Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: looking for info about a 914 RestoMod
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CCSmith58
Hello 914 World
I just registered a few weeks ago.
I apologize in advance if I post in the wrong place or ????
The point of following long post is, I’m looking for info about a 914 RestoMod
(I only learned this term recently).

My name is Charlie
I live in La Canada Flintridge here in Southern California
(I’m 6mi NW of the Rose Bowl)

I retired a couple years ago and my wife and I had been kicking around the
idea of a “fun” driver.
Our first thoughts were some form of a 1969 Camaro.
My wife had a ’69 Z28 (new in College) and I had a ’69 RS - 327 (in 1979)
My memories of the RS are less fond than my wife’s memories of her Z.
I spent more time working on it, repairing it and in Traffic Court….

Unfortunately my wife developed some health issues.
So the idea of the “fun” driver was put on hold.

I’ve recently started looking again.

When I think back, the most fun I had driving, was a 1974 914 - 2.0 - 4
I bought the car in ’80 or ’81
I owned the car for 5 years.
While driving around, I met a few other 914 owners.
One guy had a ’72 916 - 6…. That was more like a car I wanted !!

In the past several months of casual looking, I’ve learned the term “RestoMod”…
THAT’S a car I want !!

My point and question is: I’m looking to find a 914 similar to some I’ve found online.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-porsche-914-6-9/
http://www.retromodcars.com/features/jade-914
http://www.retromodcars.com/features/sleep...es-a-993-engine
https://www.tuningblog.eu/en/kategorien/aut...estomod-320187/
https://www.motorward.com/2016/02/1974-pors...est-thing-ever/

I’m looking for help locating something like these cars
(maybe not quite as crazy-builds as some of them).
Or a Team to build something “fun”…. I’m in the $80K range….

Am I in the ballpark here ???
Any thoughts and direction would be much appreciated !!

ThAnKs - Charlie
Front yard mechanic
80 will make a nice down payment on any of the cars you hilighted driving-girl.gif
Chris H.
welcome.png $80k should get you something very nice.
Cairo94507
Welcome to the World Charlie. welcome.png

This is a terrific group of people who love the 914 in any iteration. There is always a 914-6 restomod or even original popping up for sale here. Spend the time to read as many of the build threads as you can to really get a solid information basis about what you want and do not want. Then when one pops up you will know if that is the one for you.

I feel you are better served by buying someone else's project or even running car and then finishing it or making the changes you want to make it your car. As I get older, time is just not as abundant as it once was to tackle a multi-year build. I just want to drive and enjoy them.

I too had a '69 Z-28 (Lemans Blue with white rally stripes, cowl induction hood, etc., way back in the mid-70's. That was one of the fastest cars I can remember. beerchug.gif
Shivers
welcome.png

Hi Charlie, I could have been one of those owners. 80 K should get something nice.
Bullethead
welcome.png Here's a nice one but prepare for BaT-shit bidders. The car sold on the World just 5 years ago for $28K, a screaming deal. Looks like it is probably headed a good bit north of that number this time.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-porsche-914-58/
infraredcalvin
Sounds like you’re not really looking for a project car and are looking for turnkey. The ones you’ve sent links look to be the best of the best in terms of restomods, in other words out of your $80k price range, and closer to a $100k price tag (I can’t believe I’m saying this). The one mentioned on BAT will still require some work, imo this car needs quite a bit of dialing in:

Finish oil cooling system
Add muffler/heat
Upgrade transmission to 915
Test and tuning

That being said, this may end up going close to or below your budget, just remember fees, taxes, etc. Then on top of that another $25+ to correctly address the above with any other PO fixes you find along the way. There should be several cars in this category at your price range or below, but expect to put more $$$ into it.

I would have a serious talk with Patrick Motorsports and /or possibly better yet Eric Shea at PMB about their turnkey conversion costs. You may have to lower your expectations with powertrain to get a really nice/finished car in your price range. Think 3.2 or below as the 3.4+ motors are starting to go for crazy $$$.

Remember that someone’s else’s project conversion will always have some bugs, fine tuning, update/upgrading involved, so be prepared to put some work into it.

Welcome and good luck!
ValcoOscar
Wow....I just sold my original 914-6 to Dick Barbour a few weeks ago, not perfect, but good bones. Wish we could have met up.

In your price range....

