Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB (Borrow) Flatbed Trailer for a Couple of Days
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
euro911
Anybody in the local Los Angeles South Bay or Orange County area have one available? confused24.gif
930cabman
I have used U Haul many times in the past, cheap and easy
sb914
[quote name='930cabman' date='Mar 23 2022, 03:51 AM' post='2990186']
I have used U Haul many times in the past, cheap and easy
[/quote agree.gif
euro911
I already checked into that.

There isn't anywhere to note that there's no drive train in the car (making it lighter than a full weight vehicle)

Click to view attachment
mepstein
I used to have trouble with some of the uhaul’s when it came to towing a 914. I would just tell them I was towing a running dodge neon and there was no trouble putting it through the computer and getting out the door.
AZBanks
I'm not a fan of u-haul counter workers. I have a Toyota Highlander with the tow package which is factory rated at 5000 lbs. I tried to rent one of their car haulers to haul a 914. Their computer said that the towing combination was acceptable but the counter guy didn't want to rent it to me anyway saying he didn't think my highlander could tow that much. I basically asked him why he was working the counter at u-haul if he was such a f-ing genius who was smarter than the engineers at Toyota and u-haul combined. It got a bit heated until a manager came over and approved the rental.
Van B
What vehicle are you towing with? I used a uhaul trailer to bring my 914 home and while I did have problems with the counter worker, I didn’t have any problems with the computer
GeorgeKopf
I too was able to convince the U-Haul personnel that my car was able to tow my chassis without the drive train.

On the other hand, I now use a flat tow bar and it is so much easier.

Make sure you have the axles out but leave in the wheel stubs.
930cabman
I have had some used unfriendly counter kids at U Haul, but how about McDonalds?? I will visit them in a dire emergency ONLY.

kids these days?
euro911
QUOTE(Van B @ Mar 23 2022, 01:53 PM) *
What vehicle are you towing with? I used a uhaul trailer to bring my 914 home and while I did have problems with the counter worker, I didn’t have any problems with the computer

Click to view attachment

I can't use a tow bar - because:

Click to view attachment
Van B
Yeah that’s the problem. Those trailers are pretty heavy so, trailer plus their estimated weight of the 914 is showing as too much. Like others have said, you should just enter a lighter vehicle until it allows you to reserve. Maybe a Toyota Yaris or something?
914_teener
Yep...they are about 2700 lbs IIRC and if you add the 2k of the curb weight of the car it's really close to capacity at 5k tow rating.

Still have my Super Duty so I don't worry about it. It's sits mostly now.....even at 14 MPG with a 6.2 liter

The other thing they don't like is a car without a suspension so the road shock has a tendency to make it bounce.

Good luck Mark.
burlybryan
I towed my car 400 miles on a U-haul trailer with my V6 tacoma. U-haul wouldn't let me do it when I called, but I just went online and fudged it until it let me reserve it. No questions by the desk clerk (not surprisingly...it's U-haul).

Good luck.
914Toy
QUOTE(burlybryan @ Mar 24 2022, 10:33 AM) *

I towed my car 400 miles on a U-haul trailer with my V6 tacoma. U-haul wouldn't let me do it when I called, but I just went online and fudged it until it let me reserve it. No questions by the desk clerk (not surprisingly...it's U-haul).

Good luck.

Think about - what if there is an accident and the insurance is at risk re incorrect paperwork description?
mepstein
QUOTE(914Toy @ Mar 24 2022, 02:17 PM) *

Good luck.

Think about - what if there is an accident and the insurance is at risk re incorrect paperwork description?

I could “what if” about 50% of what I do but I do it anyway.
AZBanks
QUOTE(914Toy @ Mar 24 2022, 11:17 AM) *

Good luck.

You need to spend some time with some rednecks...

Here, hold my beer. w00t.gif
Van B
QUOTE(914Toy @ Mar 24 2022, 02:17 PM) *

Good luck.

You and I live our lives in very different ways lol-2.gif beerchug.gif
euro911
Couldn't find anything lighter than a 1970 Honda 600 - and that doesn't wok either mad.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

NO headbang.gif
Steve
Did you try any of these cars? Old fiat 500 or original Mini Cooper?
https://carbuzz.com/features/lightest-produ...-cars-ever-made
Van B
Never mind… thought I had a solution…..
Van B
QUOTE(Van B @ Mar 24 2022, 07:32 PM) *

Never mind… thought I had a solution…..

Ok, I got it to work. Put ‘96 Tacoma with 7,500lbs hitch and then put you’re towing a tractor.
Van B
Boom!
euro911
QUOTE(Van B @ Mar 24 2022, 03:41 PM) *
Boom!
Hmmm idea.gif
euro911
That works out on their site ... let's see if they approve it confused24.gif

Click to view attachment

I even have beefed-up rear springs and it a 3.4L/6. I haul my 16+' enclosed V-nose trailer to and from AZ with no problem - unfortunately, it's in AZ at the moment dry.gif

Click to view attachment
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(euro911 @ Mar 24 2022, 01:49 PM) *

Couldn't find anything lighter than a 1970 Honda 600 - and that doesn't wok either mad.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

NO headbang.gif

We once rented the Small U-Haul trailer and put a 600 in the back, towed it behind my Nissan Frontier, U-Haul did make me put on a hitch, said the bumper hitch was strong enough.
wonkipop
i love all your american approaches to the problem.

unobtanium has the aus approach.
get a big unit.
give him a slab of beer and get it lifted and ask no questions.
alternative here is get 4 little aussie sub units, lift it, push it etc and buy 4 slabs of beer.

you breed boys big over there.

and.......there are too many gadgets in the world offering sub par alternatives?

get it on a trailer, any trailer, with some heavy muscle and hook it up to anything and go.

beer.gif beerchug.gif beer.gif
infraredcalvin
I hear you, I’ve been towing my track car with a uhaul trailer using the wife’s Mercedes. After the n’teenth time renting the sales gal stated my hitch was too low, I was going to bottom out, blah blah blah. I told her to watch me exit their steep driveway and learn. The whole time she stood there flapping her jaw about not allowing the rental. Finally hooked up I casually pulled out with no scrape or spark. Her mouth dropped I gave her a smile and a wink and drove off. Needless to say, she won’t help me anymore when I go in LOL…

But on a related note, You can rent a uhaul truck to tow the uhaul trailer as well, overall costs a bit more, but another option.
r_towle
I ended up buying my own trailer because of this.
Then I got the cayenne, with 7k towing capacity.

Uhaul needs to protect uhaul.
I may have also picked up a few trailers in the past with my friends large trucks , just to bring the trailer home…
euro911
I can easily afford to buy a nice flatbed trailer - the problem is that I just don't have the room to store it dry.gif
Van B
QUOTE(euro911 @ Mar 27 2022, 12:30 AM) *

I can easily afford to buy a nice flatbed trailer - the problem is that I just don't have the room to store it dry.gif

Uh yup… that is definitely how the equation works out for guys with hobbies like ours:
“I could buy X if only I had a place to keep it, and work on it, and get to my other things, etc etc”
Front yard mechanic
Just be happy your not hauling a 70s continental ! That combo is about 9500lbs had my 2500hd shooting peanuts out the tail pipe
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.