Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ironing out the wrinkles
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ahycaramba
Hello Friends, This last weekend was the first day I have driven my project car In years. I am almost done with my project but ran into a problem with the steering. When turning the steering wheel it binds then it frees up with more pressure. I've done some research and found that there are two steering shafts available for this car. I believe the shaft I have is the longer of the 2. My shaft measures 14" or 35.5 cm, Can anyone tell me what is the length of the shorter shaft? Who knew a shorter shaft was better lol-2.gif
Has anyone shorten the longer steering shaft. Not sure if there is enough splines to shorten the shaft

Thanks In Advance
Al
Click to view attachment
mepstein
I think Rory had the same issue.
Great looking car beerchug.gif

@rgalla9146
ahycaramba
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 24 2022, 04:38 PM) *

@rgalla9146

Thanks You Sir. beerchug.gif
914Sixer
I can measure a stock 914 tomorrow. If you swapped the 911 steering rack to 914, you have to change out the shaft.
iankarr
Did you use the stock sized bolt to secure the flange inside the collar? If it's too long, it will binid...
SirAndy
Do you have a bump steer kit installed that moves the steering rack? If so, that might be the cause of the binding.

When i installed a '74 steering column in my '70 car, i had to re-notch the shaft to fit correctly.

It's easy to check, just remove the bolts on both couplers completely so they don't prevent the shaft from moving and then turn the wheel both sides and check and see if the notches on the shafts still line up with the bolt holes on the couplers.
idea.gif
mlindner
Congrats,k great looking car Al. Mark
bdstone914
QUOTE(ahycaramba @ Mar 24 2022, 05:31 PM) *

@rgalla9146

@ahycaramba
Do what Sirandy said. If the shaft is too long you can grind the notch so that the shaft can insert farther into the coupler.
I have seen factory shafts made that way. There is also a difference in tbe steering racks where the mounting bosses are higher on later racks to address a bump steer. I think it was around 72 when they changed.
bdstone914
Duplicate
Shivers
That looks great, like the colors. Maybe you can tell us a little more about her, while the guy's help you figure this out. Pictures would be cool. smile.gif
rgalla9146
As I recall when I had the tight spot in my steering there was a difference in the
lengts of the shafts.
I just tried to compare the one in my car to those on hand.....no dice...I can't do it accurately in the car. My notches are clocked (I tought they were in line) and the problem is solved.
I wish I could be more help. Sorry.
Maltese Falcon
Al...the white + red stripe combination works real well
Love the red Fuchs first.gif
Marty
ahycaramba
@mepstein , @914Sixer , @IanKarr , @SirAndy , @mlindner , @bdstone914 , @Shivers , @rgalla9146 , @Maltese Falcon,

Thanks for the complements and the advise. beerchug.gif

Update: I finally had time to play around with the steering. I was able to remove all the bolts to the upper and lower U joints and still had blinging going on. I wasn't able to get the joints to slide on the splines so I continued to force the steering in hope to get the joints to slide on the shaft. I must have super powers because now the lower half of the steering shaft jumps, grinds and knocks when turning. It appears to be coming from behind the firewall. Puzzled to what it could be. confused24.gif I'm hoping its just the rubber steering coupler that gave way.
Has anyone ever had one go out on them? It looks like I'll be removing the gas tank to assess the damage. headbang.gif

Stay tuned.

If you would like some progress pictures follow me on instagram @914_gts.

Maltese Falcon
Attention front desk>>paging Al smile.gif
Click to view attachment
Mikey914
The rubber "hockey puck" shouldn't truly fail, as it has 4 bolts that ultimately hold it.

If it's not at the U joint, it would have to be slipping at the rack. I hope not. Depending on the rack some would be easier to strip out in the spindle.

Let me know if you need a new shaft from the rack to the U-joint. I may be able to help.
rgalla9146
When I had the problem I disassembled everything from the top steering shaft to the
tie rod ends. At first I thought it was a bearing in the column. It was worn but not the problem.
You'll have to check both universals, the rubber donut, the rack and the tie rod ends.
Each piece should be checked on it's own.
I have four shafts on hand, one is slightly longer than the other three.
The most obvious difference is the relative position of the notches for the pinch bolts and the distance between the notches.
As I recall there were two shafts in the parts book. One for early cars and one for later cars. I think the 914 6 needed the longer shaft.
If one of these will help you, you're welcome to it.
bdstone914
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Mar 25 2022, 06:56 AM) *

QUOTE(ahycaramba @ Mar 24 2022, 05:31 PM) *

@rgalla9146

@ahycaramba
Do what Sirandy said. If the shaft is too long you can grind the notch so that the shaft can insert farther into the coupler.
I have seen factory shafts made that way. There is also a difference in tbe steering racks where the mounting bosses are higher on later racks to address a bump steer. I think it was around 72 when they changed.

Sounds like you need the gap in the u joints to get them to slide on the splines of the shaft. I think you need remove all four bolts to get enough movement to pull the shaft assembly. Once you get the shaft off you can tell if the problem is in the shaft assembly or elsewhere.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.