Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.7 has narrow track width?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
NoFeO
Wikipedia's 914 page says the track width of the 1.7 liter 914 is narrower than all other models.

(inches)
914 1.7: 52.6 / 54.1
all other 914: 53.6 / 54.4

1) Is this correct?

2) If this is correct, what is mechanically different? suspension components, hub/knuckle, something else?

I see that the stock wheels are narrower for the 1.7, but the wider wheels of other models would not result in a wider track unless they also had a more negative offset. While this is possible, it would, I expect, be in conflict with the intended suspension geometry. The scrub radius would be increased, affecting steering behavior, among changes of other parameters. I don't think Porsche would do that. Am I wrong?

Thanks to all who reply.
waltonsm
From my research, the geometry of the a arms is identical for 911/914/930. Additionally, the struts have identical geometry. I haven’t measured the differences in the steel 914 steering rack support vs the 930 aluminum casting version, but I suspect they are identical geometry.

The 930 front bushing housing has different thickness to lower the front mounting point a couple mm. The only difference in the arms seems to be minor changes to ball joint alignment, sway bar style/attachment points, and the real difference of different torsion bar spline count.

The scrub radius is indeed very different for different wheel and tire configurations. There were different front hub thicknesses, wheel offsets. The Motorsports cars seem to often have increased scrub radius as result of packaging constraints.

Extending the control arms and moving the spindle on the strut body, seem to be the cleanest and most often executed options to manage this one you have picked your ride height and nominal camber.

I think there was initial design intent for scrub radius, but then they let the scrub radius move a lot in practice. My understanding was that the first real intended change occurred with the addition of abs in the 964. this offset could be much more easily managed for different configs with the knuckle casting/machining.

I am Happy to learn more about this, as I have spent a bunch of time researching, calculating, and modifying a set of struts/arms for my car so I can switch back and forth between two wildly different configurations.
Shivers
My 72' 1.7 had some skinny rims on it from the factory. Maybe like other references to width I've read, they are measuring to the outside of the rim.
emerygt350
Interesting. Nothing I have come across has shown any difference but wider wheels becoming available later in the run.

My car is about 14inches wider wheel base than stock (68.5) and it performs wonderfully. No suspension mods. Heading to Watkins Glen international speedway to do few opening day laps in about 30 minutes... Click to view attachment
brant
Yes it’s because of the narrow rims

Same reason that 914/6 Gt cars used to race on 6 inch rims
The track limits set in rule of the day
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.