Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Fuel Tank
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Van B
Question for those who have done a fuel system refresh and replaced the fuel tank.

Where can I get the gaskets for 12 and 14, and why is there no gasket listed for the sending unit?
I’ve read while searching here that the two bottom gaskets were some kind of fiber. But I can find them from our usual suppliers. Are we using crush washers instead?

#12 - 914 201 147 10
#14 - 311 201 235 A

And I don’t see a gasket listed for the sending unit, but I know there has to be one, right?
porschetub
QUOTE(Van B @ Apr 8 2022, 11:57 AM) *

Question for those who have done a fuel system refresh and replaced the fuel tank.

Where can I get the gaskets for 12 and 14, and why is there no gasket listed for the sending unit?
I’ve read while searching here that the two bottom gaskets were some kind of fiber. But I can find them from our usual suppliers. Are we using crush washers instead?

#12 - 914 201 147 10
#14 - 311 201 235 A

And I don’t see a gasket listed for the sending unit, but I know there has to be one, right?

Pretty sure 914rubber have all you need,cheers.
Dion
There was a member here that had some stashed . He sold me a few original type a few years back. @Rotary’14 I believe was his signature.
Good luck.
Van B
QUOTE(porschetub @ Apr 7 2022, 07:45 PM) *

#12 - 914 201 147 10
#14 - 311 201 235 A

Negative. Not everything. You can trust me to do at least that level of investigation before I post up here.
Jamie
QUOTE(Van B @ Apr 7 2022, 04:18 PM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ Apr 7 2022, 07:45 PM) *

#12 - 914 201 147 10
#14 - 311 201 235 A

Negative. Not everything. You can trust me to at least that level of investigation before I post up here.

I had nothing but trouble when trying to install a new internal fuel sock filter(part#11) and instead placed a flow filter between tank and pump when I moved the pump to the front. I made replacement fiber washers from gasket material and soft aluminum and they have worked fine since.
wonkipop
mike my mechanic had my whole fuel tank apart 2 years ago.

i wasn't there when he did it. just helped him pull it and put it back in.
i can ask him what we did.
but i know it was completely apart.

Van B
@Jamie Good to know. I’m hoping someone makes those gaskets ask I don’t have to fabricate something.

@wonkipop Do you know if the sending unit has a gasket?
Jamie
QUOTE(Van B @ Apr 7 2022, 04:29 PM) *

@Jamie Good to know. I’m hoping someone makes those gaskets ask I don’t have to fabricate something.

As I recall the sending unit does have a gasket, and I believe I made a new one with that same gasket material. It is a roll of paper-like material saturated with a moisture proof substance that I've had in the parts stash for many many years. Looks like it is part #17 on the blow-up.
wonkipop
QUOTE(Van B @ Apr 7 2022, 06:29 PM) *

i rang mike.

i have a custom fuel outlet set up because its right hand drive.
the whole bottom of the tank gets "brutalised" so it does not really have that set up.

the sender he was pretty sure was a 911 part and he just got it from porsche here.
same as a 911? it wasn't anything special or i would have heard about it for sure and been asked to try and freight one in. but there is a gasket. he remembers.
he thought it was cork. but it was 2 years ago and theres been a few cars through his head since then.
Van B
I’ll look it up then. There’s just no depiction at all on our parts manual.

If that works out then I just need to source the lower gaskets.
Van B
Thanks @wonkipop and to Mike.
I found a PN for the fuel sending unit 477.919.133
Now I just need a source/solution for the lower gaskets.
wonkipop
QUOTE(Van B @ Apr 7 2022, 06:56 PM) *

I’ll look it up then. There’s just no depiction at all on our parts manual.

If that works out then I just need to source the lower gaskets.

i had a look at the parts manual.
there is a trick in there.

it refers the sender to the electrical section.
go there.
its page illustration 903-05. way further on in manual.

its part 28 in illustration.
part # 477 919 133.
it can't be anything special because we managed to get one easily here.
and there are no special 914 parts in aus.

EDIT.
cancel that. i see you already found it.
Van B
What a random illustration! I didn’t find it that way. I googled “911 fuel sending unit gasket” and it came up.
wonkipop
QUOTE(Van B @ Apr 7 2022, 07:18 PM) *

What a random illustration! I didn’t find it that way. I googled “911 fuel sending unit gasket” and it came up.

and there you go. a 911 part. which is why mike did not think it was anything special and just ordered one up from the locals. probably cost $500.00. laugh.gif

the reference is there in the fuel tank illustration page.
it says in part listings that follow - refer to group such and such electrical section.
then you have to go trawling through all the electrical junk, like alternators etc where they break down the parts further. buggers just omitted it from fuel tank illustration and drew in a fuel sender only.
Van B
It makes sense now, but it said 9/03/05 and that looks like a calendar date to me.
wonkipop
QUOTE(Van B @ Apr 7 2022, 07:37 PM) *

It makes sense now, but it said 9/03/05 and that looks like a calendar date to me.

i got a migraine out of that parts manual a couple of years ago until i figured out their weird referencing systems. to make matters worse i had a european parts manual to start with. had the illustrations for L jet fuel injection but the parts listing just stopped dead and didn't go into them. !!!! drove me nuts until i found a USA version on the internet somewhere. quirk is the USA version does not list any of the parts for the twin carb AN version of the 1.8. but i do have all that with the euro version cataloque i still have filed.
Craigers17
As you well know, I'm much more of a "hack" than you are, but like others have said, I made my own out of gasket material that I bought at local FLAPS.

