Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission angle drive plug
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vitamin914
Before I commit to a GPS driven speedometer, I want to find sources for everything I will need. The one thing I can't seem to find is source for a plug to fill the hole where the angle drive lives.

Anyone know where to get one?

Click to view attachment
bdstone914
QUOTE(vitamin914 @ Apr 8 2022, 05:57 AM) *

Before I commit to a GPS driven speedometer, I want to find sources for everything I will need. The one thing I can't seem to find is source for a plug to fill the hole where the angle drive lives.

Click to view attachment

I would tap the hole in the old bushing for 10mm and install a threaded plug in it.
You might find a Welch or freeze plug that size.
GregAmy
Subscribing.

I bought one for my race car from someone on this forum, but I canot remember who. I'd lke another one for the street car (going to a GPS speedo).

"Call me"...?
vitamin914
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Apr 8 2022, 12:43 PM) *

Subscribing.

I bought one for my race car from someone on this forum, but I canot remember who. I'd lke another one for the street car (going to a GPS speedo).

"Call me"...?

I found the picture from member @okieflyr selling one in 2010. He said it was made by a place called Air-cooled Racing. Googled that with no luck.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=108837

Not complicated to turn one on a lathe, just no idea what the dimensions should be, and if someone already makes it...
914Mels
QUOTE(vitamin914 @ Apr 8 2022, 04:57 AM) *

Click to view attachment

This may seem obvious but why not just leave the drive in the case?
brant
We gutted a stock angle drive
then TIG welded it closed in the center where it allows oil to flow to the cable in stock configuration

then put a plastic plug into it for appearances

vitamin914
QUOTE(914Mels @ Apr 8 2022, 03:40 PM) *

QUOTE(vitamin914 @ Apr 8 2022, 04:57 AM) *

Click to view attachment

This may seem obvious but why not just leave the drive in the case?

You could, but that leaves a rotating part exposed to kicked up dirt and water - I don't want that finding its way into a spinning part. Transmission oil may also leak out. Normally the speedometer cable's outer sheath protects all that from happening.

I guess another reason is to have less stuff needlessly spinning.

If no one makes a plug anymore, maybe plugging the end of 914Rubber's speedometer drive gear guide bushing kit would be a solution - albeit a pricey plug for $70. Maybe Mark @mikey914 can sell a partially finished bushing without the centre bored out?
Mikey914
I have 50-60 on my shelf for now so I don;t plan to set up and make some for awhile.

The solution is probably simpler. If you remove the gear drive you may be able to find a bolt and sealing washer. Or if you wanted to leave it in, you could put the bolt in a vice and drill out a clearance for the shaft in the bolt. The part we make is just like OEM, except with the extra o- biggrin.gif ring to work as an additional seal and keep it from dripping on your garage floor.
vitamin914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 8 2022, 07:13 PM) *

I have 50-60 on my shelf for now so I don;t plan to set up and make some for awhile.

The solution is probably simpler. If you remove the gear drive you may be able to find a bolt and sealing washer. Or if you wanted to leave it in, you could put the bolt in a vice and drill out a clearance for the shaft in the bolt. The part we make is just like OEM, except with the extra o- biggrin.gif ring to work as an additional seal and keep it from dripping on your garage floor.

Thanks Mark. Always worth asking - sometimes you catch a part on a reorder cycle.

A bit more luck looking for Aircooled Racing. I found a facebook page for them by adding more search terms to google...

https://www.facebook.com/Aircooled-Racing-118949581472047/

They are in PA and @okieflyr is from PA according to the bio... good chances this is the place. Might be worth a call on Monday to see if they have any plugs available. If not I may go with Mark's suggestion and find a way to seal the hole in his part. I don't have a used bushing lying around, buying a used one is just as expensive as a new one.
okieflyr
QUOTE(vitamin914 @ Apr 9 2022, 08:15 AM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 8 2022, 07:13 PM) *

Thanks Mark. Always worth asking - sometimes you catch a part on a reorder cycle.

A bit more luck looking for Aircooled Racing. I found a facebook page for them by adding more search terms to google...

https://www.facebook.com/Aircooled-Racing-118949581472047/

They are in PA and @okieflyr is from PA according to the bio... good chances this is the place. Might be worth a call on Monday to see if they have any plugs available. If not I may go with Mark's suggestion and find a way to seal the hole in his part. I don't have a used bushing lying around, buying a used one is just as expensive as a new one.

I see that you've figured out the source correctly. He's a small shop with many distractions, but a good guy.
His website didn't seem to be working today for me, but you found him.
Good luck.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.