license plate depression is 70.

but literature shouldn't be trusted.
some other guys with cars with that engine might know better.
eg mr cairo.
perhaps there is some debate over that.

........bumpers stay pretty much the same from 71 to 74 in europe? and just get holes drilled in the rear usa bumper in 74 for the tits.

my car has got beautiful tits to go with an engine.

there may be nothing unusual about mr. 914043's car?

apart from its fantastic color.
i'd love to see more photos of it, i hope he is not put off.

as to originality.
thats a constantly moving target?
as 1.8 owners have recently determined with a round of new research.
gandalf_025
Having a later model bumper on a car can be for many reasons.
In my case, my car had the Amco Crash Bars installed by the Dealer when new and
I didn't feel like dealing with a chrome shop to fill the holes and rechrome.
So I bought the Harrington Stainless Steel Bumpers and they only offered the later style bumpers at that time.
I still have my original rear bumper and it will stay with the car in case some day it really matters to the new owner, when I'm dead..

Next month starts my 49th year with the car.. Although it has been off the road since 1988..

Click to view attachment
Rufus
@914043 … Beautiful -6! Your long term stewardship of this treasure’s impressive.

I only wish I’d wised up in my younger days and moved on from high HP, macho sports cars to a 914. IMHO 914’s are at the top of the heap for being fun-to-drive sports cars.

Although a true ‘70 -6, my car has a mishmash of changes / parts from different years, starting with a 2.7RS spec engine and rolled / modified fenders for tire clearance. Like your 914, it has a later style rear bumper, and valence. It even has an impact bumper nose piece. Not yet having had the chance for a side-to-side comparison with a known original ‘70 -6, there may be other incorrect features as well.
Click to view attachment

The few -6’s were made a long time ago. Even in the ‘70’s they didn’t really stand out vs other cars in many enthusiast’s eyes. But the few people who recognized the 914’s virtues quickly took to modifying and racing them. Like many cars of that era, 914’s endured a period of neglect and devaluation.

Fast forward to today, and many, if not most remaining examples have lived pretty hard lives, and deserve to be preserved and honored. Whether still bone stock, highly modified, or reconstituted & restored, they all have interesting stories.

914043, please post as many photos of your labor of love as possible for us to enjoy.
emerygt350
QUOTE(Rufus @ Mar 23 2022, 02:12 PM) *

@914043 … Beautiful -6! Your long term stewardship of this treasure’s impressive.

I only wish I’d wised up in my younger days and moved on from high HP, macho sports cars to a 914. IMHO 914’s are at the top of the heap for being fun-to-drive sports cars.

Although a true ‘70 -6, my car has a mishmash of changes / parts from different years, starting with a 2.7RS spec engine and rolled / modified fenders for tire clearance. Like your 914, it has a later style rear bumper, and valence. It even has an impact bumper nose piece. Not yet having had the chance for a side-to-side comparison with a known original ‘70 -6, there may be other incorrect features as well.
Click to view attachment

The few -6’s were made a long time ago. Even in the ‘70’s they didn’t really stand out vs other cars in many enthusiast’s eyes. But the few people who recognized the 914’s virtues quickly took to modifying and racing them. Like many cars of that era, 914’s endured a period of neglect and devaluation.

Fast forward to today, and many, if not most remaining examples have lived pretty hard lives, and deserve to be preserved and honored. Whether still bone stock, highly modified, or reconstituted & restored, they all have interesting stories.

914043, please post as many photos of your labor of love as possible for us to enjoy.

agree.gif

There really are so few of any kind of 914, the story of each, and what makes it different, is important. I have the obit of the original owner of my car (widow lives a couple houses away) and a niece mentions how awesome it was to see this guy pull up in his chalon and take them for a drive. That kind of history, to me, is so much of cars like this. Wish I knew more about the original owner of my gt350. Certainly untouched since delivery is cool, but kind of boring.
wonkipop
It looks like dr914's M471 is up for sale at sotherby's?
has later style bumpers.
ia 71.

72s def had later style bumpers.
........and the rest of the 4 stuff on the interior.
here is a car sitting around in J.
30+ years ago some would have called that as a fake,
so thin spread was good knowledge that circulated.

Click to view attachment

herr strenger's former car looked like it had later bumpers.
not sure, but looks like it in older period photo.
.....but maybe he bumped it or someone at porsche backed it into a pole before he got it.

Click to view attachment

it can be an unpleasant experience having someone wander up and tell you your car doesn't have original this and original that.
have had my an engine car for 30 years - i come right after the original owner.
recently i treated a the engine owner to a look at it.
truthfully i was surprised such a person would even be interested.
i opened the rear trunk and was immediately/without hesitation told the foam filled cushion bag under the rear carpet was not original and it should have a glued down pad.

i shut the trunk and walked the "guest" away from the car and moved on to other conversations.