I used a standard hole punch and some electrician's scissors. If memory serves, I think I actually put them in the 12 and 14 locations, as well as between 9 & 15 and 10 & 13, if that's possible.....sorry it's been a while.

I used Fel-Pro part # 3157, which I could only find in a 26"x10"x1/32" sheet. It specifically says on the package it's for sealing oil, water, or gasoline. I basically have the entire roll left that I could send you if you want, but it's probably just as easy to go pick some up if you end up going this route. By the way, it worked great...no leaks.
Van B
Hey Craig!
That's great info. Sounds like I'll be making a set as well.

I see those PNs listed on AA, but they are clearly copper crush washers in the picture and not the OE fiber.

I know it's been a while, but I'm sure your choice of felpro was because copper crush washers was not a suitable choice.
Olympic 914
QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Apr 8 2022, 05:44 AM) *

As you well know, I'm much more of a "hack" than you are, but like others have said, I made my own out of gasket material that I bought at local FLAPS.

I used a standard hole punch and some electrician's scissors. If memory serves, I think I actually put them in the 12 and 14 locations, as well as between 9 & 15 and 10 & 13, if that's possible.....sorry it's been a while.

I used Fel-Pro part # 3157, which I could only find in a 26"x10"x1/32" sheet. It specifically says on the package it's for sealing oil, water, or gasoline. I basically have the entire roll left that I could send you if you want, but it's probably just as easy to go pick some up if you end up going this route. By the way, it worked great...no leaks.

Did the same.

Used a punch for center hole and scissors to cut the outside dia.

No leaks so far. 2 yrs.
Mikey914
I did pick up a bunch of the washers from Capt Crusty, I'll see if I can find them.
Mark
Craigers17
Van,

My decision was based mostly upon discussions in this thread. I have a lot of respect for Bruce's opinions in particular. It was my interpretation that this was a solid route to go rather than using copper. Ultimately it looks like he and others went the AN fitting route, but this looked like an acceptable alternative route to me.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=...bHsUQjcd_2phYI-
914-Kazoo
I'm in the process of this same update. Found parts a AA, they look to be copper crush washers.

R111209147A
FUEL SCREEN STRAINER 914

R91420114710
FUEL GAS TANK STRAINER SEAL LARGE 914
$1.65

R311201235A
FUEL GAS TANK STRAINER SEAL SMALL 914
$1.15
Van B
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 8 2022, 08:06 AM) *

I did pick up a bunch of the washers from Capt Crusty, I'll see if I can find them.
Mark

@Mikey914 Thank you! That would be fantastic if you could find them *cough* and maybe make some replacements? *cough* *cough* beerchug.gif
Van B
QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Apr 8 2022, 08:10 AM) *

Van,

My decision was based mostly upon discussions in this thread. I have a lot of respect for Bruce's opinions in particular. It was my interpretation that this was a solid route to go rather than using copper. Ultimately it looks like he and others went the AN fitting route, but this looked like an acceptable alternative route to me.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=...bHsUQjcd_2phYI-

I'd actually prefer a modern nylon fuel line setup with quick connects and everything. But I think that may be a bridge too far given that every component is designed for clamps and rubber hoses.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Van B @ Apr 8 2022, 10:18 AM) *

I'd actually prefer a modern nylon fuel line setup with quick connects and everything. But I think that may be a bridge too far given that every component is designed for clamps and rubber hoses.

Used to use something like this on the race bike with rubber lines and clamps.

I don't think there is an advantage there for road use, but maybe this suits your needs?

https://www.amazon.com/Hotwin-Connect-Relea...la-759629580703

Just a warning: These el-cheapo disconnects don't seal both ends. I had set mine up so motorcycle gas tank could be easily pulled without leaking but the other end (to the carb) would drain fuel out of the line since that end of the disconnect didn't seal. What do you expect for $10? There are higher end quick disconnects that seal both ends (and are metal) out there but my recollection is they were more like $100-$200/fitting back in the day.

In 914 application, you would want tank sealed, but then you would be trying to lift the fuel tank out of the chassis and it would weigh a whole lot more than 3.5 gallon motorcycle tank which had 100% ease of access to lift the tank confused24.gif
Van B
So you club raced the Superhawk? What a great bike that was... oh how Honda lost its way.

