Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bus engine - 914 conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
930cabman
I have a line on a decent (complete) engine with FI system removed from a 1975 VW bus. I can see it has the oil fill from a tube, different tin, exhaust, ...

Is this a reasonably easy conversion? The price is right.
thanks in advance
SirAndy
A bus engine is made to haul 5000 lbs of metal up a steep hill at low speeds. I can only assume that the torque and power band would be horrible in a 914.
blink.gif
930cabman
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 11 2022, 01:24 PM) *

A bus engine is made to haul 5000 lbs of metal up a steep hill at low speeds. I can only assume that the torque and power band would be horrible in a 914.
blink.gif

Agreed, I will rebuild 100% and probably be using the case and FI bits only.

It is an EDxxxxx case
Superhawk996
i wouldn't even assume you can use the FI bits.

Bus FI would have been tuned very differently. ECU's are really analog control circuits and are not capable of being retuned and/or reflashed.

This will need to be virtually free to make any financial sense.

914Sixer
NO chair.gif
Jack Standz
Respectfully, it doesn't make sense for the reasons already mentioned and others.

The flywheel and clutch are different, the cam/pistons/compression/tune aren't/isn't tailored for the 914, and how will you fill and check the oil? (without machining the case or cutting a hole in the firewall?) The heads might even have smog or air injection ports, that the 914 should do without.

Generally, bus motors have a hard life which takes a toll on pretty much everything (bearings, saddles, all wear items, etc.).

You'll be better off and likely much happier with a 914 motor in your 914.

Now, putting a 914 motor in a bus is a different matter, which we've done successfully. This happened (like 35 yrs ago) when the motor on the Westfalia broke and we had a good/usable 914 motor taking up space in the shed. 20-25% more HP helped the old bus. Today, would probably not do that to a 914 motor. They're getting harder to find good ones.
930cabman
Thank you, thank you and thank you. The price is right, but after hearing from y'all I will bail out.

VaccaRabite
The engine in my 914 was built off a bus case.
A case is a case.

but I agree that most of the stuff that makes it an engine won't work well. I think the crank is the same crank that is in the 1.7 and 1.8 engines. But the heads are different, and the pistons are as well.

If you are building an engine that will use oversize pistons (like a 1911) then the bus case and crank will work fine. You will need different heads, pistons, cam, etc. anyway. If you are building a stock motor, the bus stuff will not get you there.

Zach

Zach
wonkipop
bus engines are sought after by bus owners.
if the engines are any good.
worth more $ to them than to us?
i'm sure they are on the lookout for L jet components correct for their engines,
just like we are. its all getting thin on the ground.
rjames
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Apr 11 2022, 05:21 PM) *

The engine in my 914 was built off a bus case.
A case is a case.

but I agree that most of the stuff that makes it an engine won't work well. I think the crank is the same crank that is in the 1.7 and 1.8 engines. But the heads are different, and the pistons are as well.

If you are building an engine that will use oversize pistons (like a 1911) then the bus case and crank will work fine. You will need different heads, pistons, cam, etc. anyway. If you are building a stock motor, the bus stuff will not get you there.

Zach

Zach

agree.gif
Dave_Darling
Most of the Bus cases don't have a dipstick that will work in a 914, and they have a boss in the front (914 orientation) of the case that needs to be plugged. And the 914 dipstick installed, of course.

Some Bus cases have the oil breather tower closed over, and the casting needs to be cut off in order to use a 914 oil filler!

So it is not always correct that "a case is a case".

--DD
Badinfluence1
unsure.gif You wont be happy with the 80hp- and at 4k rpm it would feel like the space shuttle, get a 2.0 GC or GA case and build a 2056 with 9 to 1 compression, 110-120hp- then the car can pass on a hill and 4k rpm is fun..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.