Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My wife thinks 914's are weird because....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Sea Rooster

My wife noticed the coat hooks in my 914 today.

"What can you hang in this car?"

She still can't get over it....

How about yours?
bkrantz
Back around 1990, she said "Wow, this is so much bigger than the X1/9."

1992: "No, we can't put a baby seat in a 914 (with 2 adults)."

2000: "No, you can't get a 914--the garage is full."

2010: "You have a Boxster. Why would you want a 914?"

2016: "No, you can't get a 914--the garage is full."

2019; "OK, you can get a 914, but it won't fit in the garage." (It does.)

2022: "No, we can't drive cross country in the 914." (We'll see.)
mobymutt
She can only drive it in reverse.
Betty
QUOTE(Sea Rooster @ Apr 8 2022, 07:17 PM) *

How about yours?

I have ALWAYS wanted to get some Barbie coat hangers and hang them from the coat hooks in a 914! happy11.gif
Cairo94507
When my Six came home and she saw it parked in the garage next to her Macan she called it a "clown car" because it was so small. Then I took her for a nice ride and she changed her mind. She now really likes the car but still has not driven it. That reminds me, time to bump my insurance valuation up....
StarBear
I had it way before her. We came as a package deal.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(StarBear @ Apr 9 2022, 07:31 AM) *

I was lucky. Betty had a 914 when I met her. So this whole thing is all her fault. All of the 914 parts in the garage, all 3 of the 914s, all the time spent in the garage working on them, its all her fault.

happy11.gif
Shivers
I figure as long as I stay weirder than the car, she'll never notice...No brainer. smile.gif
930cabman
+1 for all the positive humor, my wife has yet to experience the wonders of cruising in one of our POS's
StarBear
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 9 2022, 08:40 AM) *

QUOTE(StarBear @ Apr 9 2022, 07:31 AM) *

I was lucky. Betty had a 914 when I met her. So this whole thing is all her fault. All of the 914 parts in the garage, all 3 of the 914s, all the time spent in the garage working on them, its all her fault.

happy11.gif

lol-2.gif
mlindner
Over thirty years ago my wife and I drove to Porsche events from Colorado to Main and every thing in-between in our little red 914-4 1.8. Now after a 29 year nap, my wife got the first ride last spring (April, 30 deg.) with no windshield or trunk lid in our trans formed 914-6 GT Tribute. Both are keepers. MarkClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
IronHillRestorations
@mlindner Your car looks great Mark! first.gif
76-914
QUOTE(mlindner @ Apr 9 2022, 11:03 AM) *

Over thirty years ago my wife and I drove to Porsche events from Colorado to Main and every thing in-between in our little red 914-4 1.8. Now after a 29 nap, my wife got the first ride last spring (April, 30 deg.) with no windshield or trunk lid in our trans formed 914-6 GT Tribute. Both are keepers. MarkClick to view attachment Click to view attachment

Great story! beerchug.gif
Root_Werks
QUOTE(StarBear @ Apr 9 2022, 05:31 AM) *

Kinda similar with me. Had 914's before my wife and I started dating. She new I came with a 914.

biggrin.gif

Fast forward 20 years and I've bought and sold a number of them. Super glad she doesn't mind our quirky little cars. Get's a kick out of hanging out with other 914-nuts as well.

I got lucky that way.
wonkipop
QUOTE(Betty @ Apr 8 2022, 09:06 PM) *

QUOTE(Sea Rooster @ Apr 8 2022, 07:17 PM) *

How about yours?

I have ALWAYS wanted to get some Barbie coat hangers and hang them from the coat hooks in a 914! happy11.gif

you can only do that if you have a pink 914? beerchug.gif
you will have to get some ken coat hangers?
rick 918-S
I bought my Alien as a project on a whim. Thought well it's a Porsche and it's cheap. Owned a body shop at the time and never owned or knew anyone that had a Porsche of any kind. I sold the business and move the car to a friend's shop. I ended up finishing the car with the 1.7 over several late night workouts. I finished the car and drove it home just as Sandy was leaving for work. She never really saw the car. It was at my shop. She took one look at the car and said "What are you going to do with that?!" I said drive it. She said " that's nothing but a pick up car. The only thing that's good for is picking up Chick's." I said Want to go for a ride Babe? She walked off and went to work. She hated the car like the other woman. It took several years before she warmed up to the car.
gandalf_025
Because when she was 15 years old, in the fall of 1972
I kept driving back to Lawrence Mass. to sit across the street
from Park Porsche and look at a tangerine 914-6 that had
been traded in ….
I had already decided not to buy the car and just drove there
to see it gone and “chapter closed”.
She didn’t get what the big deal was about that little red car..

It took till April 25th 1973 for me to buy it..

We got married in 1978 and she bought her first 911 that year.
A 1970 T Targa.. She has owned a 911 since..
Latest one is a black 1986 Carrera..
Guess she figured out what the big deal was..??
infraredcalvin
Had mine when we were dating, made her drive it once, she cried, hated it and said never again…
vitamin914
My wife thinks the 914 is cute... She thinks I'm weird screwy.gif and wants to trade me in... confused24.gif
fixer34
Had mine for almost 3 years before dating my future wife. 10 weeks after our first date, we went on a 900+ mile (one way-straight thru) trip in it. We still liked each other after that, so I proposed and she accepted.
She knew how to drive a stick and I let her take it out on her own a few times early on. Can't do it any more though, too hard for her to get in and out.
Number 41 is coming up tomorrow and I still have both of them.
Maltese Falcon
...in 1978, I picked her up for a dinner date in it >>we drove over to a Venice Beach cafe. I had just converted the 914 to 2.7 6cyl power, straight headers, open top (it was a warm night ) and it was LOUD biggrin.gif
Me, I was in my element...Her trying to control her hair and have a conversation biggrin.gif
Must have thought "This guy in this loud car is Weird"
Today when we talk about that night long ago...she says that she really couldn't hear a word I was saying; but many more club races, Laguna Seca trips, rallys, car shows, and helping me out in the garage; it all worked out wub.gif driving.gif driving-girl.gif
marty914.jpg

