Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hayward & Scott HE's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stevesc_us
With Ben no longer making his terrific HE's, I was wondering if anyone out there has purchased and installed these? I tried doing a search but couldn't find any discussions about this other HE source.

https://www.haywardandscott.com/porsche/914...exchangers.html
mb911
QUOTE(stevesc_us @ Apr 5 2022, 03:53 PM) *

With Ben no longer making his terrific HE's, I was wondering if anyone out there has purchased and installed these? I tried doing a search but couldn't find any discussions about this other HE source.

I will tell you that by fall I will have a new version available but will likely be boutique priced.
mepstein
I looked into them a couple years ago. The pics looked good but the reviews from a couple of the world members who purchased them were pretty bad.
stevesc_us
QUOTE(mb911 @ Apr 5 2022, 04:58 PM) *

I will tell you that by fall I will have a new version available but will likely be boutique priced.

Great to hear. I do like the more rounded edges of the heater boxes on the H&S source, but probably more difficult to machine?
mb911
QUOTE(stevesc_us @ Apr 5 2022, 04:25 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Apr 5 2022, 04:58 PM) *

Great to hear. I do like the more rounded edges of the heater boxes on the H&S source, but probably more difficult to machine?

Those are very very hand made H&S they are not really a production unit. I am not sure what shape mine will be yet I have a long road ahead of me. It's a start over type of thing.
Cairo94507
All I can say is if Ben makes them, you should buy them. Why mess around with unknown products that really have no history we can discern?

Ben's stuff is absolute top quality and he stands behind his work. Make the right call and buy the right parts so you don't have to fiddle with them for the rest of your ownership. Just my opinion based upon having his complete system in my car (love it) and having looked at and tried to communicate with Hayward & Scott before Ben's products were available. beerchug.gif
mepstein
Johny blackstain had a set and sold them due to fitment issues. Another member had a set and had to send them back (overseas) for repairs. I would wait for Ben’s next generation of headers and heat exchangers, even if it takes a while.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
best just to buy the factory duplicate Dansk we sell many and they fit great and work great with no fitment or clearance problems

QUOTE(stevesc_us @ Apr 5 2022, 04:53 PM) *

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Apr 6 2022, 11:05 AM) *

best just to buy the factory duplicate Dansk we sell many and they fit great and work great with no fitment or clearance problems

Can you get a set with 1.75 primaries that will fit a 964 motor?

biggrin.gif
Biggles
QUOTE(stevesc_us @ Apr 6 2022, 12:53 AM) *

Yes ive got them on my car. They're spot on. I did leave my car with them but they made them off the car so they must have made them on a jig. The only tweak was the flange to the silencer /muffler. I then got them ceramic coated.
Cairo94507
@Biggles - Come on now...show us some pics of your system, please. beerchug.gif
Biggles
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 7 2022, 01:26 PM) *

@Biggles - Come on now...show us some pics of your system, please. beerchug.gif

oww alright then. Here goes...
mb911
Those have to be a bear to install. No pass throughs at all for barrel nuts. They do look like they fit well though.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(mb911 @ Apr 7 2022, 02:16 PM) *

Those have to be a bear to install. No pass throughs at all for barrel nuts. They do look like they fit well though.

^ First thought I had also…though I wonder if those could be added by someone who knows what they're doing before ceramic coating?

Will say they sure look nice. Besides the factory design, and maybe even ahead of it, they look designed rather than functional. Not that I care all that much about that given what these do and where they're located. Wonder how these work vs factory vs the effectively NLA stainless HEs we all love. Wonder, also, if the tooling could be set up on this side of the pond for this market by someone looking to get back into the game.

The Dansk are uninteresting to me. I'd go no heat or electric heat before Dansk, and have been playing with that since the demise of the best option.
porschetub
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 7 2022, 04:35 AM) *

Johny blackstain had a set and sold them due to fitment issues. Another member had a set and had to send them back (overseas) for repairs. I would wait for Ben’s next generation of headers and heat exchangers, even if it takes a while.

Years ago I read an article in a UK Porsche magazine and a staff writer fitted a set of their headers on a 3.2 911,they gave good results on the dyno but were loud and the TIG welds were really rough , seemed they didn't have a mandrel bender as the whole thing was tacked together with a whole lot of small lengths and bends.
I have no idea if the quality has improved ? … I would certainly hope so.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.