Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Backdating Bumpers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
I did a search for backdating bumpers from the '75-'76 style to the early style and although I got alot of hits, I couldn't find the thread with the step by step instructions. I remember seeing one about a year ago.

Anybody know where it might be hiding?
SLITS
1. take yours off..

2. remove the bumper shocks

3. On the earlier bumper, remove the fog liight grills

4. Have one or two people hold the early bumper in the correct position

5. Reach in thru the fog light opening and mark where to drill the holes with a short pencil thru the bumper mounts.

don't know if this will work as I have never done it. If it can be done, it will locate the holes you need to drill fairly correctly.

I gots no clue
Joe Bob
There's a lip ya gottsta grind off, the holes should have a dimple that is obvious.....

The dogbones, best to tape to the bracket....BTDT.
SLITS
Hold the bumper in the middle...tell your wife you're gonna work on the teener some more.....she'll drop kick you and the bumper into place laugh.gif
Dave_Darling
The foglight grills aren't a good place to mark where to drill, IMHO. There should be reinforcements inside the front fenders already; look for them and use them as indicators of where to drill.

You have to cut down the lip across the front of the front trunk opening. You have to remove the lip on each side of the front bumper, and on each side of the rear bumper. And you have to fill the holes that the old bumper shocks used to live in.

--DD
Mueller
you don't need stinking directions...if one cannot figure it out, you need to hand over your 914 owners permit biggrin.gif laugh.gif
MoveQik
I went to a local junk yard and measured where the holes were on an early bumper car. Transferred the measurements to my car. It was a perfect fit.
Allan
QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ Aug 1 2005, 05:27 PM)
And you have to fill the holes that the old bumper shocks used to live in.

Why? confused24.gif
Joe Bob
Anal Engineer Syndrome???? wink.gif

My guess...rust....
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (Headrage @ Aug 1 2005, 04:47 PM)

Why? confused24.gif

I dunno, do you like the stuff in the front trunk getting wet?

--DD
Allan
QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ Aug 1 2005, 06:00 PM)

Why? confused24.gif

I dunno, do you like the stuff in the front trunk getting wet?

--DD

Aahh... But only the fronts. The ones in the back just go under the car.
MoveQik

Why? confused24.gif

Hmmmm, a couple of big holes opening your trunk to the elements isn't very good for the car.
maf914
hijacked.gif

James (morphenspectra) indicated in another thread that his fiberglass bumper top project encountered a problem when the FG maker omitted mold release and had a piece set up in the mold. Does anyone know if he still plans to offer these pieces?
Mueller
QUOTE (maf914 @ Aug 2 2005, 11:07 AM)
hijacked.gif

James (morphenspectra) indicated in another thread that his fiberglass bumper top project encountered a problem when the FG maker omitted mold release and had a piece set up in the mold. Does anyone know if he still plans to offer these pieces?

for the same effort to write that question, you could just PM him and ask directly biggrin.gif screwy.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (MW 914 @ Aug 1 2005, 08:35 PM)

Why? confused24.gif

Hmmmm, a couple of big holes opening your trunk to the elements isn't very good for the car.

idea.gif Duct them to a front mounted oil cooler......
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.