Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ship car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
greenwheels
Any recommendations to ship 914 from Chicago to DFW. Inquired on one website and phone and text blew up. Like drinking from a firehose. Thanks
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(greenwheels @ Mar 29 2022, 05:11 AM) *

Any recommendations to ship 914 from Chicago to DFW. Inquired on one website and phone and text blew up. Like drinking from a firehose. Thanks

Most of the companies you will find on the web are brokers, even if they tell you they have their own trucks, they don't. They take your info, and your deposit, and put it on Central Dispatch and let the cheapest, worst trucker pick it up, they don't care, they have their money and since most people don't ship cars every day there is no return business. So it doesn't matter if you hate them after the deal, they've moved on to the next guy.

If it's a car you care about hire one of the real shippers like Intercity or Reliable, it will cost double but it is money well spent. Expect to pay $1500-2000 for good shipping. and $800-1200 for "taking a big risk" shipping.

This includes U-Ship, the true wild west of shipping.
Cairo94507
What he just said is 100% accurate.
Puebloswatcop
Just had a hot rod shipped from Washington state to East Texas. Certainly not a cheap endeavor. However Reliable was the way we went. It was more expensive, but they are well insured, and take great care of your car. Your other option would be to rent an enclosed car hauler and do the job yourself, which I did last year.

Like mentioned before, most of the people you find on line are brokers, they take your money and then your car gets there, when it gets there, and not always in the shape it left in.
mepstein
Call Neil. Tell him the guys at rs-werks sent you. He has a private shipping company and charges very reasonable rates for good service. I won't guarantee his service because it's not my company but I have used him for my own deliveries and gave his driver a big tip because he did everything right, showed up on time and was friendly. The driver didn't have a fancy truck or trailer but I was 100% pleased with the service. I will continue to use him.

Neil - 561.385.8791

My experience shipping and receiving cars for the shop was the big expensive guys usually do everything right and have really nice trucks. The rest of them are a big gamble and rarely get it right.
greenwheels
Thanks to all respondents. I now understand how one search generated multiple solicitations. I will consider all your recommendations
ClayPerrine
Are you moving here?

Clay
Unobtanium-inc
If anyone likes the macabre of Porsche shipping I have a selection on my blog:

https://unobtaniuminc.wordpress.com/2012/02...ng-of-porsches/
StarBear
My son used Reliable to ship his from VA to TX. Perfect and right on schedule.
Beach914
I used Plycar to ship my LE from Seattle to Monterey. My friend had his GT350 shipped from LA to Knoxville a few years back. Less expensive than Reliable or InterCity. Nick is a great guy.
SavingManuals
I used Intercity from CA to MI. My cost may have been on the high end because it was a roller with absolutely no brakes. My timeline was ultra-flexible, so I can't comment on stringent scheduling.

They must be doing something right...my driver was carrying a very low mileage BMW M1 that was being shipped by Bruce Canepa.
mepstein
Only the good guys for this one.
jhynesrockmtn
A cautionary tale I heard at a cars and coffee this weekend. Guy in our club (Spokane WA) found a Cayman in the LA area he had to have. He was going to take a trailer down and pick it up but decided this one time to ship it. Found a broker type service.

Car reportedly made it to Klamath Falls OR where the hauler broke down. The car was in an enclosed trailer with a Range Rover of some type.

Short version is the driver took both the Cayman and RR on joy rides and wrecked the Cayman, took it back to LA to a friend who attempted some repairs. The broker eventually got physical custody of the car and returned it to the dealer the car came from.

So, best shipper you can find, plenty of insurance, hope for the best.

He's now in a conversation between the dealer, broker and various insurance companies trying to figure out what to do.
Cornerlot
I've used a few brokers and seemed satisfied 50% of the time, risks and broken promises are common. If at all possible use a direct company like Reliable, shipped with them maybe 20 times personally and hundreds professionally without incident. Costs more but usually worth it.
GBX0073
Another thing to add to the process all they need is a week notice to pickup/ship because the majority of car shipping is brokered out the day or two before your ask date you may find they will show up a day earlier or a day late
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.