Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Advice Needed Installing Nose Cone
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
poorsche914
I replaced the transmission nose cone gasket but am having a tough time getting the cone back on. Is there a secret to getting the small gear to align to the indent in the cone?

I recall years ago cracking the cone on one of these and don't really want to repeat that blink.gif

Thanks
driving.gif
Superhawk996
I only have 6 bits of advice.

1) Patience
2) Use a dab of grease to hold things in place.
3) The mating surfaces should be flat and mated before anything is tightened
4) Never force anything. Leave the BFH in the tool box.
5) Work on the trans in vertical orientation. Don't try to fight gravity.
6) Dr. Evil video
mepstein
When it’s lined up properly, it just slides into place. Definitely no force is needed.
bdstone914
I replaced one with the trans in the car. Had to use a thin screw driver to get the reverse gear to align. Maybe test fit without the gear to make sure ther are no problems.
poorsche914
If I remove the speedo gear drive unit, I can get the cone to fit down snug if I wiggle the stub axles a bit. But I am unable to insert the speedo drive unit at that point and, with the drive unit in place, cannot get the cone to drop into place.

This shouldn't be such a difficult task! headbang.gif

1) Patience CHECK
2) Use a dab of grease to hold things in place. I THOUGHT OF THIS BUT DIDN'T KNOW IF IT WOULD HURT ANYTHING IN THE GEARBOX
3) The mating surfaces should be flat and mated before anything is tightened YEP
4) Never force anything. Leave the BFH in the tool box. AGREED
5) Work on the trans in vertical orientation. Don't try to fight gravity. CHECK
6) Dr. Evil video MIGHT BE OVERKILL FOR THIS PARTICULAR SITUATION confused24.gif

Thanks, all. I will try again this evening.

driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.