Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: charcol filter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
Do you guys keep this stuff ibn your cars or do most of you remove this stuff?

Note: I am in VA and since my car is a 1972 I don't have emissions.

Jim
Joe Ricard
Right now it's out. Because I had to weld up some of the longs and door sill.
I now smell gas every now and then. Where before I never did.
zymurgist
Evaporative emission controls do nothing to reduce the performance of your car and prevent pollution, if ever so slightly considering that it's just one car among millions. Personally, I'd leave it connected.

We pulled Babydoll's gas tank on Sunday, and I'm planning on reconnecting the canister when the tank goes back in.
ClayPerrine
Does anyone have the charcoal canister and the long plastic lines that run down the LH long on a 73? If so, I would like to purchase them.

Root_Werks
Hey Clay, I have a canister you can have. Send me $10 and I'll ship it to you.

Yeah, you pretty much want to hook them up. I even go to the trouble of making sure they are hooked up correctly on my six conversion cars. The smell of gas says your car is a POS.

When you hook up the lines, the canister side with the big hose and little hose fittings is the in side (Air pressure from cooling fan), the single outlet side is the suction side hooking up to the air cleaner. wink.gif

It keeps a vacumm in the system, no fumes.
JmuRiz
I have mine hooked up, basically because it was on there when I got the car, and I think it looks better.
Jim,
If you need to see how one is hooked up you can come on over, well maybe going to see a car that isn't carbed would be best, but all the way back to the engine is stock-ish on mine...and I'm in Sterling too.
John
Right now it's out. Because I had to weld up some of the longs and door sill.
I now smell gas every now and then. Where before I never did.

I had that happen on the track car when we first "completed" it some 18 years ago.

What I found was that I had to reinstall the expansion chamber for the gas tank. That allows the fuel to be stored in the "expansion" tank instead of leaking out the breather in the filler neak.

We found that under hard cornering, that gas would drain out the breather. It happened more with a full tank, but would still happen with 1/2 tank or less in some cases.

After reinstalling the expansion tank, all has been well. After a run session, as the gas in the tank cools off, you can hear gurgling as the gas is drawn back into the fuel tank from the expansion tank.

As far as the charcoal can, I kept the one mounted in the front trunk in my street car as it "looks" like it belongs there. The tubing is routed back behind the rocker panel as it should, but mine ends there. I have eliminated the hoses past that point due to ignorance in my youth. They didn't hurt anything to leave them in place.

just my $0.02
dcruiksh914
QUOTE (Root_Werks @ Aug 2 2005, 06:23 AM)
Hey Clay, I have a canister you can have.  Send me $10 and I'll ship it to you.

Yeah, you pretty much want to hook them up.  I even go to the trouble of making sure they are hooked up correctly on my six conversion cars.  The smell of gas says your car is a POS.

When you hook up the lines, the canister side with the big hose and little hose fittings is the in side (Air pressure from cooling fan), the single outlet side is the suction side hooking up to the air cleaner.  ;)

It keeps a vacumm in the system, no fumes.

This raises a question I've yet to have answered...

On a 6 conversion, where do you run the lines for the canister -- that is, what do I attach them to in the engine compartment? Can you make a simple diagram?

I keep meaning to solve this, but the gas fumes make me forget that I have the problem in the first place drooley.gif

Cap'n Krusty
One of the 12mm hoses goes to the shroud on the sixer, just behind the alternator. Nipple right there. The other hose goes to the intake tract: the air cleaner on the earlier cars, and the airbox on the CIS cars. Prolly the same on the 3.2s, as well. No vacuum, just air flow. The Cap'n
jgara962
I made an air intake that mounts to the RH side of the rain tray and connects to the snorkel. The cannister was in the way, so I took mine out. I looped or capped the connections, no gas odors yet. I figure a 30 yr. old charcoal cannister can't be doing that much anyway. My daily driver is a low emission vehicle, so I figure it's a push on adding pollution biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.