Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT- Is 914world not being indexed by Google
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rjames
I used to use Google to search the 914world site as it was a lot more likely to find the results I was looking for over the site’s built in search engine, but nothing shows up on Google anymore.

Did the admins block Google from indexing the site?
Superhawk996
I’ve noticed the same thing.

I’ve written it off to Google fact checking and putting misinformation down the memory hole av-943.gif
roblav1
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Mar 31 2022, 04:53 AM) *

I’ve noticed the same thing.

I’ve written it off to Google fact checking and putting misinformation down the memory hole av-943.gif

agree.gif

From Galt's Gulch in KY.
GregAmy
Nope. HTML code shows it's available for crawling and in fact has a google ownership verification.

<meta name="google-site-verification" content="24LycWZiGpj9KZ57ryI6XuTGg4AwuwNDazk4V_OJIAY">

However, I, too, have noticed that using a Google search on this forum (site:914world.com) has not been particularly effective.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Mar 31 2022, 09:49 AM) *

However, I, too, have noticed that using a Google search on this forum (site:914world.com) has not been particularly effective.

it used to be just fine. I think this started about two months ago. Strangely the site: search string still works just fine on other web sites when used with Google.

Makes it really tough to find information and of course when my desktop went poof and I migrated to Linux, I lost all my old 914world bookmarks. sad.gif

hissyfit.gif
mgarrison
I've noticed the same thing - seems like all you get from using "site:914world.com xxxxx" is just a few images. If you click on an image, it will pull the original posting. I've been copying URLs into a text file for reference. Not sure how else to keep track of stuff... confused24.gif
BeatNavy
I've always done it using this URL and it still seems to work fine:

http://cse.google.com/cse?cx=0024083458981...772:ajvfxschcgc

lesorubcheek
Seeing the same here also. Just searched for 3.5" strut. google returns practically nothing, but duckduckgo, bing, yahoo, etc return a somewhat expected number of matching hits for site:914world.com. Yet another example of why I need to stop using google at all.

Dan
SirAndy
Probably related to this:
www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=353342
since Gmail is one of the email domains that has us blacklisted.

If anyone has any bright ideas, lets hear them.

I literally have contacted all the major providers that have us blacklisted hundreds of times explaining that members have to manually opt-in to get notifications.
headbang.gif
GregAmy
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Mar 31 2022, 11:17 AM) *

OK, that's a keeper.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 10 2021, 03:38 PM) *

I had to turn OFF email notifications for Forum/Thread subscriptions and they will have to stay OFF for quite some time.
sad.gif

Unfortunately, a bunch of members have flagged our notification emails as SPAM even though they have to OPT-IN to receive those notifications and as a result we have been blacklisted by many of the larger email services, like gmail etc.
headbang.gif

This means i will have to spent days/weeks going back an forth with a bunch of blacklist service providers to get this straightened out.
dry.gif

Well isn't that cute. Literally screwed by the members you're trying to serve. WTF.gif

I'm so sorry to hear this.
Superhawk996

smilie_pokal.gif
Van B
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 31 2022, 11:26 AM) *

Probably related to this:
www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=353342
since Gmail is one of the email domains that has us blacklisted.

If anyone has any bright ideas, lets hear them.

I literally have contacted all the major providers that have us blacklisted hundreds of times explaining that members have to manually opt-in to get notifications.
headbang.gif

Andy,
you posted that last year, but I was still getting email notifications for PM's or mentions until recently. Like in the last couple weeks recently.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Van B @ Mar 31 2022, 09:04 AM) *
Andy,
you posted that last year, but I was still getting email notifications for PM's or mentions until recently. Like in the last couple weeks recently.

OK, good for you i guess?
confused24.gif
Van B
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 31 2022, 12:06 PM) *

Andy,

confused24.gif

Sure. Good talk
SirAndy
QUOTE(Van B @ Mar 31 2022, 09:07 AM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 31 2022, 12:06 PM) *

Andy,

confused24.gif

Sure. Good talk

I'm sure you had a point. You just forgot to mention it. Happens to the best of us.
shades.gif

doug_b_928
I tired this link but it still doesn't work as well, or at all, for finding the threads I'm looking for. A simple google search in the past would bring up everything.

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Mar 31 2022, 11:03 AM) *

smilie_pokal.gif

SirAndy
I should probably look at this more often. There's a pretty sharp drop off starting at the end of January.
confused24.gif

Van B
Mid-March coincides with my observation that you responded to so sweetly.

I still don't understand why my email notifications stopped but when I try to use google, and even when I enter "914 world" in the search terms, I get responses like this:
jrmdir
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Mar 31 2022, 10:17 AM) *

I get an error on that URL now. Anyone else?
SirAndy
Mystery solved, Google changed the way they interpret the different bot sections in the robots.txt file.

I updated our file according to their guidelines and it now validates correctly with their service.
I also requested a re-indexing of the site.

This will take some time to make a noticeable impact on search results though ...
idea.gif

Van B
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 31 2022, 01:42 PM) *

Mystery solved, Google changed the way they interpret the different bot sections in the robots.txt file.

I updated our file according to their guidelines and it now validates correctly with their service.

This will take some time to make a noticeable impact on search results though ...
idea.gif

NOICE! beerchug.gif
mepstein
Thanks Andy. beerchug.gif
rjames
Awesome. Thank you, Andy!
Shivers
cheer.gif smilie_pokal.gif cheer.gif Thank you Sir
VaccaRabite
Man. I just thought I had lost my search mojo. It never occurred to me that it may be a site issue with google.

Zach
NARP74
While we are on the subject, Firefox gives me this message,
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/insecu...ource=inproduct

I use a vpn so I think I am ok...
NARP74
Do you still use the site:URL syntax with this search option?

SirAndy
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Mar 31 2022, 03:01 PM) *

While we are on the subject, Firefox gives me this message,
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/insecu...ource=inproduct

I use a vpn so I think I am ok...

Just a generic warning because we don't use https on the site.

As long as your password here is not the same you use for banking ...
popcorn[1].gif

aharder
Thanks Andy !! beerchug.gif
GregAmy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 31 2022, 01:42 PM) *

idea.gif

...definition of "you rock"...

Hey, justsayin.
bkrantz
Thanks Andy--well done.
gonzo54
Sir Andy, Thank you for this fabulous site.
Montreal914
pray.gif
Superhawk996
pray.gif
eric9144
piratenanner.gif
I thought I was just loosing my touch, I used the site:914world searchthing method all the time and nearly always had the right results on the 1st page

As Always Andy, thank you for doing what you do! first.gif aktion035.gif
RoadGlue
Thanks Andy!
Superhawk996
andy914.jpg

dropped $25 into the membership & keep the servers running fund! That ought to cover about .01 hours of the time and energy SirAndy put into it trying to resolve this. Best site on the web!

SirAndy
Looks like my fix is working biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Van B
Hell yeah!
Do you see any change in site traffic or member count as well?
StarBear
Sir Andy - you’re the BEST! Cheers to you, sir beerchug.gif
Superhawk996
Great Job SirAndy.

I've noticed substantial improvement in the Google search capability lately! It has been slowly getting better and better over time as you said.
fiacra
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Apr 1 2022, 12:10 PM) *

andy914.jpg

dropped $25 into the membership & keep the servers running fund! That ought to cover about .01 hours of the time and energy SirAndy put into it trying to resolve this. Best site on the web!

Thanks for bringing that up. It was a good reminder that it has been over a year since I upped my membership. It's now taken care of. Probably the best $25 I've spent this past year.
FlacaProductions
thank you!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.