Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering Wheel Replacement----HELP!!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
2pointOH
Hi all--

Received some great help on replacing my stock wheel (76 2.0L) with a MOMO Commando wheel and hub. I fed the single wire from the stock wheel through the new wheel and put the wheel on the spline and need to know if I'll get a permanent horn until I connect the wire to the center horn pad. The new MOMO wheel has two wire connections and the stock assembly feeds one wire through (that needs to be converted to a female spade terminal--correct??). Should I have two wires or only one?

Basically I get a permanent horn blow when I tighten down the large center nut. Does the wire ground out this circuit until I press in the horn or have I broken or forgotten something?

Also--I was told to tighten down the center 27MM bolt to 50 N/M on a torque wrench--I've turned it to 40 and going to 50 feels like I might be pushing it to hard--ADVISE???

Thanks--John
CptTripps
#1 - you have a ground fault somewhere in there. When I did my momo hub, I put the ground to the large nut, and the + to the thingy that attaches to the ring. (Did that make sense?)

#2 - 40 should be fine. I just cranked mine, and it's been fine for a summer of hard driving.

The way it's in there, it's VERY unlikely to pop off in your hand. If it does, you can always drive without the large nut. Just don't pull hard on the wheel. wink.gif
lapuwali
The single wire is grounded to make the horn go. If you get the horn going just by tightening down the big center nut, you're shorting something somewhere. Is the bare wire touching the wheel anywhere?

The two wires on the button are so you can connect the (ungrounded) button to the wheel, then the horn wire to the button. Pushing the button closes the circuit. The stock horn switch was already grounded on one side, so it only needed one wire.

You really don't need to torque the big nut down very much.
JoeSharp
The horn wire goes to one side of the horn button and the other side of the horn button goes to ground somewere. You have to supply it. I screwed a conector to the inside of the stering wheel adaptor and ran it to the ground side of the horn buton. Also if the horn button has been apart it could be a probablem.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
Jeroen
the second connector is ground and you "shouldn't" need it...
the "paperclip" like thingie on the side of the button should make the ground (if it doesn't, THEN you can use the second connector)
RustyWa
QUOTE (2pointOH @ Aug 1 2005, 03:04 PM)
Hi all--

<snip>

Thanks--John

Off topic, but nice avatar. Post the large image. biggrin.gif
2pointOH
givemebeer.gif Thanks everyone!!!--finished it up last night--looks sweet. Will try to shoot a few shots and post them.

Any suggestings on a supplier for aluminum/chrome guage rings?

Let me know--John
seanery
Hey John, was that your silver teener with 17" wheels at MidAmerica's funfest?

They have nice aluminum trim rings and offered a discount at the event.
Doug Leggins purchased them at last year's event...they look nice.
2pointOH
Sean--

That was me. I just inquired about their aluminum guage bezel overlays and waiting to hear back.

Thanks!!!

John
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.