Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Impromptu get together
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ClayPerrine
Helping a friend with his 914. We are going to pick it up at his house at 9am. So we will be back her around 10:30 or so.

Come join the 914 faithful sitting around in lawn chairs heckling me while I fix webers. biggrin.gif

If you have never been here, text me for my address.. 817-360-4067.

Clay
MM1
Sure wish I could learn/participate in that . . .even on facetime/skype. Netflix’s got nothing on that Weber show.
aharder
Going to try to make it. Can only stay for a little while but, I can always use more Weber Knowledge biggrin.gif
Rob-O
Going to try to make it. Hopefully pick up an engine case while I’m there!
Betty
QUOTE(aharder @ Apr 1 2022, 07:33 PM) *

Going to try to make it. Can only stay for a little while but, I can always use more Weber Knowledge biggrin.gif

Allen, it was great to see you again. I had no idea your car was so freaking amazing! Truly beautiful. first.gif
aharder
Thanks Betty !!!

Looking forward to the trip this month !!

bandjoey
Wish I could but working from 11-7.
Literati914
So how’d the carb tuning go? (One of my engines has 40idf’s). I had hoped to get out to y’all’s house to help criticize biggrin.gif but just couldn’t make it happen.

ClayPerrine
David found out about us from the local PCA region, he is not a member here. I encouraged him to sign up.

The car is a 72 1.7 with 2 single barrel carbs on it. I think it is an EMPI copy of the factory bus carbs that were also used on the 74 1.8L 914 in Europe. The motor had been rebuilt by the previous owner, and had less than 5 minutes run time on it.

It has sat for years. The fuel filter was plugged solid. We replaced the filter, but unfortunately the Edelbrock pump had burned up from trying to suck through the blocked fuel filter. So another trip to FLAPS got a new fuel pump, and we were able to get fuel pressure to the carbs.

The left carb was dumping fuel out the vents, so we took it off and checked it out. Somewhere along the line someone had fixed the float after the tab broke off. The soldered the tab back on, and it ended up hitting the side of the float bowl, keeping the needle valve from closing. So now we have a fuel system that doesn't leak.

Found out the distributor drive was put in 90 degrees off, and we fixed that. There were also two crossed plug wires. It will now start and run, but the carbs still need synced, and the timing set.

We stopped because it sounds like the valves are too tight. When it was running, it sounded good, then suddenly started to misfire on one cylinder. The engine was warm, and the valves have to be adjusted when it is cold. So we are going to have a valve adjustment lesson in the near future.

Hopefully David will get signed up and join the madness here.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.