Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Barn Find!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
oakdalecurtis
A friend of mine, a high school counselor, called last week and asked me to come over to his recently deceased father’s farm. He said he wanted to show me something that he knew very little about, but thought I might. He took me out to his dad’s barn. Inside the barn, I saw a dusty car cover over a small car. When we pulled back the cover, underneath was an original orange 1972 914/6. Yep, 6 spark plugs! My friend said he didn’t know much about the car as he was 6’5” tall and “small cars weren’t his thing.” He recalled that his dad had bought the 914 new, but his dad didn’t ever drive it again after he developed diabetes, resulting in his foot being amputated over 40 years ago.
The car had 9,645 miles on the odometer! That’s right, less than 10,000 miles! My friend said that his dad had asked him to start the car every 6 months and run it for 5 minutes, which he dutifully did. He said it always fired right up when he used the jumper cables from a farm battery cart. I asked if we could start it. My friend went and got the battery cart, connected it and the 6 fired right up, sounded beautiful and ran perfectly! Unfortunately, the original tires were flat so I couldn’t test drive it.
Upon closer inspection, the body appeared flawless with no signs of rust. I polished off a small area of paint and the orange was still glossy. It’s a pretty dry climate here in central California. The interior, other than being a little dusty, was unblemished and showed no signs of wear. Everything looked intact and original. I would have included pictures but I forgot my phone on the trip.
My friend volunteered that he had briefly looked at 914’s for sale online and noted them selling mostly between 5 and 15 thousand dollars. He thought this one might need some tires, polish and TLC and offered it to me for $7,500 cash, saying “just bring a trailer and make it go away”.
Should I tell him, or just keep quiet and buy it for $7,500?
rjames
You started the post by saying he’s a friend of yours. He called you because he thought you could help him figure out what he has and you agreed. You’re no friend to him if you don’t tell him what it’s worth. Sounds like he may be willing to give you a deal on it even after finding out what it’s worth. Don’t be a jerk.
ClayPerrine
Click to view attachment

If you really wanted to make this work, you should have said it was an M-471 car.......

sb914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 1 2022, 08:54 AM) *

Click to view attachment

If you really wanted to make this work, you should have said it was an M-471 car.......

agree.gif
mate914
QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Apr 1 2022, 11:42 AM) *

A friend of mine, a high school counselor, called last week and asked me to come over to his recently deceased father’s farm. He said he wanted to show me something that he knew very little about, but thought I might. He took me out to his dad’s barn. Inside the barn, I saw a dusty car cover over a small car. When we pulled back the cover, underneath was an original orange 1972 914/6. Yep, 6 spark plugs! My friend said he didn’t know much about the car as he was 6’5” tall and “small cars weren’t his thing.” He recalled that his dad had bought the 914 new, but his dad didn’t ever drive it again after he developed diabetes, resulting in his foot being amputated over 40 years ago.
The car had 9,645 miles on the odometer! That’s right, less than 10,000 miles! My friend said that his dad had asked him to start the car every 6 months and run it for 5 minutes, which he dutifully did. He said it always fired right up when he used the jumper cables from a farm battery cart. I asked if we could start it. My friend went and got the battery cart, connected it and the 6 fired right up, sounded beautiful and ran perfectly! Unfortunately, the original tires were flat so I couldn’t test drive it.
Upon closer inspection, the body appeared flawless with no signs of rust. I polished off a small area of paint and the orange was still glossy. It’s a pretty dry climate here in central California. The interior, other than being a little dusty, was unblemished and showed no signs of wear. Everything looked intact and original. I would have included pictures but I forgot my phone on the trip.
My friend volunteered that he had briefly looked at 914’s for sale online and noted them selling mostly between 5 and 15 thousand dollars. He thought this one might need some tires, polish and TLC and offered it to me for $7,500 cash, saying “just bring a trailer and make it go away”.
Should I tell him, or just keep quiet and buy it for $7,500?

Not funny. Because some people do this all the time.
Matt flag.gif
sb914
Click to view attachment here’s last year’s April fools lol-2.gif
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(rjames @ Apr 1 2022, 08:54 AM) *

You started the post by saying he’s a friend of yours. He called you because he thought you could help him figure out what he has and you agreed. You’re no friend to him if you don’t tell him what it’s worth. Sounds like he may be willing to give you a deal on it even after finding out what it’s worth. Don’t be a jerk.

My wife might tell you that it’s too late….
chair.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(rjames @ Apr 1 2022, 10:54 AM) *

Click to view attachment
rjames
Not the first time and likely won’t be the last. headbang.gif rolleyes.gif
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(rjames @ Apr 1 2022, 10:55 AM) *

It's quite all right James, happens to the best of us.....
beerchug.gif
nditiz1
"Reads through all the comments"

Wait so did you buy it for $7,500?????

chair.gif
fixer34
Did you ask him about the Ferrari Dino that was under the cover right next to it??

(I was going to say 916 or 914-8, but those are all accounted for..)
MM1
Funny stuff - I see a pattern here - good luck next year!
rjames
QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Apr 1 2022, 12:28 PM) *

QUOTE(rjames @ Apr 1 2022, 10:55 AM) *

It's quite all right James, happens to the best of us.....
beerchug.gif

I'll probably be the one that falls for it again next year. laugh.gif
robkammer
GOOD ONE! Too bad some folks get pissed when they get snookered. Ha! Best one I could come up with was telling our daughter that Mom was pregnant, at 64. Daughter replied that, uh Dad, we're pregnant too! Got me good!
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(robkammer @ Apr 1 2022, 03:34 PM) *

GOOD ONE! Too bad some folks get pissed when they get snookered. Ha! Best one I could come up with was telling our daughter that Mom was pregnant, at 64. Daughter replied that, uh Dad, we're pregnant too! Got me good!

Your daughter may have been serious......Grandpa!
Chris914n6
Every 6 months for 40 years... no way those carbs aren't clogged.

But nice try.

Happy 1st!
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Apr 1 2022, 03:02 PM) *

Every 6 months for 40 years... no way those carbs aren't clogged.

But nice try.

Happy 1st!

Hi Chris, he put fuel preserver in the tank…..
Maltese Falcon
Mr. T says it Best
marty914.jpg
Click to view attachment
oakdalecurtis
Here’s a few of my previous 4/1 posts, ONLY for those with a sense of humor. Some of the responses are gold….

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=352533&hl=

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=344425&hl=
DBF
Best April Fool's Joke of the day!
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(DBF @ Apr 1 2022, 09:26 PM) *

Best April Fool's Joke of the day!

Thank you DBF ! Did you read either of my previous 4/1 posts I linked? You’ll enjoy them, I promise…..

DBF
I did - now you have a year to come up with something to beat them all! (and for us to forget about them so we're caught off guard!)
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(DBF @ Apr 1 2022, 09:50 PM) *

I did - now you have a year to come up with something to beat them all! (and for us to forget about them so we're caught off guard!)

There’s always newbies….. beerchug.gif
mate914
Yea and try to make it funny. This last one you stared out by someone dying and foot amputee. Then you were going to rip off some you called a friend.
What is funny about that?

Matt flag.gif
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(mate914 @ Apr 2 2022, 07:37 AM) *

Yea and try to make it funny. This last one you stared out by someone dying and foot amputee. Then you were going to rip off some you called a friend.
What is funny about that?

Matt flag.gif

Hi Matt,
Thank God we all have different senses of humor. Some here thought it was a good laugh (thank you for getting it DBF). Sorry I missed your funny bone Matt.
Can we tell Lincoln jokes yet?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.