Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Slowest lap ever
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
emerygt350
Was really looking forward to some laps at Watkins Glen International Speedway. The pace car drivers were either a) drunk b) too sober c) my great great grandmother. Not only were they slow as hell, they only gave us 2 slow laps and then we were off the track. So not cool. Anyway, my car was loving it so if you want to hear a 914 really wishing the Subaru would just go away for 5 minutes (you can't pass etc.), I took a video. The video was my cell phone hastily duct taped to the head rest on the passenger side. Gives you a funny sense of the Gs though.

One of the things I really like about my car is that it runs better after I push it, here I wasn't even pushing it hard (looking at you Subaru). There was a modern boxter behind me though and we had some fun. I tried my hardest to get squirrely by hugging corners and ignoring the apex but at these speeds it wasn't going to happen. The video is meh but the sound of the engine is good. Hottest the heads got was 312 the oil never even got to 190. Must have been 40 F up there today.

https://youtu.be/NviClrXkczw

p.s. I deleted the earlier footage which was mostly just me swearing at the pace car and the subaru.
infraredcalvin
Yes, POC says for lunchtime laps, if you’re having fun you’re going too fast…
Geezer914
Grandma had to be driving! Should have passed him! HA HA.
Unobtanium-inc
I've done some really slow laps....
BK911
Couldn't pass an SUV?
Oh my! biggrin.gif
Maltese Falcon
...they didn't tell me to drive slow..."Just don't pass the red 911".
This was at Thermal Raceway for the "Arrive + Drive 918 RoadShow" for 918 customers and +1 friend (me).
I did scoot up to the red 911's back bumper during the 5 lap experience aktion035.gif
Lap 1; hybrid mode/ Lap 2 hybrid + front elec drive assist/ Lap 3,4,5; Renn Mode pray.gif
That c/f unibody was TIGHT
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
emerygt350
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Apr 10 2022, 07:45 PM) *

...they didn't tell me to drive slow..."Just don't pass the red 911".
This was at Thermal Raceway for the "Arrive + Drive 918 RoadShow" for 918 customers and +1 friend (me).
I did scoot up to the red 911's back bumper during the 5 lap experience aktion035.gif
Lap 1; hybrid mode/ Lap 2 hybrid + front elec drive assist/ Lap 3,4,5; Renn Mode pray.gif
That c/f unibody was TIGHT
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Nice. I can understand the no passing rule but it can be frustrating. Still haven't found Renn mode on my 914 wink.gif
mate914
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Apr 10 2022, 04:00 PM) *

Was really looking forward to some laps at Watkins Glen International Speedway. The pace car drivers were either a) drunk b) too sober c) my great great grandmother. Not only were they slow as hell, they only gave us 2 slow laps and then we were off the track. So not cool. Anyway, my car was loving it so if you want to hear a 914 really wishing the Subaru would just go away for 5 minutes (you can't pass etc.), I took a video. The video was my cell phone hastily duct taped to the head rest on the passenger side. Gives you a funny sense of the Gs though.

One of the things I really like about my car is that it runs better after I push it, here I wasn't even pushing it hard (looking at you Subaru). There was a modern boxter behind me though and we had some fun. I tried my hardest to get squirrely by hugging corners and ignoring the apex but at these speeds it wasn't going to happen. The video is meh but the sound of the engine is good. Hottest the heads got was 312 the oil never even got to 190. Must have been 40 F up there today.

https://youtu.be/NviClrXkczw

p.s. I deleted the earlier footage which was mostly just me swearing at the pace car and the subaru.

I have done the parade laps at the Glen three different times. Each year they go slower and slower.
I would go to the historic car races. They were a blast, until most of the cars running were 70's English crap, 70 muscle cars, 70 993 GT3 cars,. They did that for the last four years, and it got old. No 914's, maybe one old 911, no 356's, The Glen needs to fix this or people wont go....
Matt flag.gif
Puebloswatcop
Please tell me you didn't have to pay for track time....what a waste. I have roads out here in Texas that are just as challenging and the speed limit is 60 not the 30 the pace car was setting.... WTF.gif
emerygt350
It was a fundraiser so just 25 dollars.
Shivers
Still looked like fun. Sounded good
emerygt350
Click to view attachment

You can pretend we are moving fast with your imagination.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Apr 12 2022, 02:55 AM) *

Click to view attachment

You can pretend we are moving fast with your imagination.

Just do like they used to do on Star Trek when the ship was crashing and slam yourself around the cabin with an pained expression.
mlindner
If your towards the back of the pack you hang back and then go like hell, over and over.
wonkipop
QUOTE(mlindner @ Apr 12 2022, 09:51 AM) *

If your towards the back of the pack you hang back and then go like hell, over and over.

a thinking man's response to the problem. beerchug.gif
always go at the back.
always have gear selection issues that reduce you to a crawl or induction fuel issues.
and then catch up ----
if marshalls ask any questions when you get back in just say it was running like a pig and you had to clear its guts out a few times to get it going.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.