Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel injector leak
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ebradley
Hi guys
I have an original 74 2.0 all original. I have a gas leak from the fuel rail/injector. I know this is a dumb question, but do I need to unhook the electrical part of the fuel injector? I know they are frail and don’t want to damage it. Not even sure how it comes off.
Any advice would be very helpful. Thanks guys
ndfrigi
where is it leaking? from the rubber line or from the injector seal?

sample pic is from 1.7 but should be the same set-up.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Ebradley
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Mar 26 2022, 01:57 PM) *

where is it leaking? from the rubber line or from the injector seal?

sample pic is from 1.7 but should be the same set-up.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

It’s leaking from the rubber elbow….. at the clamp
BeatNavy
Ed - the stock 2.0 injectors simply unplug. I assume it's the one that looks like this:

IPB Image

You may need to unseat the rubber boot, and then give a gentle pull up. The original wires, connectors, and rubber boots are pretty crunchy at this point and can break, but there are also repair kits available if you need to fix it.

Are you trying to remove the entire injector to replace the rubber hose, for example? Then you also need to remove the injector retainer. That's held on by that circular metal piece with a single 10mm nut holding it at the top. Normally the rubber hose doesn't have much room to give in that space, so even if you unbolt the injector retainer you may have a hard time removing the injector itself. So you may want to try to disconnect the hose from the rail first, remove the retainer nut and retainer. The injector will pull out at that point.

If you replace the injector hose make sure to use a fuel injection style clamp (EDIT, like the ones in ndfriqi's pics) and replace the rubber injector O-ring seal.
Ebradley
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Mar 26 2022, 02:04 PM) *

Ed - the stock 2.0 injectors simply unplug. I assume it's the one that looks like this:

IPB Image

You may need to unseat the rubber boot, and then give a gentle pull up. The original wires, connectors, and rubber boots are pretty crunchy at this point and can break, but there are also repair kits available if you need to fix it.

Are you trying to remove the entire injector to replace the rubber hose, for example? Then you also need to remove the injector retainer. That's held on by that circular metal piece with a single 10mm nut holding it at the top. Normally the rubber hose doesn't have much room to give in that space, so even if you unbolt the injector retainer you may have a hard time removing the injector itself. So you may want to try to disconnect the hose from the rail first, remove the retainer nut and retainer. The injector will pull out at that point.

If you replace the injector hose make sure to use a fuel injection style clamp (EDIT, like the ones in ndfriqi's pics) and replace the rubber injector O-ring seal.

I really appreciate your help. Not removing the injector, only the elbow rubber hose
BeatNavy
In some cases the injector may have the hose pressed on to the body. Those require special tools (or finesse and creativity) to remove. If that's the case, you may have to remove the whole thing. Hopefully not.

Good luck, it's all doable, just a little cramped working down in there with hoses that don't want to bend the way you want and wires that don't want to cooperate.
Ebradley
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Mar 26 2022, 02:14 PM) *

In some cases the injector may have the hose pressed on to the body. Those require special tools (or finesse and creativity) to remove. If that's the case, you may have to remove the whole thing. Hopefully not.

Good luck, it's all doable, just a little cramped working down in there with hoses that don't want to bend the way you want and wires that don't want to cooperate.

Thanks for all your help, I actually was able to unhook the electrical part really easy. And I got to the elbow hose, not a lot of room to work with is right. Thanks again my friend
emerygt350
Flaps carry the injector seals if you need them in the end...
trick-e
QUOTE(Ebradley @ Mar 26 2022, 02:53 PM) *

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Mar 26 2022, 02:14 PM) *

Thanks for all your help, I actually was able to unhook the electrical part really easy. And I got to the elbow hose, not a lot of room to work with is right. Thanks again my friend

If not too late, you might consider just pulling the injector. If original, pulling/torquing on it might cause it to split. Unfixable.
steuspeed
The rubber boots will be crusty and the my come apart. The 2 pin plug just pulls off. Remove the 8mm nut on the hold down clamp. Injector pulls right out. Your leak could also be the 90 degree rubber hose. I had one injector go bad. It was leaking out the side of the body. No fix for that. 2.0L injectors are specific. OEM dark green plastic are not easy to source.
jhynesrockmtn
I'm not the expert many here are but if you are unsure of the history of the injectors, fuel hoses and injector seals I'd pull them, replace the rubber bits and get the injectors tested. If not you may play whacka mole with fuel leaks and really bad things happen when fuel leaks onto a hot engine. It is a bit tedious but fairly easy to do. Heck, I did it.
brubou
I can’t recommend Mr. Injector enough. The pice is very reasonable, the work is high quality and the flow report provide good insight. I just got mine back and they are like brand new. The flow report shows two were not flowing well.
jhynesrockmtn
QUOTE(brubou @ Mar 27 2022, 08:52 AM) *

I can’t recommend Mr. Injector enough. The pice is very reasonable, the work is high quality and the flow report provide good insight. I just got mine back and they are like brand new. The flow report shows two were not flowing well.

Very true. He's local to me and has been a pleasure to deal with.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.