Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heater cable replacement 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TonyH
Good afternoon everyone,

A question please..... are there any tips on how to change the heater cables. I have the heater control on the floor unscrewed, my new shiny heater cable ready and I can see the heater cable disappearing into the steel tubes that run into the engine compartment.

Once I remove the old cable is there an easy way to thread the new cable into the steel tubes? The entry holes are just out of sight and I know from experience, don't pull the cable right out until you know how to get the new cable lined up.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.
mepstein
Just one or two tips from me.

Measure your old cable against the new one. Some new ones weren’t bent In the right spot.
Lube the cable with grease.

There were actually 3 different size cables. Early, late and 914-6. Make sure you have the right one.

beerchug.gif
Root_Werks
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 26 2022, 09:29 AM) *

Just one or two tips from me.

Measure your old cable against the new one. Some new ones weren’t bent In the right spot.
Lube the cable with grease.

There were actually 3 different size cables. Early, late and 914-6. Make sure you have the right one.

beerchug.gif

agree.gif

I ordered a set from 914Rubber, I have a late 914-4 converted to a 914-6 with factory heater boxes. 914-4 cables are too short, ordered me some 914-6 cables = cable length is important.
Rob-O
There is a small inspection cover on the center tunnel, very close to the firewall at the back of the passenger cabin. Remove that cover (one screw I believe). Should be able to see the small tunnels (and get the cable started) easier using the hole where the inspection cover was.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.