But yeah, my idea was that once I sourced all the pieces for a new tank, I would look at doing a nylon fuel line setup rather than the stainless. Don't get me wrong, I like the stainless itself... I'm just not a fan of all the rubber hose and clamps everywhere. My 996 (Porsche) has nylon fuel lines and quick connects everywhere and it has worked great and survived quite well.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Van B @ Apr 8 2022, 10:59 AM) *

So you club raced the Superhawk?

No, club raced a CBR 600. Superhawk 996 has seen a few track days but is my road-hooligan bike (lots o' torque for wheelies happy11.gif ) and a few road trips on it down to Tail of the Dragon.

Good Day:
Click to view attachment

Not so good day but still better than work av-943.gif

Click to view attachment

sorry for Hijack but I love motorcycles too! hijacked.gif
jrmdir
Back to the fiber washer question. While I was looking for a solution last year, I happened to glance to my left while waiting in line at Harbor Freight and this kit caught my eye. Turns out it contained exactly two of the correct size red washers for my tank fittings. I added a light coat of fuel proof sealant and have never had an issue. Cost less than $4. But then, I'm stuck with 52 other washers smile.gif

Ron

Click to view attachment
Van B
@jrmdir
Which two washers were they, I could use them as a template with the gasket material Craig mentioned earlier in the thread.

Oh and @Superhawk996 , I raced superbikes for a long long time. I will be able to respond in kind to your good ol days club racing photos, don't you worry lol!
Van B
@Superhawk996 here you go, early days and the late days.
MM1
Last week I ordered the fuel sock from 914 Rubber which they told me came with a copper washer. They did not have the other (different size) copper washer for the other line so I ordered both of them from AA.

Unfortunately that shipment is running late from FedEx so hopefully I will receive it tomorrow evening. I mentioned the copper washers to Bruce and he suggested that I anneal them.

If they leak I’ll let you know.
Superhawk996
Judging by the slick, I'd say you're far more serious and faster than I ever was even on the good days. laugh.gif

@Van B
Van B
I was fast for a club racer, but too big to ever make a go at the national level. At my skinniest I was still 6’1” and 185lbs… without gear.
So, I joined the Air Force to fly and now I fly a desk in DC lol… poke.gif

BTW, you are the only one who can get my name to mention correctly!
Mikey914
Power went out today while I was searching my stash. I'll check again,
Monday.
-Mark
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Van B @ Apr 8 2022, 06:51 PM) *

I was still 6’1” and 185lbs…

I used to struggle with the decisions . . . lose 20 lbs or buy lighter parts? New tires for every race or risk being slower and/or crash damage? From prior picture, you can see I was a slow learner. laugh.gif

@Van B -- for anyone that doesn't know the secret . . . use quotes " . . . " due to the space in there. No quotes needed if all one word. I can't remember who told me the secret handshake so a tip of the glasses to whomever it was shades.gif
Van B
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 8 2022, 07:09 PM) *

Power went out today while I was searching my stash. I'll check again,
Monday.
-Mark

Thank you kind Sir!

Hope you get power back!
Van B
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Apr 8 2022, 07:26 PM) *

I used to struggle with the decisions . . . lose 20 lbs or buy lighter parts? New tires for every race or risk being slower and/or crash damage? From prior picture, you can see I was a slow learner. laugh.gif

@Van B -- for anyone that doesn't know the secret . . . use quotes " . . . " due to the space in there. No quotes needed if all one word. I can't remember who told me the secret handshake so a tip of the glasses to whomever it was shades.gif

Oh I destroyed more than a few. That R6 in the first picture was on it’s second frame and I had only been promoted to expert the year before lol…
Van B
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Apr 8 2022, 07:26 PM) *

I just tried the quotes and it didn’t work. I put them around the whole thing and then @“Jim C”
Steve
I converted my tank to AN6 and used an AN6 barbed elbow. Also comes with the rubber bushing. I was also still able to use metal sock with it.
https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/3288.htm
Van B
So, o-ring to seal the fitting and then the AN barb fitting to transition to rubber hoses?
Steve
QUOTE(Van B @ Apr 10 2022, 10:13 AM) *

So, o-ring to seal the fitting and then the AN barb fitting to transition to rubber hoses?

Yes, I bought 90 degree barb fittings. This helped to keep the rubber hoses from getting kinked.
DC_neun_vierzehn
QUOTE(Van B @ Apr 7 2022, 04:57 PM) *

#12 - 914 201 147 10
#14 - 311 201 235 A

@Van_B what did you end up doing? Getting ready to drop my tank. Would love to hear about your learnings and successes during this process.
Van B
I've been living in the engine bay the last couple months, unfortunately. So, I don't have any final reports, but I decided to go with @Steve 's recommendation. I think that will give the cleanest layout since I plan to install a two-port pump and it into the frunk.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.