Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: well i got backed in to today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scotty914
okay the whole story. i went to do an estimate for a job today for some electric work. to comfirm locations for some trenching i walked out side with the company owner. then i noticed my driver side front fender was damaged , aand i told the owner we have a problem. he looked at and said order a fender and bill him. i them proceeded to explain it is not a bolt on fender.

well we walked in to the shop and asked the mechanic if any one had been around, low and behold it was the owners brother who did not mention it to anyone. we then looked at his work truck and found some scrapes so i pulled the car around and all the marks lined up. he had left for the day so i could not choke him.

they said they would take care of so now i think i can finagle a free or very cheap paint job out of it.

here is some pics
scotty914
asd
scotty914
qwe
scotty914
more
scotty914
last one
watsonrx13
Scott, that sucks, but at least the owner was man enough to admit someone that works for him is responsible. Glad he's going to pay for the repair.

I don't envy the brother when he get's to work tomorrow.

-- Rob
redshift
confused24.gif

I hate to say this...

smilie_pokal.gif

Good deal!

smile.gif

M
Elliot_Cannon
Free paint job? I don't know. I think I'd rather choke him!

Cheers, Elliot
scotty914
the funny part of this is the first job i did for them was to install a video camera system and the system got it all on a digital recorder. the brother has always complianed about the system because it watches his shop and almost all of the property
SirAndy
QUOTE (Elliot Cannon @ Aug 1 2005, 04:26 PM)
Free paint job? I don't know. I think I'd rather choke him!

agree.gif i hate this crap ....

how can you *not* notice you just ran into someone? and then just walk away ... ar15.gif

i had my beetle parked in a lot once, on a hot summer day, so the window was rolled down about 1" ...
when i came back a couple of hours later, i open the door and there's an envelop on the drivers seat. i open it up and it's $200 bucks and a letter.
someone had hit the car and put a small dent in the bumper (barely noticeable) and they left the note with their address and all, explaining that they had waited for 15 minutes but had to leave and if the money wasn't enought to cover the damage, to please contact them ...

i was 18 at the time and $200 was a lot of money back then, but i certainly learned a lesson that day.
if i'm ever going to hit another car, i will never ever just walk/drive away ...
cool.gif Andy
mack914
Why wasn't the brother able to go inside and admit to the accident. If he thought he could get away with it, and that's just what he thought, he just drove on. That's the reason you choke him. The prick- flipa.gif
redshift
Hey, I have been backed over more than... I have been hit (unattended).. 6 or more times, I have never met the guilty.

smile.gif

Finally!

M
scotty914
okay does anybody have a decent fender they can cut the area off with the red line around. if i can get the part i might be able to get the shop to weld it in and maybe save some money, to put towards the paint. or even a complete fender would be even better i could then put it on and use the money for paint instead of the shop doing it
Andyrew
That could be easily pulled out...
Get a baseball bat....

Its got a small crease... But I would trust a hammer and dolley for that (more like a rubber mallet lol) rather than a new fender...

Push on the other side REALLY hard. Then afterwards take a razor and cut some of the paint like it chipped the paint in the process (You wont mess up the paint... lol), then you can get him to paint it for ya.

andrew
scotty914
sorry Andrew but you cant see it in the pics i took but there is an 8 inch long 1/2 inch dia gouge like crease from the courner of the bumper ( 4 inch square steel tube ). i dont want to bondo it up, otherwise i could fix it. and i cant even pull the fender out all the way with out it hitting the door when i open it. the fender was pushed till about half the tire was showing on the top, and i pulled it that far so i could drive it home
scotty914
opps forgot the pic
redshift
sad.gif

Sorry buddy, it doesn't look like it's so bad in pics.

M
watsonrx13
QUOTE (scott thacher @ Aug 2 2005, 01:12 AM)
okay does anybody have a decent fender they can cut the area off with the red line around. if i can get the part i might be able to  get the shop to weld it in and maybe save some money, to put towards the paint. or even a complete fender would be even better i could then put it on and use the money for paint instead of the shop doing it

Scott, I think I might have that section of fender, let me check after work today and I'll let you know.

-- Rob
zymurgist
Even though the brother is a fuckup, at least the owner seems like a stand-up guy. I do wish it were legal to pound the crap out of people who do things like this, though. My Neon carries a pretty large dent on a quarter panel from a parking lot incident... never did find out who was responsible for that one... and Babydoll has creases and gouges on the driver's door from when the car was being worked on by a (different, i.e., not me) friend who denied everything.

I think that's one of the major problems with the world today... people aren't forced to accept responsibility for their negligence or stupidity.
Lou W
A good body shop should be able to pound that out, I don't think I'd cut it. smash.gif
redshift
QUOTE (zymurgist @ Aug 2 2005, 07:19 AM)
I think that's one of the major problems with the world today... people aren't forced to accept responsibility for their negligence or stupidity.

Oh man, don't get me started...

If I was given the World, people would wake up to something slightly different.. tomorrow morning, at 5:32...

smile.gif

M
CptTripps
QUOTE (Lou W @ Aug 2 2005, 06:20 AM)
A good body shop should be able to pound that out, I don't think I'd cut it. smash.gif

agree.gif

IIRC, your tub is pretty rust-free. Why risk putting another cars cancer on yours? Even a crappy body shop ought to be able to pound that out.

It doesn't look bad from the pics...maybe in person it's better.
JeffBowlsby
so now i think i can finagle a free or very cheap paint job out of it

Around here thats a 1K fender repair...maybe less. If you are going to paint the car, then fine, do it, but that may cover the cost of the materials only, no body shop time.
scotty914
okay i went to my body shop today, he says do the whole fender. he looked at the lip on the fender and said he could beat on it for hours and still might not get it right. but it is okay, i talk to camp914 about a fender and he has a good one for me. and i am going to pull the old one off for some body shop credit, the body shop also needs some electric work. so it looks like my car maybe getting a paint job for no cost to me.

we need a paint smiley
Joe Bob
The paint and material for my 911 cost me $858.00 and that was at jobber costs, Du Pont....
JB 914
QUOTE (Lou W @ Aug 2 2005, 03:20 AM)

agree.gif
scotty914
i guess you guys cant see the lip on the edge of the fender is pinched twice, and there is a gouge that is 6 to 8 inches long that is pressed/ stretched about 1/2 inch in.
wilchek
Remember yellow is faster.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.