Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT 917
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dion
Just sharing a trip made down to the Simeone museum in Philly last week. Dave ( @914dave ) rode shotgun down. Hit a nice brewpub on the way back. Good day out.
They had the front panel off and bodywork lifted. Only regret is, we couldn’t get close enough to that powerplant. Fascinating machine. Enjoy.
Cheers,Dion
Dion
Dion
Dion
Dion
I have to say , I love the tiny horn that seems to be in the front access area amongst the
cooling duct hoses. The trays at the rear for the “luggage” behind the rear wheels.
No spare present for the display. I know that usually resides over the transmission area.
They had to be “legal” road going autos. biggrin.gif
Bullethead
Terrific photos, Dion! The state of this car shows just how purposeful they were: there's nothing extra, a minimalist package with only the skin being fancy. Every racing Porsche is a blast see up close (especially of this era), crappy-looking welds, rough FG work and all.

THIS is how you want to view them. Thanks for sharing! smilie_pokal.gif
Front yard mechanic
Harbor freight jack stands bootyshake.gif now I don't feel so bad
NARP74
Love the classic wood shift knob
Dion
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Apr 5 2022, 01:08 PM) *

Harbor freight jack stands bootyshake.gif now I don't feel so bad

I said the same thing to Dave! lol-2.gif
Maltese Falcon
I've seen the Hippy 917 when it was up for sale at the old Symbolic Motors in BH, La Cienega + Wilshire Bl.
Early '90s and it could be had for way South of $1M .
The good old days biggrin.gif
number40_914.jpg
wonkipop
QUOTE(Dion @ Apr 5 2022, 02:58 PM) *

I have to say , I love the tiny horn that seems to be in the front access area amongst the
cooling duct hoses. The trays at the rear for the “luggage” behind the rear wheels.
No spare present for the display. I know that usually resides over the transmission area.

the horn is hilarious. imagine beeping that on the mulsane at 200+
" laugh.gif get out of my way"

have you ever seen the sales brochure for these things?
must have been part of the whole bs around them being a "road going" - "production" car. its a proper brochure. with nice pictures. interior. dashboard. engine. etc.
kind of like the ones for a regular porsche.
has the price too. 140,000 DM.

doing rough converting.
= $70,000 USD in 1970 or $490,000 USD in today's money.

there is two hippie cars isn't there.
this long tail.
and a short tail that lives in europe?

its my favourite color scheme. the pink pig wasn't bad either.
they had a sense of humor those germans despite their reputation for not being jokers.

@Dion thanks for the photos, really enjoyed the look.
bkrantz
Wow, that "long tail" is really long. pray.gif
emerygt350
Seeing how frail those things were internally just makes me want to buy this and do something with it... I mean, it is just a tube frame with fiber glass over it in the end...

Click to view attachment
brant
QUOTE(Dion @ Apr 5 2022, 02:58 PM) *

The horn was what came to mind the first time I scrolled through.

Ha. Road rules!!! For The FIA
Bullethead
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Apr 5 2022, 09:41 PM) *

Seeing how frail those things were internally just makes me want to buy this and do something with it... I mean, it is just a tube frame with fiber glass over it in the end...

Click to view attachment

Ummm, no. Just no. Not even close. There is no tube frame, only Beetle guts.
johnhora
I actually got to sit in a 917 years ago....if you think our 914 is very basic you just can't believe how totally basic these are...it was very scary to think of driving this thing when I saw where my feet were located....nothing but the pedals and a tube frame and fiberglass in front of them.

Click to view attachment
emerygt350
QUOTE(Bullethead @ Apr 5 2022, 09:25 PM) *

Click to view attachment

That's the idea, build a tube frame, remove the beetle guts.
wonkipop
.....and lose 75% of the fibreglass. beer.gif

Click to view attachment
mate914
QUOTE(Bullethead @ Apr 5 2022, 05:04 PM) *

Terrific photos, Dion! The state of this car shows just how purposeful they were: there's nothing extra, a minimalist package with only the skin being fancy. Every racing Porsche is a blast see up close (especially of this era), crappy-looking welds, rough FG work and all.

THIS is how you want to view them. Thanks for sharing! smilie_pokal.gif

I did not see any crappy welds on this 917. I did see fiberglass resin for smoothing door sill.
Did anyone notice the steering wheel is at strange angle forward?

Matt flag.gif
mate914
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Apr 6 2022, 08:28 AM) *

QUOTE(Bullethead @ Apr 5 2022, 09:25 PM) *

Click to view attachment

That's the idea, build a tube frame, remove the beetle guts.

Do it!
Matt flag.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.