Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ravenna rustoration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SavingManuals
Guys -- It's here! A 74 Ravenna 2.0 with matching motor and original paint. The wheels are dated correctly as well.

Many thanks to @72914wrx and his dad for making this possible.

More details as I learn more, but at the very least, you all know how to interpret the last picture I'm posting today.

The journey begins. welder.gif
SavingManuals
Removing these pics--files are too large!
SavingManuals
Removing these pics--files are too large!
SavingManuals
I guess upsidedown is the option from my phone....

Click to view attachment
Root_Werks
Always liked that green on a 914. Looks like a project, but it's worth it!
Dion
Prolly my favorite colour of the 914.
Good luck with the project. Will be worth it.
wonkipop
great stuff beerchug.gif

its scary looking at rusted 914s when you are an australian.
i take it that is salt rust variety.

i marvel at reconstructions being done by folks on this site.
i tackled an aussie falcon ute with a bit of corrosion.
but we only have the slow moving harmless species that is spelt with a small c.
dhuckabay
Love the color also, still looking for one. Any chance this came out of NJ or was owned by a guy named Frank? If so send me a message.
gereed75
Ravenna is the absolute best!!! Crazy how good some cars can look with so much destruction underneath.

Best of luck on the resto. Thanks for saving the car.
Puebloswatcop
Welcome Jeff,

Very cool Ravenna, reminds me of mine when I started. I am eager to watch your progress.

As for your photos, My camera makes my pictures huge, so I have to edit them and shrink them down so they are not too large to post here, otherwise they end up in all kids of wierd orientations. I just edit the size using Paint and edit them down to 25% size, hope that might help.

Good luck with your project and keep posting....
SavingManuals
@dhuckabay This one came from California with nobody named Frank in its history. Hope you find that one.

QUOTE(dhuckabay @ Mar 28 2022, 11:01 PM) *

Love the color also, still looking for one. Any chance this came out of NJ or was owned by a guy named Frank? If so send me a message.

dhuckabay
I am glad for you. I bought one from a Frank Grossly misrepresented the rust situation. Sued him and won, he took the car back. If yours was the one I was going to tell you where I put a few things to get it back to him, not a problem now. Yours looked better than the one I had but the windshield being taped in was similar.
Good luck with the repairs. You will find that getting back to solid metal is not as big a problem as it looks. A ton of metal parts out there. My last one was easier than the first go at it.
The cars are great fun.

John

QUOTE(SavingManuals @ Mar 29 2022, 07:35 AM) *

@dhuckabay This one came from California with nobody named Frank in its history. Hope you find that one.

QUOTE(dhuckabay @ Mar 28 2022, 11:01 PM) *

SavingManuals
Click to view attachment
SavingManuals
Click to view attachment
SavingManuals
Right side up this time!
Click to view attachment
SavingManuals
Just a glimpse of some parts. Frunk and trunk are full.

Click to view attachment
SavingManuals
I have about 200 more pics to show, so I'll post more in the near future.

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
Should have never sold 7 of 9. One of the best 914 colors. Ping me when you get tired of working on her.
bkrantz
QUOTE(SavingManuals @ Mar 28 2022, 02:46 PM) *

I guess upsidedown is the option from my phone....

Click to view attachment

iPhone rotisserie app?
friethmiller
Hoping the rest of it doesn't look like mine did! I arrowed the same hole. Don't worry, it's all fixable biggrin.gif Love that color!!

Click to view attachment
74ravenna
QUOTE(SavingManuals @ Mar 28 2022, 04:14 PM) *

Guys -- It's here! A 74 Ravenna 2.0 with matching motor and original paint. The wheels are dated correctly as well.

Many thanks to @72914wrx and his dad for making this possible.

More details as I learn more, but at the very least, you all know how to interpret the last picture I'm posting today.

The journey begins. welder.gif

I answered an ad in my local newspaper for a 914. The seller listed the color as green.
In my mind I had an image of something like a British racing green.
When I walked into his garage and saw the Ravenna Green 914, I knew in an instant I was buying the car.
Same situation as yours. All original but a 1.8 not a 2.0.
TRS63
You've got some hours of welder.gif in front of you but nothing impossible..and what a great color!

