Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Factory Combo Gauge Wiring
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dlee6204
I'm curious how the factory wired up the combo gauge in the dash. These were an option for cars without the center console... how did the factory wire the temperature gauge up? Was it a different body harness? Was there an supplemental harness that took the temperature gauge wire(s) from the center tunnel up to the gauge?

Click to view attachment
barefoot
For my 76, the necessary wires were there in the under dash harness.
I have the same combo gauge as you show.
BTW, the un-used orange warning lamp is actually for instrument lighting and not for any warning function
ndfrigi
following! I will be using the same for my 74.
Thanks for starting this thread!
JeffBowlsby
For the combo gauge with the pil temp gauage in the dash, here is a factory cable from the center console floor area on the 73-76 cars. PN 914.612.155.10. I have a factory orignal cable to reference to making this cable for you with t correctcolor coded wire if you need one. Not expensive.
dlee6204
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Apr 6 2022, 08:18 PM) *

For the combo gauge with the pil temp gauage in the dash, here is a factory cable from the center console floor area on the 73-76 cars. PN 914.612.155.10. I have a factory orignal cable to reference to making this cable for you with t correctcolor coded wire if you need one. Not expensive.

Jeff, I was hoping you would chime in. Thanks for the clarification. I'll likely be taking you up on that as well.
targa72e
I added this gauge on my 73. There is connector in the wiring harness near the battery that goes would have optional wiring to the temperature sender. The other end runs to about the shifter for the optional center console gauges. I had to add wiring from there to gauge. I Jumpered power and ground of nearby gauges for temp gauge.

john
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(barefoot @ Apr 6 2022, 04:39 PM) *

BTW, the un-used orange warning lamp is actually for instrument lighting and not for any warning function

The gauge face plate is the same one used on the 914-6. The un-used warning lamp was the sportomatic temperature warning lamp. It is not needed on a 914-4.

Clay
Cairo94507
A bit off-topic, but I believe the 914-6 combo gauge face is slightly different. Not a big deal; here is the stock gauge out of my Six:

Click to view attachment
PCH
What is the preferred method to black out the orange warning lamp?
FlacaProductions
It should be taped in place from the rear with either black or white tape that will not let light through. It does not have a light tube feeding it. Behind it is an angled reflector that has a tube w/bulb that acts as lighting for the full gauge. If you do open it up and go to pull the tape off, be very careful as i'll guarantee that the disc that is taped in is EXTREMELY brittle. It's also different from the red and green lenses so you can't just pop a red or green one in as a replacement.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.