Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: seeking floor jack adaptor (uses car's jack pt)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mikeyb33
While at a Porsche club event last year, I saw someone with a 914 who had a nifty attachment to their floor jack -- basically an adaptor that allows you to jack up your car using the car's jack point. Which is way-cool since it allows you to jack up the whole side of the car in one lift - making tire changes a bit faster.

Although I had asked them where to get one, I have since forgotten [me=dumbass], and have had bad luck with my usually good Googling skills in trying to find this item on the web anywhere.

sooo, if anyone knows where I can find one of them I'd greatly appreciate the info!

Mueller
eBay......$20 or less
Joe Bob
Square piece of metal with a round piece welded to it???

Pelican carries them...$16

user posted image
Cap'n Krusty
Better be DAM* sure your jack points are in 95% plus condition, or you'll regret the day you ever had this thought. The Cap'n
jonwatts
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 1 2005, 07:12 PM)
Better be DAM* sure your jack points are in 95% plus condition, or you'll regret the day you ever had this thought. The Cap'n

Using the floor jack adapter tool or using the factory jack points in general?

SirAndy
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 1 2005, 07:12 PM)

agree.gif with the krusty one ...

if the jack-point fails, it'll be UGLY!
icon8.gif Andy
mihai914
Using the engine mount bar will raise the whole side and be more solid than the 30 year old jacking plates, just be sure that the jack is placed properly.
SirAndy
QUOTE (mihai914 @ Aug 1 2005, 07:55 PM)
Using the engine mount bar will raise the whole side and be more solid than the 30 year old jacking plates, just be sure that the jack is placed properly.

unless you have a tail-shifter, in which case this is not a gud idea at all!

wink.gif Andy
mihai914
Thanks Andy, I didn't know. While he's jacking the car, he should convert to a sideshifter biggrin.gif
jonwatts
hijacked.gif slightly

The factory jack points will also raise the whole side of the car, and are much easier to use on a lowered car.

I agree that the stock jack points could use some over-engineering. Anyone have pictures of over-engineered jack points?

Joe Bob
"I" prefer using the donuts that are under the pan on all four corners. My aluminum floor jack has a cup that fits right over it....no slip.
Aaron Cox
i cant get a floor jack under my car....thus i have one of these...and love it./ 10 bucks or so on the bay
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (SEEMORE BUTZ @ Aug 1 2005, 07:19 PM)
"I" prefer using the donuts that are under the pan on all four corners. My aluminum floor jack has a cup that fits right over it....no slip.

Mikey astounds us with unusual clarity of vision, and he's right, too ................. The Cap'n
Trekkor
I made mine out of scrap metal.

Go to a metal/welding shop. Ask for a 12" piece of bar stock that fits in the receiver and a 6x6 square of 1/4 inch plate.

you'll spend $1.00 and 5 minutes with your welder. welder.gif

KT
Garland
This one fell ! off my parts car when I removed the skirting. chowtime.gif Chow on rust.
Joe Bob
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Aug 1 2005, 08:09 PM)
i cant get a floor jack under my car....thus i have one of these...and love it./ 10 bucks or so on the bay

The newer lightweight aluminum jacks are VERY low profile....stop using the Harbor Freight piece of crap jacks and get a real gud one... cool_shades.gif
mightyohm
If you jack the car up by the donuts - where do you put the jackstands???
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (jkeyzer @ Aug 1 2005, 10:10 PM)

i use the rear trailing arm pivot tube religously.....

have really tall jackstands....works awesome

AA
Maltese Falcon
All of your Harbor Freight crap jacks are belonging to me , Nah ! blink.gif
jonwatts
Crap Jacks, they're not just for breakfast anymore.

bondo

I just lift the front of the car, have my wife place the front jackstands, then do the same for the rear. The hardest part is finding a place to grab onto that doesn't hurt your hands. smile.gif

(Bare tub, YMMV) biggrin.gif
mikeyb33
thanks for the responses, all!

- yes my 30+ year old jack points are in good condition: but thanks for the heads-up, that could be a disaster for those who are unaware.
- yes I wanted to be able to lift the car & put jackstands under both front/rear corner "donut" lift points: I've been lifting the car using the rear donut-point but even with the ass-end raised way high up (..the CAR's) it's still not high enough to put a jackstand under the front pt.
- no I don't have a welding machine but that was also a good suggestion.

AH: found it: The correct term for this item is "jack pad":
automotion.com
pelicanparts.com
-- going by the pictures alone, automotion's looked a little nicer. FWIW

thanks again everyone! beerchug.gif
mike
Joe Bob
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Aug 1 2005, 09:12 PM)

i use the rear trailing arm pivot tube religously.....

have really tall jackstands....works awesome

AA

yup...me too...
jonwatts
What if your suspension is all purdy powdercoated?

Wonder if that Plasti-Dip stuff would stick to jack stands good enough?
user posted image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.