Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: To sway or not to sway?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
1bad914
Do I install the rear sway bar or not. Car is a 1974 street driven 340 hp SBC conversion, I have the front front bar installed and have the rear that I could transfer from the parts car, but I have heard good and bad. How about some real world advice.
redshift
I like them for the street. Most people who do not like them 'seem' to be autoX/track drivers.

Maybe I don't drive hard enough to notice how bad they make the car handle..

rolleyes.gif

M
Joe Ricard
install the bar AND Limited Slip Diff.
No sense in roasting the inside rear tire on hard corning. or even straight line shit'n and Git'n with a V-8
ArtechnikA
IMO - if your exhaust and transmission are out and access is good, install the brackets and stuff.

i liked the rear bar in my car (stock /6) but some people don't.
this is why there is no hard-and-fast answer.
install it now while it's easy, and see if YOU like it in the driving you intend to do.
if you don't like it, take it off.
TravisNeff
If you have the parts, it is a no brainer - put it in. You can always disconnect or remove the bar if you don't like the feel.
John2kx
Scott at Renegade does not run a rear bar in his 470hp or so 914 and he runs a combination of street and track with his car. I'd install the brackets as already mentioned since you've got it apart and see if you like it or not.

Things do get a bit cramped with the v8 dual exhaust and you may find either the exhaust or sway bar a PITA to work around each other.

John
ArtechnikA
to amplify a little, it depends a lot on driving technique and preference.

those that like a rear bar -tend- to have fairly stiff front bars for good roll control and relatively soft rear springs to match the relatively soft front torsion bars. soft springing improves ride comfort and quality on the street or very bumpy tracks.

stiff front bar and soft rear springs leads to understeer.

if you have the power *and aren't afraid to use it* you can steer the back of the car with the throttle and get it to rotate. underpowered cars (such as my stock /6) can't break the rear tires free at will. drivers without a LOT of experience driving at the limit may feel uncomfortable overpowering the rear traction to get the car to turn.

the rear bar provides a way to balance the handling without going really stiff on rear springs or depending on power.

experienced drivers with lots of power are comfortable steering with the throttle. cars with less power don't have that option even if the driver is experienced and comfortable.

so lots of drivers go through a progression. at some point, when you have the power available and aren't afraid to apex early and use the throttle to rotate the car, the rear bar will probably be slowing you down, especially with an open diff.
John
In my opinion, I would install the rear bar for street use.

Britain Smith
Install the rear bar and upgrade the front bar to be adjustable. You can dial it all in and never look back.

-Britain
1bad914
It's going in tonight. I have all the parts for the new intall I just need to drag the parts car in and take an air wrench to the old one to get it off. smash.gif I love the sound of an air wrench firing up! wub.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.