Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1976 2.0L exhaust replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
I have nice Stainless heat exchangers from a 1974 2.0L and want to put them on my 1976 2.0L engine with a bone OE stock muffler from a 1.8L - into my 1972 914?

Or can I use any year exhaust as long as the HE's are from the same engine type as the mufflers?

Jim
mihai914
What you have currently won't work together. 2.0 heat exchangers will only work with a 2.0 muffler and hanger. The difference is at the end of the HE, the 2.0 goes straight and the 1.7-1.8 bend upward.

If I were you, I would buy a exhaust for the HE you currently have.
D1A3
My car is a 76 2.0. I've got SS heat exchangers and a Bursch muffler. No cat, running a bypass. Runs, heats and sounds great! I think I've seen on some other 2.0's where there are two pipes exiting the heat exchangers. Mine have only one though. Never thought much to investigate, but I really like the SS and Bursch setup I have.

smilie_pokal.gif

--Jason
jimkelly
Thanks guys!

Jim smile.gif
Bleyseng
I have never seen a SS HE for the later 75-76 style. I am running SSI HE's with the Bursch muffler which improves the hp over the later style.
jimkelly
Here is my understanding,

HE's from a 1970 to 1974 2.0L must be used with respective 70-74 2.0L muffler.

HE's from a 1975 or 1976 2.0L must be used with respective 75-76 2.0L muffler thus will have the triangular type flange.

HE's from any 1970 to 1976 1.7L or 1.8L must be used with respective muffler.

But any of these set ups would work on any 1.7, 1.8, or 2.0 non modified type4 914 engine?

Thanks,

Jim
bd1308
I have a complete 1.8 system (HEs, and 1.8 exhaust)on my car, worked with both the 2.0 and my 1.7

works good.
bd1308
QUOTE (jimkelly @ Aug 2 2005, 05:42 AM)

But any of these set ups would work on any 1.7, 1.8, or 2.0 non modified type4 914 engine?

as long as its matched, yes it will work fine. the angles and positions are different for each set, BUT they all work with the engines just fine.
rhodyguy
the 1.8 he to muffler gaskets are dif than the 2.0 as well.

k
bd1308
hmmm.....

mine are the dual-output ones from the HEs.....just like the 2.0.....takes the geo/suzuki exhaust gasket.
rhodyguy
yes britt. the earlier style 1.7/1.8 and 2.0 both have 2 large holes in them for the exhaust gases. source one for a 1.7/1.8 and compare it to one for a 2.0. dif bolt hole spacing. i don't buy suzuki parts for my 914.

k
bd1308
heh. me either. my flange gasket was shot so i got this new one....has several different applications.
Dave_Darling
Note that the muffler hanger must also match the heat exchanger and muffler. (And the muffler gaskets, as well.) But those, as a unit, will swap to any 914 engine.

The 75-76 1.8s (if any 76es; I think the verdict is still out) used the same exhaust as the 75-76 2.0 cars did.

--DD
MoveQik
I have a similar situation. I have a 75 1.8. However, the HE's are not correct for the engine. I am not exactly sure what year/size engine the HE's are from. From what I am reading above, it looks like I only need to worry about matching exhaust & HE's. The engine is irrelevant? Is that correct? confused24.gif
bd1308
yup. engine is irrevelant.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (MW 914 @ Aug 2 2005, 03:52 PM)
I have a similar situation. I have a 75 1.8. However, the HE's are not correct for the engine. I am not exactly sure what year/size engine the HE's are from.

We can ID them from pics, if you like. Or we can try describing them...

Headers: Just tubes--they join together (either all four into one, or four into two into one) and exit the car. For a street application, there'll be a muffler of some kind.

75-76 exhaust: Two pipes come down off each head and immediately join together and carry the exhaust forward. Another piece bolts on that makes a sharp turn back toward the back of the car; this is the part that has the heat exchanger wrapping on it. Inside the exchanger, the exhaust is a single pipe on each side. The muffler flanges are triangles.

73-74 2.0 exhaust: Two pipes come down off each head and curve toward the back of the car. The heat exchanger wrapping closes over them, and continues for a couple of feet toward the back of the car. The two pipes exit the back of the wrapping, and connect to the muffler flange. The muffler flange is a trapezoid shape. The bottom of the flange is roughly even with the bottom of the heat exchanger wrapping, the pipes go straight back from the wrapping to the flange.

70-74 1.7/1.8 exhaust: Very similar to the 73-74 2.0 exhaust, above. The major visible difference is that the pipes that come out of the heat exchanger wrapping turn upward for maybe a couple of inches, and then continue straight back to the muffler flange. This is the "kick up" that is referred to. The bottom of the muffler flange would be a couple of inches above the bottom of the heat exchanger wrapping.

Most of the "other" heater parts from the 75-76 cars do not fit on the 70-74 exhausts. The S-shaped ducts from the fan shroud to the exchangers, the J-shaped tubes coming down through the engine tin, the tubes from the exchangers to the flapper valves--all of those are different. The flapper valves are the same, but they can be tough to separate from the rest of the bits.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.