Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sail replacement options...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Sea Rooster
The PO of my car had the sails removed and the holes for the lower trim piece welded closed. I would like to keep the car as original as possible and want to add the sails back. I think it's a better look overall.

Click to view attachment

My dilemma...

I want to add the lower trim and the sails but not drill body for the moulding clips (G99959132601).

What are my options? Double sided tape, epoxy?

Thanks in advance!
branston
QUOTE(Sea Rooster @ Apr 4 2022, 07:54 PM) *

The PO of my car had the sails removed and the holes for the lower trim piece welded closed. I would like to keep the car as original as possible and want to add the sails back. I think it's a better look overall.

Click to view attachment

My dilemma...

I want to add the lower trim and the sails but not drill body for the moulding clips (G99959132601).

Thanks in advance!

I'd wager that 3M Double Sided Tape,VHB Heavy Duty would hold the trim in place, its what is used to hold badges and trim to modern cars
914Mels
QUOTE(Sea Rooster @ Apr 4 2022, 04:54 PM) *

Click to view attachment

My dilemma...

Thanks in advance!

That's a pretty thin piece of trim to trust the VHB to hold down. You won't have much surface area to grab hold of. I use it at work all the time and it can be tricky to work with in small sections. Have you considered using vinyl wrap for the sails? Possibly you could add a chrome tape stripe to mimic the trim.
IronHillRestorations
The trim goes over the vinyl. It would be very difficult to make a nice seam, let alone glue a skinny piece of trim that wasn’t designed to be glued on.
r_towle
If I recall correctly, the trim piece goes up under the rear sail panel trim and could be mechanically fastened there.
In the front I think it also gets tucked behind the b pillar trim???
Can’t remember the front detail.
Mikey914
These do get tucked in. I would think 2 sided tape may be an option.
Cairo94507
I had much the same thoughts on my car. In the end, we drilled the few holes you need and then touched them up before pushing the clips into place. Most of the nice 914's (looks like your car is nice) rarely get driven in down pours so you should be fine. beerchug.gif
Sea Rooster
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 5 2022, 07:58 AM) *

I had much the same thoughts on my car. In the end, we drilled the few holes you need and then touched them up before pushing the clips into place. Most of the nice 914's (looks like your car is nice) rarely get driven in down pours so you should be fine. beerchug.gif

@Cairo94507

How did you get the measurements for the holes and what size drill bit did you use?

JeffBowlsby
If you seek originality, do it right. Get the drill out.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Apr 5 2022, 10:30 AM) *

agree.gif

If the welds are blobbed, you can offset new holes slightly. Not like they have to be exactly in the same place. The clips literally slide along the trim piece. Important part (I would think) would be to ensure you clip close to ends and two along the middle.

Four, right? I think four holes. Sheese, I just did this and can't remember. blink.gif

Van B
little dab of urethane sealant like window weld will make those holes water tight when you put the screws in.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
put your eye down the side where the holes are supposed to be and see if you can see any blemishes where the four holes used to be. Second thing is to use the template and remark the holes. We do it often at our shop after replacing the metal sail panel portion of the quarter panel. Double faced tape is out of the question
Sea Rooster
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Apr 5 2022, 12:30 PM) *

@JeffBowlsby

Measurements please?
Sea Rooster
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Apr 5 2022, 02:17 PM) *

put your eye down the side where the holes are supposed to be and see if you can see any blemishes where the four holes used to be. Second thing is to use the template and remark the holes. We do it often at our shop after replacing the metal sail panel portion of the quarter panel. Double faced tape is out of the question

@dr914 @autoatlanta.com

The paint on the car is exceptional and you can't see any divots of where the old holes where.
burlybryan
The clips that hold the skinny lower sail trim in place slide in the track, so the only measurement you need is the horizontal line. This corresponds with the crease between body and sail. The rear trim keeper strip also has a clip that needs a hole drilled.

If it were my car and the paint/bodywork were that nice, I'd leave it. Remember, many of these cars came without sail trim. It was an optional accessory.
MCShack
QUOTE(burlybryan @ Apr 5 2022, 03:37 PM) *

If it were my car and the paint/bodywork were that nice, I'd leave it. Remember, many of these cars came without sail trim. It was an optional accessory.

agree.gif My first 914 came from the factory without vinyl sails in 1973. I never thought anything about it until I bought my 2nd one (used) that had worn the vinyl sails since it was new. It was several months before I saw bubbling coming up under the driver's side. Before I could fix it the other side did the same thing. I had them removed and painted to match. You see more cars with the vinyl sails than without and I got a lot of compliments from those people who liked the look as I did. It made my car more rare and was noticed more because of it. Then my next one had really nice vinyl sails and I left them as I did every car after that. The LE CanAm cars in '74 all left the factory without vinyl sails and I've not seen but one with them added but recently a Creamsicle on BaT had them painted Phoenix Red to match the painted trim and bumpers, and it did not look bad, not factory original, but unique for sure. I would not add them if it was my car, just my opinion, it's your car, but if you are going to do it, do it right.
Sea Rooster

Thank you for the measurements!
wonkipop
QUOTE(Van B @ Apr 5 2022, 12:04 PM) *

little dab of urethane sealant like window weld will make those holes water tight when you put the screws in.

i do a slight twist on that technique and use mastic sealant.
stays semi soft for years - doesn't cure off hard.
seems to be better in the long run for making sure rust does not start up in or around any drilled holes.
Cairo94507
All of the above re drilling the holes. If you look up inside the fender well you will likely see the filled holes. Take your time, tape over the exterior paint where the holes will go and using the actual trim with clips installed begin to orient the holes.

Before drilling into the body, drill into anything else, not on the car to test the clip fitment into the holes. They are a pretty easy clip to fit and once they pop into the hole they are tight.

Personally, I feel the sail panel vinyl and trim is as essential to the 914 appearance as the rear valance, which is often left off too. beerchug.gif
mate914
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Apr 5 2022, 05:30 PM) *

Thank you, I saved this also. Now metric to standard.....sarcasm
Matt flag.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.