930cabman
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Apr 10 2022, 06:48 PM) *

...in 1978, I picked her up for a dinner date in it >>we drove over to a Venice Beach cafe. I had just converted the 914 to 2.7 6cyl power, straight headers, open top (it was a warm night ) and it was LOUD biggrin.gif
Me, I was in my element...Her trying to control her hair and have a conversation biggrin.gif
Must have thought "This guy in this loud car is Weird"
Today when we talk about that night long ago...she says that she really couldn't hear a word I was saying; but many more club races, Laguna Seca trips, rallys, car shows, and helping me out in the garage; it all worked out wub.gif driving.gif driving-girl.gif
marty914.jpg

+1, great story, after 40+ years she still allows this nonsense.
mlindner
Sea Rooster, see what you started...
Dredwin
She didn't know I wanted a motorcycle and let me buy one, only to crash it on Fathers day when she was pregnant with our 2nd child. Fast forward nearly 2 decades, I am supposed to find a car for this child and I sees I am looking at 914s (My plan was to give my kid my old car and take the 914). With the help of this community, I was able to find one locally. A few years later, a 'finished' one was posted here and she let me buy that one...with the plan to sell the 1st one. That was 6 years ago and I still haven't sold the first one.

I consider myself the luckiest person in the world to have such a loving and patient wife that has fallen in love with 914s. Although, we just bought a Tesla so the 914s have definitely taken a hit on the 'favorite car' list.
poorsche914
My wife of 30 years never rode in any of my 914s until a trip to Amelia Island in 2020. Her desire to go to the beach was stronger than her opinion of the 914 - old, noisy and prone to breaking down (in her mind).

Her comment at some point along the 1100 mile trip: "This isn't so bad"

She hasn't been in it since, however dry.gif

driving.gif
Puebloswatcop
I bought my '73 2.0 in 2001 for $800.00. My wife said I just waisted the money. One week later I took her for a ride in it. From 0 to 90 by the bottom of the I-25 onramp, suddenly she was in love with my little "money pit".

21 years later and we are still together, still have the '73 and have added the '74. Now she says its great for my attitude and she deemed them to be my retirement job. Gotta love these little gems.
flipb
My wife's chief complaints about the 914 are:
  • It smells (fuel, exhaust, etc.)
  • It's loud
  • It breaks down
  • It takes up the half of the garage that would otherwise be for her car

There have been about two occasions (in 12+ years) that I've taken her for a top-down drive on a perfect day and caught her smiling.

Fortunately, she tolerates it -- and me -- fairly well.
cali914
QUOTE(flipb @ Apr 12 2022, 07:21 AM) *

• It's loud
  • It breaks down
There have been about two occasions (in 12+ years) that I've taken her for a top-down drive on a perfect day and caught her smiling.

Ditto especially since it was a V8 with headers and no sound insulation.
930cabman
And they keep us around, that doesn't say much for the rest of the male species? driving-girl.gif
vitamin914
QUOTE(flipb @ Apr 12 2022, 10:21 AM) *

• It's loud
  • It breaks down

Hmmm... That's almost how my wife describes me... I smell, I'm loud, I take up half the basement and garage with junk...

QUOTE(930cabman @ Apr 12 2022, 03:21 PM) *

And they keep us around, that doesn't say much for the rest of the male species? driving-girl.gif

But who else will kill the big spider or empty the mouse trap?
RickS
My wife’s complaints

- The exhaust stinks
- it makes her back and bottom hurt (makes my butt hurt too on long drives)
- its too loud (stock 6 exhaust) but in her defense, it makes my ears ring so need to wear ear plugs
- worries about in breaking down. (I have only been left stranded 5-6 times in 12 years so discount her concern here. - besides now have AAA towing)

She loves it on short summer drives to lunch or quick trips through the country
Justinp71

My says "It's too low". It's pretty much just my street legal go cart smile.gif. Might as well have one seat... haha.
Front yard mechanic
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Apr 12 2022, 08:50 PM) *

My says "It's too low". It's pretty much just my street legal go cart smile.gif. Might as well have one seat... haha.

That's what I did to my Harley Solo seat
alruff@comcast.net
My wife is my test pilot. I met her at the 1978 PCA Parade in Aspen, CO. We've been married 41 years now. I can wrench on the car for days and let her drive it, and she will find several issues that I thought I solved but need more attention. Upon fixing those issues I cannot believe how much quicker the car is. At a track event she complained about a boxster out braking her on a corner. We added turbo brakes. Now it stops. The last thing I will add is a 6- cylinder engine, hopefully this fall. The old 2.0 4-cylinder AJRS modified engine will go in my daughters '75 914 2.0. I bought it from a neighbor when she was turning 16 for $50. I told her it was hers but it needed a motor rebuild. I got her a pair of coveralls and we wrenched it together. My daughter is now 35 and when the 914 needs some work she comes over with her husband and coveralls and we all wrench on it. Then my wife will drive it and let us know if we did any good!! It's a great life.
ClayPerrine
IPB Image

So much downforce it will stick to the ceiling!!!! poke.gif

rjames
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 13 2022, 08:20 AM) *

So much downforce it will stick to the ceiling!!!! poke.gif

av-943.gif
930cabman
I have yet to get my wife for a ride in one of the 4 914's, but did get her daughter. Wife will not ride in the 911S anymore, I hate this fuXXin car!!

She somewhat encourages my "hobby", keeps me away from the bars
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.