Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: low profile engine/transaxle jack
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BadToTheBown
Looks like I might need to pull me engine (Porsche flat six) and transaxle (901), I know I've seen some cool modified jacks to do this but cannot find them now, any and all help appreciated...
mgphoto
Check tangerine racing, RacerChris has a jack support plate that fits a standard jack saddle, I use it on my /4 works great not sure about the balance for a /6.
Geezer914
Don't use a jack. I do not like the idea of jacking the car up high, then balancing the engine and trans on a jack. Instead, remove the rear wheels supporting the body with 2 floor jacks, one on each side. Slide a moving dolly under the engine (Harbor Frieght), and lower the car so the engine just touches the dolly. Remove the bolts from the engine mount and the trans mount. Raise the body high enough to clear the engine and slide it out. Much safer than partially lying under the car trying to maneuver the engine balancing on a jack.
bkrantz
This is what I use. The extended pads on the vertical struts pull out to make the jack top lower.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lb-alumi...lift-63397.html
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Apr 2 2022, 04:09 PM) *

Don't use a jack. I do not like the idea of jacking the car up high, then balancing the engine and trans on a jack. Instead, remove the rear wheels supporting the body with 2 floor jacks, one on each side. Slide a moving dolly under the engine (Harbor Frieght), and lower the car so the engine just touches the dolly. Remove the bolts from the engine mount and the trans mount. Raise the body high enough to clear the engine and slide it out. Much safer than partially lying under the car trying to maneuver the engine balancing on a jack.

How do do lower the car with the dolly underneath the motor ? I’m trying to visualize this…
JamesM
QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Apr 2 2022, 03:09 PM) *

I do not like the idea of jacking the car up high, then balancing the engine and trans on a jack.

I dont either, that is why i use 3 jacks. 1 under the tranny and one on each side of the engine bar. Makes dropping the engine super easy.
DaveB
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Apr 2 2022, 12:02 PM) *

Check tangerine racing, RacerChris has a jack support plate that fits a standard jack saddle, I use it on my /4 works great not sure about the balance for a /6.

Agree on checking with Tangerine Racing to see if they support a 6. Their jack support bolts into my jack and locks into the trans support. Stable, no issues pulling the drivetrain with no assistance on a 4.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

DaveB
Geezer914
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Apr 3 2022, 05:50 PM) *

QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Apr 2 2022, 04:09 PM) *

How do do lower the car with the dolly underneath the motor ? I’m trying to visualize this…

You place one jack on each side of the car under the floor pan on the jacking donut. Lower or raise each side a little at a time.
r_towle
Last time I did this I used the rottisierre bracket that replaces the rear bumper, and I used my car lift to raise the rear up, slide dolly in, lower car
euro911
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Apr 3 2022, 06:33 PM) *

This is what I use. The extended pads on the vertical struts pull out to make the jack top lower.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lb-alumi...lift-63397.html
I have one of those too, a Craftsman - but it's been stuck under my 20' shipping container for a few years now laugh.gif

Click to view attachment

I'd have to empty everything out of the container to be able to lift it up with a cherry-picker to free the jack headbang.gif ... not something I'm looking forward to sad.gif

Click to view attachment

I haven't tried it to drop a drive train yet, but I have a couple of HF 500# capacity hydraulic tables (one in CA & one in AZ). I use them to lift motors and other heavy items up to my truck's tailgate level.

Click to view attachment

Still, one would need to lift the rear end of the car up to pull the drive train out confused24.gif
mgphoto
I use the EZ CAR Lift, that with the Tangerine Racing jack plate on a 2 1/2 ton floor jack, makes installing a /4 a single person job. I lifted the engine/trans off my movers dolly onto my TR jack rolled the power unit under the car, lowered the lift to meet the package, so just over 2 hours the engine/tranny is bolted in the car.
Because of the finer granularity of the jack shafts in the EZ Car lift, moving the lift up and down is quite a bit more exact as compared to moving a hydraulic or pneumatic lift.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.