Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anti-roll bar questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MM1
Over the years I’ve read here that for street/canyon carving the best set up for anti-rollbars (“sway bars” so I can type less) for 914 is as follows:

1.) Both front and rear (oem) sway bars

or

2.) Front oem and heavier springs (instead of a rear sway bar) for a 6 or 8 conversion

I recently purchased a V8 project and discovered that while it unfortunately has no front bar, there is a custom mounted rear sway bar which appears to use the OEM-style bar with a different connection/setup (probably to clear the exhaust and mufflers of the V-8).

Isn’t having no bar on the front and a sway bar in the rear completely backwards (potentially dangerous in the canyons) from what it should be? It sounds like this set up would make the car very difficult to turn in and it would still roll in the front. @Pete000 says I’d be better off disconnecting the rear until I can find the means and time to install an OEM front sway bar - I am inclined to agree with my “OEM Guru”. . .

I believe I have also read that with a heavier iron block V-8 conversion some prefer a thicker front bar than OEM. I don’t want the car to ride rough but I just would like it to handle as well as possible for a streetcar that will be primarily driven (spiritedly) in the canyons. Thoughts?

Brain trust, please grace me with your wisdom!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
mepstein
That's crazy. Either install a front bar or remove the rear. If you plan to install a front (I definitely would) just uncouple the drop links on the rear until you get a front bar on the car.
Chris914n6
With the V8 the car should have, or have been planned to have, the 911 front suspension swap. That usually comes with an under body sway bar of 20mm or 22mm which would be fine.

Or your car may be a product of redneck engineering....

I think you can still buy the matching Addco front bar.
waltonsm
I have 930 arms/torsion bars/sway bar that I was planning to sell in the next couple of months. Let me know if you are interested in going that route.

I also have the steering rack and aluminum crossmember that I haven’t decided what to do with.

These were leftover from my recent off-road build endeavor.

-steve
infraredcalvin
The first question that should be asked is HOW DOES YOUR CAR HANDLE NOW? There’s clearly is not enough information or photos provided for anyone to make any kind of recommendation.

While typical setups are good starting points they are not necessarily the gospel. Besides, there are setups that may technically be recommended, but if you’re not comfortable with the setup it’s not going to do you any good.

What exactly is your front and rear setup? (914 or 911 setup, Tbar size, spring rate, coil overs, condition of shocks/struts/bushings, underbody front sway?)
When you drive the car, what is it doing/how does it feel when normal driving? when spirited driving? (Under/over steer, tracking, darting, snap fishtail)
What specifically do you like or not like under these conditions? (Some people like a tight, balanced ride, others prefer loose with a bit of over or understeer)

Perhaps the the current setup is just incomplete…. Or maybe the current setup is masking a larger problem…
Shivers
I believe I have also read that with a heavier iron block V-8 conversion some prefer a thicker front bar than OEM. I don’t want the car to ride rough but I just would like it to handle as well as possible for a streetcar that will be primarily driven (spiritedly) in the canyons. Thoughts?

Mine has a 19mm front and a 17mm rear and it is a four cylinder. It stays flat, might be a little stiff but 19mm front torsions and 140 lb rear springs may be guilty of some of that. Great for sheading canyon. Some extra weight added, like a V8 might mellow out the ride. I'd think that with the extra horsepower and top speed would be a good reason to have it a bit stiff. There are some dudes on here with some of the coolest V8 cars, maybe they will read this and let you know what has worked for them. Good luck with the build,
Superhawk996
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Apr 1 2022, 02:22 AM) *

The first question that should be asked is HOW DOES YOUR CAR HANDLE NOW? There’s clearly is not enough information or photos provided for anyone to make any kind of recommendation.

agree.gif

Buy the book “How to make your car handle”. Read it, understand it. Then tune it.

Everything depends on everything else.

Tire grip.
Tire sizes front vs rear
Weight distribution
Front torsion bars
Rear springs
Alignment
Dampers both front and rear.

Without a known baseline, current behavior, and a goal, all else is speculation.

Click to view attachment
MM1
Thank you, Gents!

I'll disconnect the rear until I can install a front sway bar.

Pat - good questions . . .I'll know more when the car run, shifts (hopefully), stops and drives . . .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.