Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Power at ignition switch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
redshift
I am wiring a push button starter switch, with a covered switch for the ignition.

I have done this before, I didn't use a relay on the start button, but I may have used a HD switch.

What are the lower limits? I have no manual.. smile.gif

M
GWN7
We need a tag day for Miles....send you pennies and empty pop bottles.....that way he can afford to buy one of those very expensive Haynes manuels off of ebay....

Zoom Zoom in the morning smile.gif
lapuwali
With fool injection, normal running current is going to be roughly:

4 amps for the injectors
4 amps for the fuel pump
4 amps for the ignition
2 amps for misc

so, about 14 amps. Minus things like lights, radio, etc. There are plenty of 20-25amp
toggle switches out there, even act Shack of Radio.

The starter solenoid draw is about 1 amp, which most momentary pushbuttons switches will handle quite easily.

For carbs, subtract the injectors and reduce the fuel pump to 2-3 amps, so you're under 10 amps.

I like having everything shut off with the ignition, however, so I'd wire up a 30 amp relay for everything except the headlights, which would get their own 30 amp relay. Have the main switch shut off the main relay, which also powers the headlight switch, so the lights go off with the main switch, but almost no current goes through the main switch.
jonwatts
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Aug 1 2005, 11:03 PM)
I like having everything shut off with the ignition, however, so I'd wire up a 30 amp relay for everything except the headlights, which would get their own 30 amp relay.   Have the main switch shut off the main relay, which also powers the headlight switch, so the lights go off with the main switch, but almost no current goes through the main switch.

headlights powered through a relay is also recommended for H4 or other high current lighting. I believe this will also extend the life of your headlight switch.
redshift
QUOTE (GWN7 @ Aug 2 2005, 01:41 AM)
We need  a tag day for Miles....send you pennies and empty pop bottles.....that way he can afford to buy one of those very expensive Haynes manuels off of ebay....

Zoom Zoom in the morning smile.gif

laugh.gif rolleyes.gif

Watch the road, you Crazy Canucklehead! <-- (that word hurts my mind) Be safe.

Thanks James. I am adding one of those big red buttons.

startOcar

Oh, I am going to leave all as is, and stub off of the existing stuff at the key, to add the start function, and when I start putting the stuff I yanked out back in, I am changing steering rigs, and putting a key in the center console area, that will take the place of the nutty Joe Dirt toggle switch for ignition.

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.