Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to lift engine onto pickup truck bed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rosenfe
I am removing 1.8 engine and need to transport in a small Toyota truck for repair. How best to lift it into bed of truck without spending a lot of money. Would a engine hoist work?if so where do you attach to engine
rfinegan
2 people can lift an engine ...3 people if transmission is still installed
brant
an opportunity to buy your neighbor a beer and have them help
GregAmy
agree.gif

Offer of beer usually works for me...are you close? laugh.gif
rosenfe
I’m in California. I’ll get my son to help
914Mels
use some wide boards/plywood as a ramp and a come along attached at the front of the bed and crank away.
mepstein
QUOTE(rfinegan @ Mar 22 2022, 12:13 PM) *

2 people can lift an engine ...3 people if transmission is still installed

agree.gif An engine with exhaust is 250 lbs. My son and I did an engine and trans. It was a bit much for me but he was 18 and had no problem.
rgolia
I dropped mine on to a hydraulic lift table from harbor freight, jacked it up to truck bed height and slide it in, a one man job.
mepstein
I use my HF lift table to place and remove 911 engines all the time. Worth every penny even though they raised the price quite a bit.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 22 2022, 01:04 PM) *

I use my HF lift table to place and remove 911 engines all the time. Worth every penny even though they raised the price quite a bit.

They are great, I've even found a way to get it in and out of a truck by myself so when I go buy engines or gearboxes I can do it all on my own.

They have 2, one for 500lb and one for 1000lb

https://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-capaci...cart-61405.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-capac...cart-60438.html
mepstein
They also make great auxiliary work tables.
Front yard mechanic
2 wheel dolly and a piece of plywood,just back up to the curb to lower the truck. Easy peasy
ClayPerrine
I use my lift and some ratchet straps to pick it up, and then I back my pickup under it and let it down. biggrin.gif

jhynesrockmtn
I've used both a lift table and a cherry picker to do this solo with both 914 and 911 engines
Unobtanium-inc
You can also find a Big John, he comes in handy.
brant
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Mar 23 2022, 09:02 PM) *

Wow
And a six
400 lbs
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Mar 23 2022, 11:02 PM) *

Is that real? Maybe no internals, no alternator & no fan? I don't see cams, chains, etc., so I'm assuming it was a great photo op.

That is crazy! I've had a few Big John friends but to carry like that? That dude has a strong back . . . well at least used to. wacko.gif
Front yard mechanic
Click to view attachment
VaccaRabite
I've lifted T4s before single handed because I was feeling too lazy to get out my hoist. Long block, but stripped of tins and intake. Was a little sketchy but not that challenging. Engine hoist would have been way smarter - but I didn't die.... ;-)
Two people can do it and its not sketchy at all.

I'd like to say I was younger and dumber, but it was like last year while I was getting a core engine ready for to go for a rebuild. Use 2 people, engines are awkward even with the tins and stuff stripped off.

What? My garage is really packed right now...

Zach
930cabman
A few pals and a six pack is my choice these days.

Back in the day, I would attempt the "Big John" move, but these days after 3 hernia surgeries not so much. My surgeon inserted an 8 x 11 piece of mesh in my belly last year.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(brant @ Mar 24 2022, 04:20 AM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Mar 23 2022, 09:02 PM) *

Wow
And a six
400 lbs

He does gearboxes too...
bdstone914
QUOTE(rosenfe @ Mar 22 2022, 09:12 AM) *

I am removing 1.8 engine and need to transport in a small Toyota truck for repair. How best to lift it into bed of truck without spending a lot of money. Would a engine hoist work?if so where do you attach to engine

@rosenfe

I use a 2 x 12 plank about 10 fert long and can walk it up the plank. It was going in a van with lower height but same concept. Two people make it easier.
jaredmcginness
Just get my dad and a 2011 VW Golf, that's all you need. biggrin.gif

IPB Image
SirAndy
You'll need 4 people:

- 2 to lift the engine
- 1 to manage the process
- 1 to take pictures

biggrin.gif

IPB Image
mepstein
Before I purchased my lift table.

Most cars will have a lip at the opening of the hatch. Buy a 8' 4x4, cut in half and lay it in the bed. Now the pallet will easily slide in and out.
mlindner
911 engine takes four, trust me.Click to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(mlindner @ Mar 25 2022, 12:46 PM) *

911 engine takes four, trust me.

Wish you had told me before a friend and I put a 3.0 in his truck. biggrin.gif

It was missing induction and fan. I felt all of my 55 years the next day.
mlindner
Mark, I'm 75 so I had to buy lunch for four strong guys. Best money spent.
friethmiller
I've done this a couple of different ways. My vote is for the 500lb Lift Cart. I was able to pull my rebuilt engine off the stand and (after some modification to my test stand) drive my engine up into my dyno. It was a easy one-man job! The cart was awesome!!

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
r_towle
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 25 2022, 11:46 AM) *

You'll need 4 people:

- 2 to lift the engine
- 1 to take pictures

biggrin.gif

IPB Image

What about the planning meeting?
Project manager?
r_towle
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 23 2022, 02:12 PM) *

I use my lift and some ratchet straps to pick it up, and then I back my pickup under it and let it down. biggrin.gif

Ditto

Best money I ever spent on car stuff was the lift.

GregAmy
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 25 2022, 02:52 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 25 2022, 11:46 AM) *

You'll need 4 people:

- 2 to lift the engine
- 1 to take pictures

What about the planning meeting?
Project manager?

Um...the beer and pizza service, too?
mlindner
Nice job friethmiller. Very cool.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.