Keep us informed of your progress,

Antoine
Superhawk996
Can't wait to see this one in person. Welcome to the cult.
SavingManuals
The next group of pics were taken a year ago. Same condition as it sits today in Michigan.
SavingManuals
It was taken off a rotisserie, onto a flatbed, and went to its home in CA with Kevin

Click to view attachment

He and his dad did some assembly

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

SavingManuals
They got this mounted, packaged up the glass and some other details and it was ready to ship. Stephen was kind enough to hold onto it for many months until I could ship it (THANK YOU Stephen!)

More pics to follow soon

Click to view attachment
Superhawk996
Now that I've seen this one in person, I wish I had started my rustoration with a car more like this one.

Front end is very solid. Usual hell hole fiasco. Tunnel & floor pan needs help.

Can't wait to see this one on the road to recovery!

Get Er' Done smash.gif welder.gif
SavingManuals
On Sunday, I talked Phil into meeting me where I have the car stored to literally poke some holes in the many rusty spots. I can report that Phil did a fine job at jabbing holes in my car. (I asked him to bring a pick/awl/screwdriver to find rust and he delivered). I figured he knows the rust game, even better than he thought he would by this point in his project, right Phil? Mine had the potential to be in the same state as his when he started it. The good news is that mine seems to be in better shape than pictures portray (at this point anyway—I’m sure every 914 project starts this way). You'll see what I mean when I get more of the original pics up—still plenty of rust, just not as pervasive as I thought. Phil gave me the rundown…good and bad…on everything he could see, not just the rust. Many thanks, Phil. pray.gif

What's next?
1. Still trying to find a good location to set up shop and dig in. (If anyone in metro Detroit has a spot I can lease, let me know? And, I have a few more cars than just this 914 if you have enough space lol)
2. In the meantime you all know the drill… plenty of bits, large and small, that I need to begin cleaning, reconditioning, or replacing.
3. Engine? Hooo boy, that’s a good question. I’ll be reading about your builds and your other threads—I need to do a LOAD of reading to learn what to do with it. I’ve never cracked an engine before and don’t expect I will unless I read enough to demystify the potential treasure trove I might find when I “unlock” it. Luckily, it’s not actually locked/seized. It spins by hand.
iankarr
At least the rust took care of some of the removal wink.gif. You're in the right place and at the start of a great adventure. You'll have some fun stories to tell when this is done. And just for a little motivation...

Click to view attachment
SavingManuals
Thanks everyone for your encouragement...definitely appreciated!!!

beerchug.gif
SavingManuals
QUOTE(iankarr @ Apr 27 2022, 03:57 PM) *

At least the rust took care of some of the removal wink.gif. You're in the right place and at the start of a great adventure. You'll have some fun stories to tell when this is done. And just for a little motivation...

Click to view attachment

@iankarr Thanks Ian that's a great motivator, as are your YouTube videos. Looking forward to the adventure
SavingManuals
A very quick stop to finally clear the car of almost all the parts that were included but not installed. I haven't had a chance to go through any of it yet.

I didn't recall whether there was a spare--it has a steelie that needs a little cleanup. The frunk is dusty, but looks like it should clean up very well. Small holes at the back of the trunk floor...prob replace a portion of it. Includes nice-to-haves like rear trunk carpet, an original looking pad, and a jack. Some of the cabin carpet looks quite clean.

Some pics from the cabin follow.
SavingManuals
What may look like holes here, are pieces of sound insulation

Click to view attachment
SavingManuals
Click to view attachment
SavingManuals
Click to view attachment
SavingManuals
Click to view attachment
Superhawk996
Start putting penetrating oil on the pedal sled bolts now. Hit them again every time you go get more parts from the car. With some luck after soaking for a few weeks the bolts will come out.

Wondering if the place you have it stored would let you dig the tar off the floor pan over in the back lot? With nice weather, a bunch of that could be done outdoors.

Oscillating multi-tool and some scraper blades are all you need.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.