Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can the heads be reversed?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Boothy
Hello all!

I saw on Ian Karr's video (after I had one head on) that the head with the temp pickup goes on the right or passenger side.

Naturally I saw his vid AFTER I had on head on (with all the tubes nestled in place). With the exception of moving the wire for the temp pickup I don't think it should matter which side is which. But I'll ask before going any further.

Thanks!
ClayPerrine
The temp sender needs to be on the right rear cylinder (#3). That cylinder is the farthest from the fan, and runs hottest. Don't try to run the temp sender from the left head. It will make the engine run rich.

You either have to switch the heads, or drill and tap (8x1.0 threads). The boss is there, it has not been drilled and tapped in the left cylinder head.

Clay
SirAndy
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 29 2022, 11:44 AM) *
The temp sender needs to be on the right rear cylinder (#3). That cylinder is the farthest from the fan, and runs hottest. Don't try to run the temp sender from the left head. It will make the engine run rich.
You either have to switch the heads, or drill and tap (8x1.0 threads). The boss is there, it has not been drilled and tapped in the left cylinder head.

agree.gif
iankarr
Yep. Sender on right at #3
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 29 2022, 11:44 AM) *

Clay

If he's only got 1 head on thus far it seems a lot easier to remove it and reinstall on the correct side than to drill and tap. Just be careful with the pushrod tube seals, or if unsure just replace the outer ones. Reinz are only about a buck apiece. First check and make sure you don't have two heads that are both threaded. After 50+ years who knows what might be there?
Boothy
Will do. Thanks all!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.