73-914
QUOTE(914043 @ Mar 21 2022, 05:04 PM) *

This is a 72? Weren't all the 72 6's European spec?
Thanks to all for your kind responses and no I didn't know the different style bumpers so I learned something new. Initially not happy the recent post of Herr Stenger's M471 gave me thought, good enough for Herr Strenger should be acceptable to mine. Looks damn nice if I do say so. Maybe the Pirelli CN 36s and Fuchs off of a72 911S are not stock but fit the care so well. To the other six owners out there keep the post going with best shot features and so will I to the extent the refresh continues. Thanks again, glad to be a small part of this great site and its endless stream of knowledgeable professional teeners.
wonkipop
@914043

yes, i reckon herr strenger is an authority when it comes to taste and provides reassurance in a world troubled by investment anxiety. smile.gif

beer.gif
wonkipop
QUOTE(73-914 @ Mar 23 2022, 06:18 PM) *

thats interesting @73-914 .
in relation to the 72 golden yellow japan car i posted above.

it has side indicator lamps quite unlike the factory built J spec cars,
which had warts like USA cars - but the lens was different.

image of front of it.

Click to view attachment

its either a grey market japanized euro spec imported into J sometime after 72
-
or its a special order the J importer was able to fulfil and japanize after arrival.

i suspect its the latter. at that time there was little to inhibit a euro spec car going into japan. LHD was permitted. headlight units would need to be altered.
and most importantly side indicators fitted.

but as you note they were only building euro spec so the holes in the body were not there for the warts.

you just answered something about that car that has interested me for a while.
its lack of warts. makes sense now why it hasn't got them.

its worth noting that back then both the australian and the japanese distributors had really old school relations with the factory. it was not like the american set up that used VW north america. those distributors could get just about anything a customer wanted.

one of the original 914/6 imported into australia would set some of you guys topsy turvy on all your what did they have and what didn't they have ideas. that car was built to a very different spec and arrangement right down to the gearbox. it was a 4 speed.
CCE
The view from my home office.

Click to view attachment
CCE
Click to view attachment
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(73-914 @ Mar 23 2022, 07:18 PM) *

The 1972 914-6 was only sold in Europe. It was a hybrid between a 4 and a 6. The chassis was a 4 cylinder chassis, complete with a 4 cylinder wiring harness and steering column. The suspension, engine, transmission and shifting was from a 6. The wiring harness had a short adapter pigtail to hook the six relay board to the four wiring harness. But it came with a 914 vin number, and was sold as a Porsche, not a VW-Porsche.

Basically, the factory took 4 cylinder chassies and did a 5 lug and six cylinder conversion on them to use up the leftover six parts.

Clay
Root_Werks
Some very cool history behind that six! I like seeing the snow catcher rear valence. Those are rare.
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Mar 24 2022, 01:10 PM) *

Some very cool history behind that six! I like seeing the snow catcher rear valence. Those are rare.

just to clarify the yellow 6 in the initial post is a 1970.I purchased it as is in 1972

sorry Root Werks I hit the wrong reply ,was referring to previous comments.
wonkipop
QUOTE(914043 @ Mar 24 2022, 05:12 PM) *

just to clarify the yellow 6 in the initial post is a 1970.I purchased it as is in 1972

to assist with this question over bumpers.

mr. @Cairo94507 is definitely correct.
71s had the curved recess. but not all of them necessarily.

mr. armando's website for the 914/6 GT is very helpful.
he has kept a sales record in the past and has listed many cars.

all the 71s he lists that have photos have the curved recess later style bumper.

also if you go to his M471 section. all of them with visible bumper shots show they have curved recess bumpers. for the most part these seem to be strictly 71 models.

https://pbase.com/9146gt/sales_history_9146_916

did a quick cross check against the vin register here.
the earliest one with a clear image of rear bumper on his site is 0146.
that seems to mean it was made between 0120 which is an 11/70 and 0163 which is 02/71. a good guess would place 0146 as maybe an early new year 71 build.

did a quick scout on 71 914/4s.
harder to find those easily on BAT or anything else to place an early bumper with a vin date.
but if dr.914's restored motor trend car of the year is to be trusted, it had an earlier style bumper and i assume it was the original. dr914 is unlikely to be the sort of person to get that wrong. its construction is 11/70.
i found other 71s with the later style bumper but could not place a date against them.

i'll stab a guess and say the changeover must be sometime around the end of 70 and start of 71. maybe the new calendar year. approximately.

if anyone really wanted to sort this one out thats where to concentrate around.

i did find one aberrant 71 914/6 on BAT. which was 0271. much later in the MY with straight recess bumper. however when i looked closely at documentation it said it was sold with bumper guards new. the car looked to be in original condition but the bumpers showed no trace of the guards. so i suspect it had been restored with the replacement bumpers that were not "correct". a case of a restorer getting it wrong? maybe?

