Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weird electrical issue (parking light on passenger side)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DC_neun_vierzehn
I'm hoping someone can help me figure what might be going on here ...

I've owned the 914 for about 10 months ('73 2.0). I don't do much night driving, but I recently noticed that the front passenger side parking light (not the side marker, but the parking light housed in the turn signal unit) will go out while I'm driving.

As I was pulling up behind a car the other evening, I could see in the reflection of their car that the parking light went out when I hit my brake pedal and stay off even when I took my foot off of the brake and started accelerating again.

However, if I put my turn signal on to turn right that would kick the parking light back on ... until I hit the brake again.

What in the heck is going on here? Obviously, the brake light is tripping the parking light to go off, but when I put the turn signal on for that side it jumps the parking light to light up again.

All other lamps appear to be functioning properly and no other electrical issues that I have noticed.
friethmiller
Not sure exactly. I wonder if it is just a bad ground or bad contact with the bulb. Inspect/Clean the ground on the back side of the light bucket in the Frunk. Wiggle the bulb for that light in the socket. See if it flickers when you do.
DC_neun_vierzehn
QUOTE(friethmiller @ Apr 8 2022, 12:44 PM) *

Not sure exactly. I wonder if it is just a bad ground or bad contact with the bulb. Inspect/Clean the ground on the back side of the light bucket in the Frunk. Wiggle the bulb for that light in the socket. See if it flickers when you do.

How do I inspect the backside of the bucket? I've never removed one before.
friethmiller
There are grounds for each light on the backside of each light bucket (see blue arrow). Clean that bad boy up. Make sure there is good metal on metal contact.

Click to view attachment
DC_neun_vierzehn
QUOTE(friethmiller @ Apr 8 2022, 07:11 PM) *

There are grounds for each light on the backside of each light bucket (see blue arrow). Clean that bad boy up. Make sure there is good metal on metal contact.

Click to view attachment

Thank you. Will check it this afternoon.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.