Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pertronix install experts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
steuspeed
I bought the 91847V Pertronix Igniter 2. The bottom edge of the red sensor is supposed to be at the same level as the lower edge of the magnetic pickup ring. It looks like the ring is about 1/16" lower than the pickup. Also, the pickup adjustment is all the way at one end of the range and it is still a slightly larger gap than the spec.

Comments please!
Van B
Why isn’t that base plate all the way down?

For the gap, mine was at the limit of adjustment too. If you need a little more just file on the slotted hole to give that extra .5mm
Rand
Back in the day, grinding was often necessary to get the fit right so the plates had full seating into place and free movement. Have things changed? It's sort of intuitive if you look at it and understand how the plates move... so you can figure it out. If it's still confusing... The guys assumed you were more mechanically adaptive than you are.
76-914
That gap isn't critical. beerchug.gif
steuspeed
QUOTE(Van B @ Apr 8 2022, 11:26 PM) *

Why isn’t that base plate all the way down?

It's all the way down. It kind of locks in so that it cannot move either. The kit comes with a spacer plate to add height, but I need to go the other way.
Van B
Yeah dump the spacer. I didn’t need it on mine.
Van B
QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 9 2022, 10:34 AM) *

That gap isn't critical. beerchug.gif

I agree it’s not critical, but you still want it toward the low end of the window for best performance. It is a Hall effect sensor so, the sharper the spike on the readings,the more accurate they are.
914Mels
QUOTE(steuspeed @ Apr 8 2022, 09:23 PM) *

I bought the 91847V Pertronix Igniter 2. The bottom edge of the red sensor is supposed to be at the same level as the lower edge of the magnetic pickup ring. It looks like the ring is about 1/16" lower than the pickup. Also, the pickup adjustment is all the way at one end of the range and it is still a slightly larger gap than the spec.

Comments please!

Your distributor plate looks pretty rough, the vacuum advance/retard needs to be able to pull it back and forth easily. The little ball bearing that holds the two plate halves looks like it's grease is solidified. The little braided ground wire it looking pretty sad too. You might also check the mechanical advance while you're in there, try twisting the rotor and see if it snaps back easily. The little felt wick under the rotor should get a drop of oil every tune up. If either of these things aren't working right your timing will be way off.
porschetub
QUOTE(914Mels @ Apr 10 2022, 12:57 PM) *

QUOTE(steuspeed @ Apr 8 2022, 09:23 PM) *

Comments please!

Your distributor plate looks pretty rough, the vacuum advance/retard needs to be able to pull it back and forth easily. The little ball bearing that holds the two plate halves looks like it's grease is solidified. The little braided ground wire it looking pretty sad too. You might also check the mechanical advance while you're in there, try twisting the rotor and see if it snaps back easily. The little felt wick under the rotor should get a drop of oil every tune up. If either of these things aren't working right your timing will be way off.

agree.gif what a mess,I would suspect the advance plate is all gummed as well and possibly not moving easily,after cleaning that you need to make sure you have the correct coil for this unit and good quality non copper leads otherwise you will damage the module,as per the instructions supplied with the unit ,could be a mention of the spacer which you don't need.
Good luck.
Robarabian
QUOTE(steuspeed @ Apr 8 2022, 10:23 PM) *

Comments please!

I videotaped my install when I did it..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l28fqIgxYB0&t=4s
wonkipop
i'm paying attention to this.
my supply of vintage points will run out.
steuspeed

[/quote]

[/quote]

Good call. The vacuum advance holds vacuum, but did not budge the plate. I removed the vacuum canister. What was left of the ground strap let go. I got the plate moving back and forth. Eventually removed it and cleaned all the grease off which was rock solid. Ready to re-assemble. What type of grease should I use?
mgphoto
Click to view attachment

This or, white lube
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.