@914043 - it would appear your car originally probably had a straight recessed bumper.
if it was replaced for any reason after new year 71 the replacement would have been the newer type as a spare part.

as to the idea that all 914/6s had the straight recess. not true.
myth.

but an awful lot of 914/6s were 70 models.
i think that is where the idea comes from that its the 6 bumper.
its also on all the 4s of the matching time period.
its an early 914 bumper that is used for approx 18 months.

to me thats another reason to go get a 71 or a 72.
the rarest of the rare.
i like to dream. its never going to happen. beerchug.gif
new stainless fuel lines and rear trunk
DBF
Beautiful car and amazing you kept it all these years. That car has to have a lot of great memories, and more to be had in the future. Enjoy!

If it turns out someone replaced the original bumper, would you replace it with an original type, or keep it because that is the way you've had it for all these years? I'd keep it the way you bought it. I own a 1942 Ford GPW (WWII jeep) bought from the WWII vet who bought it when he was discharged in 1945. Jeeps were being sold as surplus at the base he was stationed at the end of WWII, and he picked the nicest jeep he could find, along with a new engine in a crate. When he got it home, he put in the new engine, built a log splitter with the original engine, and used it as a farm jeep. He made a number of modifications over the years including fixing a couple rust spots and a repaint using some paint one of the members of his shooting club "liberated" from the national guard post in his town. I often have people comment that this or that isn't original, especially the engine and wrong shade of OD for a WWII jeep. I just smile and nod. At this point, it's more important to me to keep it the way John had it than to return it to factory original.
QUOTE(DBF @ Mar 25 2022, 06:36 PM) *

Beautiful car and amazing you kept it all these years. That car has to have a lot of great memories, and more to be had in the future. Enjoy!

If it turns out someone replaced the original bumper, would you replace it with an original type, or keep it because that is the way you've had it for all these years? I'd keep it the way you bought it. I own a 1942 Ford GPW (WWII jeep) bought from the WWII vet who bought it when he was discharged in 1945. Jeeps were being sold as surplus at the base he was stationed at the end of WWII, and he picked the nicest jeep he could find, along with a new engine in a crate. When he got it home, he put in the new engine, built a log splitter with the original engine, and used it as a farm jeep. He made a number of modifications over the years including fixing a couple rust spots and a repaint using some paint one of the members of his shooting club "liberated" from the national guard post in his town. I often have people comment that this or that isn't original, especially the engine and wrong shade of OD for a WWII jeep. I just smile and nod. At this point, it's more important to me to keep it the way John had it than to return it to factory original.

DBF thanks for the support,most think as I do it really doesn't hurt the value much.Iit would be nice to hear from some .of the real qualified people who could give a market analysis. Situations sometimes arise out of nowhere making thoughts of selling possible
wonkipop
QUOTE(914043 @ Mar 25 2022, 09:22 PM) *

QUOTE(DBF @ Mar 25 2022, 06:36 PM) *

DBF thanks for the support,most think as I do it really doesn't hurt the value much.Iit would be nice to hear from some .of the real qualified people who could give a market analysis. Situations sometimes arise out of nowhere making thoughts of selling possible

don't listen to/worry about naysayers @914043 .
your car is legit.
it has come down as an artefact and is the result of its own history.
and by your account you are 99% of that history.

see above - i have found at least one 71 914/6 that has been "corrected" incorrectly. as it should have never have had a straight sided bumper.
and now its got one thanks to probably the intervention of a restorer/owner on the "right" path.
because someone said so? or he read something on a forum? or......
the difference is they went backwards up the wrong road.
you are going forwards.

there are two kinds of artefacts.
something untouched (and by implication completely undriven?).
and them that have been driven, but preserved. and legit fixed along the way.

you have #2. its the real deal.

it won't make a shred of difference to its value.
thats a whole different ball game.
because the f4ckers buying these things for big $ would not have a clue (necessarily).
some do. but most don't. they are guided.
the stories i am hearing right now, and i am just a far off from the centre of the world aussie. we have superannuation companies engaged in investing in classic cars!!!???
f f s - no emotional or intellectual or mechanical attachment to the cars.
they are buying them like they are "art" or commodity.
but beware, because now the "experts" are involved because of the $.
just like the art world. and some f wit is going to decide a bumper this or a bumper that by reading some book or looking at a website like this and becoming an expert.
thats how it goes.

leaving aside that problem, your car is exactly the way the japanese treat a temple.
they rebuild it with new wood. its a good thing. beerchug.gif

your problem is.
are you gonna drive it.
or clean it up and sell it.

personally i would drive it.
you only live once. beer.gif
Jett
The car is stunning and your story of long term stewardship is inspiring!

smile.gif If I run across a new old bumper, you will get the first dibs. …A local enthusiast sold me an NOS bumper that I had chromed a few years ago, and will need to see what style it is. Will post a picture smile.gif forgot we had it until this thread.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.