Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Some one called me a speedbump today.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
HansJan
This dude in an AT&T maintenance pickup truck pushed me into oncoming traffic while I was waiting for a gap to turn right.

Once the car in front of me went he thought it was his turn because I was out of his line of sight.

He told me that he though that he went over a speedbump and that was why he kept on pushing.

These low cars are lots of fun (just not all the time).
bkrantz
Crap. How much damage?
Shivers
Geeze, what a bummer. Hope the damage isn't too bad. So he pulled up behind you, and then forgot you were there? Another good reason to get that giant wing for the back. wink.gif
HansJan
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Mar 30 2022, 09:50 PM) *

Crap. How much damage?

Not too bad.
Looks like only need a new rubber bumper-top.
steuspeed
Visibility is terrible. I rode in a 1500 RAM and I was like, how do you dive this thing? You can't see anything low in front.
wonkipop
QUOTE(HansJan @ Mar 30 2022, 09:10 PM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Mar 30 2022, 09:50 PM) *

Crap. How much damage?

Not too bad.
Looks like only need a new rubber bumper-top.

bummer.

at least the guy said he felt he hit something he could not see.
kind of honest.

in aus some karen (refered here to as a jackie - = jackie lambie) would jump out of her 5 storey suv and tell you that you are a bastard for driving a car so low she couldn't see it and she would henceforth see that you lost your license, had your car impounded and were prevented from shopping for groceries as well as given the death sentence for impeding further forward motion on her part.

we are going in the opposite vertical dimension of the 70s.
is this a losing idea?

mate914
QUOTE(HansJan @ Mar 30 2022, 10:26 PM) *

This dude in an AT&T maintenance pickup truck pushed me into oncoming traffic while I was waiting for a gap to turn right.

Once the car in front of me went he thought it was his turn because I was out of his line of sight.

He told me that he though that he went over a speedbump and that was why he kept on pushing.

Glad you and car are safe. Loud horns and loud pipes help a lot, also a 6 to blow off his doors.
Matt flag.gif
Cairo94507
I am pretty sure all of us have had that nightmare. I am glad no injuries and hopefully minor damage. Of course here in CA there is a 50/50 chance the person hitting you would just flee....thanks CA politicians.
GregAmy
That's messed up.

I drive my 914 like I driuve my moto...but there's only so much you can do with people behind you.

In NYC traffic I've often wanted to have one of those dune buggy safety flags tagged onto my bumper...as I'm looking out my driver's window at a semi's lugnuts at eye level...

IPB Image
Superhawk996
QUOTE(HansJan @ Mar 30 2022, 10:26 PM) *

A rear end accident like that combined with the bootyshake.gif hole's comments ought to get him an automatic license revocation, and mandatory driver ed and road testing.

Hopefully, AT&T will put him on desk jockey duty with the customer service call center.

I drive both Light Duty and Heavy Duty pickups with regularity and there is no way a whole length of a 914 is obscured by the hood line. Not sure of the laws in your state but I'd consider an attorney if needed to make sure your vehicle is fixed properly.
bretth
Yeah a lot of huge pickup trucks in Texas. Was thinking of doing the flag thing with my car when I manage to get it on the road. Glad you and car are OK.
Unpretentious
“Speed Bump” has been my wife’s unaffectionate name for my ‘73 1.7. She referred to
it’s color as “asphalt gray.” It became such an issue that it’s now in the shop being painted the highly visible “viper green” offered in ‘76 only.
friethmiller
Well, if you don't have one already, it might be time for a 3rd brake light? Did mine in an hour or two. Just had to fab the small 90 degree brackets and run the wires. Sister'd it into the drivers side tail lamp. Unnoticeable. Can't tell it's on from inside at night.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
StarBear
Viper Green! Sweet! Please do post pics when done.
beerchug.gif
StarBear
QUOTE(friethmiller @ Mar 31 2022, 11:23 AM) *

Well, if you don't have one already, it might be time for a 3rd brake light? Did mine in an hour or two. Just had to fab the small 90 degree brackets and run the wires. Sister'd it into the drivers side tail lamp. Unnoticeable. Can't tell it's on from inside at night.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Yep; did the same thing and uber cautious when coming to a stop sign or light, checking for nuts in the rear view mirror. Thinking (?) of adding a small flag at the top of the antenna, too. driving.gif
friethmiller
@StarBear

Right on! This is one of many "good advice" items I've taken from this site. I guess a baja flag might be next! flag.gif
JeffBowlsby
Visibility is one reason I like the Can Am cars - to be seen for safety reasons.
Root_Werks
I really don't want to add a 3rd brake light, but hearing stories like this are making me think again about it.
StarBear
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Mar 31 2022, 01:36 PM) *

I really don't want to add a 3rd brake light, but hearing stories like this are making me think again about it.

Ran me about $30 and an hour. Used magnets, painted same as car color, to mount it on the underside of the rollbar above the grill. Ran wire through the trim into the trunk and right rear brakelight. So far so good! Removable in about 5 minutes.
wonkipop
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Mar 31 2022, 11:36 AM) *

wouldn't matter if you had a 5th brake light in australia. they would still run into you.
they are not looking at the road, are either gazing into the hi phone in their lap or are frigging about with the touch screen on the dash.

touch screens. big ones. who thought that was a good idea for cars.
oh yeah. that guy.
mb911
QUOTE(Unpretentious @ Mar 31 2022, 07:07 AM) *

“Speed Bump” has been my wife’s unaffectionate name for my ‘73 1.7. She referred to
it’s color as “asphalt gray.” It became such an issue that it’s now in the shop being painted the highly visible “viper green” offered in ‘76 only.

Viper green metallic? My buddy has a 79 930 that color 1 of 2 produced. Super awesome color.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.