Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installing the roll bar pad screws
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jsaum
I have a new replacement roll bar pad and can’t get the screws to line up and go in. Anyone have any insight on how to do this? I know I’ve read in other posts it’s difficult.

Thanks,
Jsaum
windforfun
Where did the new pad come from? Make sure all your screws are the same & the right size. Start from the middle & don't tighten them until they've all been seated & started. You might want to use a wood awl to wiggle the pad hole a bit. Some of the screws may need to go in at a slight angle. I don't recommend enlarging the holes in the pad.

beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif
Cairo94507
The awl is the way to go. Look at the holes in the roll bar (hopefully the pad is not in place) and maybe mark below with some tape and an arrow. Put the pad in place and see if the holes are even close to the actual roll bar holes. If so, use the awl to ID the hole location so you know how to angle the screw. beerchug.gif
bdstone914
I use two sections of stiff wire to go into two of the horizontal holes and the pad to align it. Start as many as you can before tightening. If you cant get them all in I would not sweat it. That pad is not going anywhere.
jsaum
QUOTE(windforfun @ Mar 23 2022, 09:25 AM) *

Where did the new pad come from? Make sure all your screws are the same & the right size. Start from the middle & don't tighten them until they've all been seated & started. You might want to use a wood awl to wiggle the pad hole a bit. Some of the screws may need to go in at a slight angle. I don't recommend enlarging the holes in the pad.

The pad is a reproduction from one of our top suppliers I don’t want to start a debate on that topic. It’s good quality and the holes mostly line up. Even when I can see the hole it’s difficult to get the screw to go in. I have only gotten one in so far. I have tried the awl and am using magnets the hold the screw to the screw driver as I try to direct it in. I’ll stock up on beer and keep after it.
windforfun
QUOTE(jsaum @ Mar 23 2022, 09:50 AM) *

QUOTE(windforfun @ Mar 23 2022, 09:25 AM) *

The pad is a reproduction from one of our top suppliers I don’t want to start a debate on that topic. It’s good quality and the holes mostly line up. Even when I can see the hole it’s difficult to get the screw to go in. I have only gotten one in so far. I have tried the awl and am using magnets the hold the screw to the screw driver as I try to direct it in. I’ll stock up on beer and keep after it.

That looks just like the one I installed. It fit perfectly with the exception of one hole. That screw had to go in at a slight angle, but it snugged up just fine. My screws were about 1" long. A longer screw might be easier to "angle" in. You're going into sheet metal so thread damage isn't a concern as long as you don't over tighten the screws.
windforfun
That looks just like the one I installed. It fit perfectly with the exception of one hole. That screw had to go in at a slight angle, but it snugged up just fine. My screws were about 1" long. A longer screw might be easier to "angle" in. You're going into sheet metal so thread damage isn't a concern as long as you don't over tighten the screws.

Damn. Double post. Sorry.

CTTOI, you might want to pull the roof latch covers. This might loosen things up a bit. Thant's what I did.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Mar 23 2022, 11:48 AM) *

If you cant get them all in I would not sweat it. That pad is not going anywhere.

agree.gif I couldn't get all the ones from the underside in, but I got enough in that it's secure.

You might need longer screws. I can't remember what size I used, but the one that came with the kit were not sufficient IMO. You need to be able to pry to adjust in place either with the awl or the screw itself. Also make sure the back side of the screw hole is actually clear. I seem to recall that the manufacturing process leaves some material on the back that may interfere with your ability to get the screw lined up and/or started.

Good luck.
windforfun
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Mar 23 2022, 09:58 AM) *

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Mar 23 2022, 11:48 AM) *

If you cant get them all in I would not sweat it. That pad is not going anywhere.

agree.gif I couldn't get all the ones from the underside in, but I got enough in that it's secure.

You might need longer screws. I can't remember what size I used, but the one that came with the kit were not sufficient IMO. You need to be able to pry to adjust in place either with the awl or the screw itself. Also make sure the back side of the screw hole is actually clear. I seem to recall that the manufacturing process leaves some material on the back that may interfere with your ability to get the screw lined up and/or started.

Good luck.

Excellent points. CTTOI again, the roof latch covers attach to the roll bad pad. I removed mine to paint them. I simply pushed them back into place in the new pad without any screws at weird angles. The fit was extremely tight ergo screw these screws. My factory installed pad was missing one screw & this was the one that had to go in at an angle. The guy at the factory didn't have the "time" mess with it.

smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.