Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What lights to use for flat towing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PanelBilly
I picked up the cheap set up from HF today and was thinking the lights could mount to the engine cover so they were protected by the targa bar. Was also thinking I could pinch them between the back of the seats and the glass.

Anyone else care to share what they have rigged up for lights?
914Toy
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Apr 9 2022, 04:17 PM) *

I picked up the cheap set up from HF today and was thinking the lights could mount to the engine cover so they were protected by the targa bar. Was also thinking I could pinch them between the back of the seats and the glass.

Your first suggestion works well - magnet ar the bottom of the lights attach to the engine intake screen. Used this many times.
JeffBowlsby
Can someone confirm for me…. To flat tow, the towed vehicle needs to have plates with current registration and proof of insurance right? A full trailer (not a tow dolly) is required if the towed vehicle does not have plates, registration and insurance. Correct?
Cairo94507
You are correct Jeff. If the tires are on the street/road it needs to be registered.
sb914
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 10 2022, 05:43 AM) *

You are correct Jeff. If the tires are on the street/road it needs to be registered.

I did not know that.You learn something every day.
76-914
FWIW, the HF magnets are minimal and should be fine until a sudden gust. Do yourself a favor and spend 50% more at a trailer supply or other reputable sales outlet. beerchug.gif
914werke
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Apr 9 2022, 07:09 PM) *
Can someone confirm for me…. To flat tow, the towed vehicle needs to have plates with current registration and proof of insurance right? A full trailer (not a tow dolly) is required if the towed vehicle does not have plates, registration and insurance. Correct?

No. Depends on the state. Most states just have a mechanical brake / weight requirement
Though OR does have a special breakaway equip. requirement over a specific weight.

Billy I have the same they work fine & are cheap just use some thin fabric or paper between magnets & eng. lid to protect the finish, I wouldn't use the screen
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Apr 9 2022, 04:17 PM) *

I have those lights, used for a couple years flat towing my track car. The first time out the lights fell over when placed at the base of a duck tail on the rear of the trunk. I screwed them to a couple of aluminum plates and mounted them upside down to the rack mounts under the targa bar.

While running at the base of the trunk, they are low, noticed people panic stopping to mis rear ending. Also notice that people looking to change lanes would see my suv and not the 914 (black car at night) and try to merge into it. I ran the running lights and that helped a bit. When I finally mounted to the targa bar, those problems stopped happening altogether.

In CA you’re supposed to run a break away cable and have mechanical brakes over a certain weight (I think it’s 1500 lbs, I forget). My race car is 1900 lbs and I did not, never had any issues. Yes, it also needs to be registered in CA.
Blue6
Jeff, the vehicle needs to be registered being towed wheels down or on a trailer. 4000a cvc even covers being moved on a roadway. For yrs on our way to the Glamis sand dunes, the CHP and Imperial county Sheriff would have check points set up. They would take unregistered buggies, quads and side by sides off of trailers for lack of registration.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.