Oscar

Click to view attachment

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325123415474?hash=...HQAAOSwf-ZiQx3S
Root_Werks
welcome.png

Keep your eyes and ears open, something usually comes up. Maybe even post a WTB in the vehicles section here?

Looking to buy a turnkey is smart. It costs more to build or redo a 914 and it's time lost to drive and enjoy.

driving.gif
ndfrigi
Check Jim ( @banananose914 ) if he still have the white original 914-6 he is selling recently.

burton73
Welcome to the world. You have your feelers out and if you have some $ you will find something very nice, but spend some time here to find out what you want.

Best, Bob B west side of L.A.
welcome.png
eric9144
If you're patient, the right car can be had in your price range--esp considering your location, lots of great 914's and deep pockets for hot rodding.

Couple of suggestions,
Find a good mechanic that will work on your car and can be trusted, that will be key if you don't do your own work--you may want to lean on this resource for a PPI (pre-purchase inspection) if it's local and if it's not local scramble to find something near the car being offered so it can be seen prior to purchase to save head aches in the future. Sometimes that can't happen but it's comforting/reassuring to have someone give a second opinion to your purchase.

Also, be ready to move fast if the right car comes up and don't waste time with the back and forth, most of your questions/concerns are always best answered in person when you can put hands on the car and have the owners attention vs email or phone.

JamesM
QUOTE(CCSmith58 @ Mar 29 2022, 09:45 PM) *

https://www.motorward.com/2016/02/1974-pors...est-thing-ever/

I’m looking for help locating something like these cars
(maybe not quite as crazy-builds as some of them).
Or a Team to build something “fun”…. I’m in the $80K range….

ThAnKs - Charlie

That last one you posted, the black car with the chopped top is somewhat in a league of its own as far as mods go but all those cars posted have some pretty serious professional work done.

Honestly if you have the time and the money, which it sounds like you do I would say build the car you want, or more accurately have a shop that specalizes is such things build the car you want.

Talk to @Eric_Shea at PMB Performance, look at the cars they have delivered to customers. Pick whatever specific mods appeal to you from the bunch and get them all built in a single car. Its the only way to get the exact car you want the way you want it. Unless of course one of the cars you see is already exactly the way you want it in every way, in which case they technically could build that too.

Check our Larrys or Bob B's build to see what I mean. I have a feeling they will be right up your alley.
JamesM
You are probably going to want to skip to the end of that thread for more of the completed pictures, but while subtle just about every single bit on the car is a custom job.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=307620
CCSmith58

ThAnKs - Charlie

Check our Larrys or Bob B's build to see what I mean. I have a feeling they will be right up your alley.

Hi JamesM... Thanks for the input !!
Who / what are the " Larrys or Bob B's build" you refer to ???

VegasRacer
QUOTE(CCSmith58 @ Mar 31 2022, 09:40 PM) *

ThAnKs - Charlie

You are currently in the bleachers and wanting to hit a home run. flag.gif

Special cars like you are seeking do come up for sale occasionally. You need to be ready to pounce when they do. Good ones do not last. Keep checking here and Bring A Trailer. Your 80K should buy something nice. (be ready to spend more.)

It will cost you almost twice that to build one. Put together a wish list. Call Patrick Motorsports or PMB and see what they say. Probably going to take more than a year also. (Renegade is an option if you want a LS powered car.)

As we say in Vegas: "Good Luck" beerchug.gif
JamesM
QUOTE(CCSmith58 @ Mar 31 2022, 08:40 PM) *

ThAnKs - Charlie

Hi JamesM... Thanks for the input !!
Who / what are the " Larrys or Bob B's build" you refer to ???

Bobs car is in the thread i linked above. Larrys car us a gulf blue car, dont have a link for that but im sure there are pictures around.

https://www.facebook.com/PMBPerformance/pho...155783525283193
DaveB
The cars we enjoyed when we were 20 feel different at 60. What are you expecting for the ride and feel of a restored/modernized 914 (4 or 6)?

DaveB
Root_Werks
QUOTE(DaveB @ Apr 1 2022, 10:37 AM) *

The cars we enjoyed when we were 20 feel different at 60. What are you expecting for the ride and feel of a restored/modernized 914 (4 or 6)?

DaveB

agree.gif

So true! Although I'm 49 so not quite the age spread. But the same applies. Grown out of loud and not caring if the car has heat or fuel vapor system installed etc.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.